fiduciary

Author Topic: You, Your Dremel and You! (a very basic tutorial)  (Read 59547 times)

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Kel-Qui
    • My "crazybrittishninja" YouTube Channel
Re: You, Your Dremel and You! (a very basic tutorial)
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
thanks guys you have been most helpful  ;D

Brilliant thread btw it has been most helpful to me

You're welcome.  BTW... if you don't have a set of metal hand-files readily available... you can use a disposable fingernail file... it will take longer... but that maybe the "finer" detail you're looking for.

I think that I will wait and get some metal hand-files as I think my wife would worry about me if she cought me going through her makeup bag for Disposable fingernail files LOL ;D

My Sabers
Spirit - Custom build by JQ Sabers
MR Luke ESB
MR Anakin ROTS <signed by Dave Prowse
Stunt saber no electronics
1 Half of the Twin Dragon - MHS custom build by me

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
And after the metal file(s) wears out, you can make a knife out of it/them. ;) ;)

MJ, if you have it, could you possibly make a video of the best way to clean off the metal burrs form a sinktube/other piece of metal without scratching up the surface? Or if no video, perhaps a little advice?

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »
True  :D

I've got a metal fingernail that I stole acquired from my wife... it works pretty good for smaller spaces.  If those lines you dremeled (which are very nice, BTW  ;) ) are only a dremel wheel wide, then even metal files won't fit between them.  That's where the fingernail file comes in.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:16:45 PM by Master Jedye »

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
And after the metal file(s) wears out, you can make a knife out of it/them. ;) ;)

MJ, if you have it, could you possibly make a video of the best way to clean off the metal burrs form a sinktube/other piece of metal without scratching up the surface? Or if no video, perhaps a little advice?

If it's on the edge of the sink tube, I would use a sanding drum (100 grit).  This is part of that "finishing" that I talked about earlier. 

If it's a line in the sinktube, like Kel has...or at a curve or an angle,  then the best option is still handfiles or fingernail files.  Really, with ALMOST every shroud, there is some area that my drum won't reach.. .so I need to take out the handfiles.    I may not have put enough emphasise on these in the original tutorial...but these are as essential to me as the Dremel.  On my bench, they are always in reach and I have several sets with lots of different shapes, sizes and grits.

Either way... hit the metal under a 90 degree angle... but not quite 45.  With both options, let the file or the drum do the work... don't apply a whole bunch of pressure.  You'd be surprised how much metal a hand file can take off.

If that's not clear, I'll take pictures.  Let me know.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:23:42 PM by Master Jedye »

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 06:17:52 PM »
Thank's MJ. I was wondering in specific abotu the sinktube edges. Thank's a load!

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2009, 06:24:13 PM »
Thank's MJ. I was wondering in specific abotu the sinktube edges. Thank's a load!

Good.

I may still post pictures... cause that's how I roll.  :D

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »
I just had a thought that I may not be using the correct type of disc for cutting with my rotoray tool the packet says that they are for slicing and cutting metal, wood and plastic but I seem to go through them quite quickly but not get that far when cutting not sure if that is normal or not, or maybe it's due to my cheapy rotoray tool?

Any way here are some pics of the disks maybe you can tell from looking at them if they are right or not

Edited, possibly the funniest unintentional misspelling I have ever seen, ....Chewbacca
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:50:21 PM by CHEWBACCA »

My Sabers
MR Luke ESB

Offline The Highwayman

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
Umm.. Kel, I think you meant discs... :D :D :D Ooooff... ;D ;D :o

MJ, pics would be more than great! They'd be superb. ;) 8) 8)

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
Those are re-enforced wheels and should be slicing though your sinktubes like butter.  I actually use Heavy Duty wheels (which are not as tough as what you're using).  I used them because they are thinner and I'm able to "sculpt" a little better with them. 

If you're burning through them, you might be forcing the wheel too much and going to fast.  Perhaps slow down a little. 

What rotary tool are you using, if I may ask?

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 07:14:51 PM »
Those are re-enforced wheels and should be slicing though your sinktubes like butter.  I actually use Heavy Duty wheels (which are not as tough as what you're using).  I used them because they are thinner and I'm able to "sculpt" a little better with them. 

If you're burning through them, you might be forcing the wheel too much and going to fast.  Perhaps slow down a little. 

What rotary tool are you using, if I may ask?

It has no make on it, it was a £5 one that I bought on Evil-bay as I could not afford a proper dremel but here is a pic of it if that helps

Now that you mention it I may be applying to much pressure as I am in a rush as I don't get long to work on it before I have to go to work  :D

My Sabers
MR Luke ESB

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2009, 07:58:23 PM »
I would suspect that if the RPM's are the same as a Dremel or Black and Decker... then the cutting quality will also be the same.  RPM's are RPM's are RPM's.  The difference will be  the lag you encounter... and how well the bearings hold up to that lag.  Your rotary tool may be prone to burning up quicker than say a Dremel Brand.  I'm just speculating though.

Also, those burrs you have... are also pretty indicative of forcing your dremel... going to fast.  Overall, I'd say slow down.  I know you don't have much time... but it takes LESS time to do it right, then to do it TWICE.  ;)

Here's a video... sorry for the poor quality, I did it pretty quickly so I could show you something.

Basicly, the point here is to file lightly and evenly.  Make sure your file has as much contact with the sinktube as possible... so what you do to one side, will also even out the other side.  This is another trick I learned from QUI-GON JINN.  I hope this helps.

Caden, I'll do a sanding video later (maybe this weekend)
Frodo, I haven't forgotten about you either.  ;)

EDIT:  Number one way to "anger" the wife... file a sinktube on the marble-topped dining room table.  If anyone needs me, I'll be asleep ... on the couch.  lol (just kidding... she held the camera)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 01:45:46 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 02:56:36 AM »
That was a brilliant vid, very helpful and informative the only thing is that the slits that I cut I did with a hack saw because there was so many and I thought that I would get a more even cut (silly me  :P), but that would proberly explane the pressure used to cut the slits and the amount of burring. I think that before I do any more work on this saber I am going to invest in some more tools. A basic tool list would be helpful!

Oh and yes you did say the name right on the vid, I felt all special when my name was mentioned LOL  ;D

My Sabers
MR Luke ESB

Offline Darth Frodo

• Experienced Force User
  • Ahhh..Does not compute..Ahhh..Your under arrest
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 04:49:48 AM »

think that before I do any more work on this saber I am going to invest in some more tools. A basic tool list would be helpful!
here you go
Edit : whoops forgot the link
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=8450.0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 04:52:15 AM by Darth Frodo »

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 05:21:26 AM »
think that before I do any more work on this saber I am going to invest in some more tools. A basic tool list would be helpful!
here you go

Thank's Darth Frodo I forgot all about that thread  :D

My Sabers
MR Luke ESB

Offline Master Jedye

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 05:36:08 AM »
here you go

Thank's Darth Frodo I forgot all about that thread  :D

That's a good list but as DT says, it's not all required.  When we started, all we had was a dremel, handfiles, sandpaper, soldering gunn and hotglue gun.  As we got better, we would buy a tool here and there.  First a Drill Press, then some other hand tools, soldering station, dremel station and other stuff that would make the job easier.
If you're just making a saber or two for your own enjoyment, then USE WHAT YOU HAVE ALREADY.  No sence in going out and buying a hundred dollar drill press if you're only going to use it once.  ;)  As you know, it's already an expensive hobby so let's not put the house up for a 2nd mortgage just yet.   ;)

Using a hacksaw, Kel-Qui was a good idea...especially if you used a miter box.  That would ensure pretty straight lines.  The dremel, however would have given you a cleaner cut. To ensure staight lines with the dremel, this is where the graph paper comes in. Make sure you're putting it on straight and that when you wrap it around the sink tube, your lines meet up in the middle and are even.  Then, slowly dremel out your pattern.

retrousse