fiduciary

Author Topic: The Golden Saber Challenge!  (Read 5374 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
The Golden Saber Challenge!
« on: March 30, 2021, 03:44:55 AM »
Ladies and gents, Jedi, Sith and Mandalorians! Following up from last year's successful Flashgun Challenge, the 2021 FX-Saber Forum build challenge!

Presenting, at long last:

The Golden Saber Challenge!

Inspired by the James Bond film of a similar name and Rebels' Kanan Jarrus, the idea behind this one is simple, but the execution difficult: to make a working saber that can be assembled and disassembled.

The Spirit of the Challenge:

-To make, in whatever way the contestants think possible, a working lightsaber that can be broken down in to multiple parts and reassembled, both internally and externally, with a minimum of tools. This is *not* just a matter of simply unscrewing an MHS saber, removing the chassis and calling it done.

-A finished saber should be made of multiple independent components. These parts should fit together in a way that requires no parts other than the independent components, and hold together as a functional saber.

-This can be accomplished in any way the contestants wish. If you want to make fifteen separate props so that you can take the barrel extension off your blaster and screw it into your droid caller’s frame and turn it on with your thermal detonator’s switch, then more power to you, but it isn’t a mandatory requirement. Conversely, Kanan Jarrus would also be accepted, but only if he broke his saber down even further.

-Corran Horn’s saber is an example of a halfway complete challenge saber: made from junk found lying around a cantina and scrapyard, and recognisable mostly as a swoop bike handle. Master Horn would be disqualified, however, as he meditated his saber’s internals into one solid piece that would be impossible to take apart.

Requirements:

1: Make a working custom saber, with or without sound.
2: That can be entirely assembled and disassembled with a minimum of tools
3: And incorporate multiple independent components

Eligible entries must:

1: Include a minimum of four independent sub-components
2: Light up, be disassembled, reassembled, and light up again
3: Be executed, to the highest extent possible, adhering to the spirit of these guidelines*

*What counts as a sub-component is entirely up to you, the builder. If you wish to claim that, say, your blade or blade retention screw is one of your four sub-components, that is entirely up to you as a builder. But remember, you'll be judged by our votes. If your fellow sabersmiths think that's a cheap move, they'll make that clear with their votes. :wink:

At it's core, the goal is a field strippable saber, but with enough artistic freedom that as long as it's field strippable, it's ok. if you want to make multiple props, go for it, if you want to make a saber where the 18650 is disguised as a Diatium Power Cell, that also, and anything in between. As long as it breaks down to  a minimum of four parts, reassembles, and lights up, it's acceptable. MHS parts, vintage flashgun parts, sink tube, anything goes.

To accept the challenge and enter, comment below saying that you're in. You can back out at any time.

Contest Dates:

The Challenge starts now, and final deadline Deadline is Thanksgiving (25th November 2021) At that time:

1. All contestants with a lightsaber that incorporates all of the above criteria will send a (yet undetermined, but) set amount of pictures, descriptive text and a short (5min max) video demonstrating disassembly and assembly, to FJK, who has graciously agreed to return as our Grand Adjudicator. FJK will provide some (as yet undetermined) guidelines on video hosting and anonymity, to ensure that the contest is fair.
2. Once material from all contestants has been received, FJK will create a voting poll that includes the received material
3. Voting will commence, open to all FX-Sabers members, for the voting period
4. Once voting is complete, and a winner declared, participants are free to post an all-inclusive, show-off thread

*as last year, don't post a Work-in-progress thread, this should be a surprise. 

As stated above, our guidelines for a final submission video are still in the works. However, as a general guideline, I'm going to include these suggestions by Eastern57 from the challenge discussion thread. Please be aware that they will most likely change/be overruled by whatever criteria our Grand Adjudicator comes up with.

Suggested video standard:

-Video submission must show the saber working, then must be visibly disassembled and reassembled to show continued functionality, with no video cuts.
-Video quality should be as high as possibly with good lighting and clear sight of the project with individual components clearly shown.  Video background should be as neutral as possible, recommend all white or mirrored surface with no additional background visible in the reflection.
-It is recommended that there be no dialog, video effects or additional sounds/music, the purpose of the submission video is to clearly show off your contest entry, NOT to entertain.
-Suggested format: <30 sec to show preliminary functionality, no more then 5 minutes to disassemble and reassemble (shoot for 2-3 minutes), <30 seconds to show continued functionality.

Final words:

As with  last year, this challenge is pretty much for fun. Your prize will be bragging rights over your fellow contestants, and another fine addition to your collection. No physical prizes or services will/shall be offered or bestowed by myself or any other member. This is for fun. And glory! :wink:

So, yeah. This isn't going to be an easy one. In fact, short of challenging y'all to come up with a working handheld plasma blade (with full RGBW),I'm struggling to think of a challenge that's that much tougher. The Flashgun challenge was a test of creativity, and this is going to be a test of sabersmithing ingenuity. It's a tall order, but I'm confident that we can rise to it, and I'm looking forward to see what everyone comes up with.

If anything's unclear, please don't hesitate to ask.

So, good luck, and may the Force be with us.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:45:13 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
Re: The Golden Saber Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 03:47:53 AM »
It should go without saying that I'm in.

Now watch this space to see if I fail five minutes from the deadline again  :tongue:
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Brooks

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 04:20:00 AM »
I'm in!

I'm certainly not known as a builder or designer but I can do this

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 05:42:02 AM »
I’ll be tossing my hat in the ring for this one. Time to get these old sabering juices flowing again.

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 07:56:09 AM »
I am in. This will be fun!

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 01:06:53 PM »
In :cool:

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 02:17:58 PM »
For a bunch of people who want to stay “contest anonymous”, you guys do a horrible job of being discreet.

Humans.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 06:49:06 AM »
For a bunch of people who want to stay “contest anonymous”, you guys do a horrible job of being discreet.

Humans.

:cheesy:
I don't really care about anonymous. I am in this to make a really cool saber that comes apart. Most people seem to be able to identify each individual's style anyway. Some of the ones in the last contest surprised me but overall you could see people's style in their builds.

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 11:14:04 AM »
I am definitely not building a lightsaber that is made of multiple pieces so that they can be concealed in plain sight and assembled when needed.  That would offend Imperial order.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:08 PM »

Humans.

I am all for member's self-promoting their works... To heck with the anonymity.  All in favor of no anonymous voting say Aye!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 02:01:01 PM »
I have no problem with it being an open ballot, but I think the final decision will be that of the Grand Adjudicator.
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2021, 05:19:13 PM »
I’m in!  Remind me on 11/1 so I can do it in the final 3 weeks again...or maybe give me 2 months for this one. I bet eastern is finished already   :grin:

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2021, 09:12:47 AM »
Anonymity is no longer an option now.

I'm in.    :cool:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2021, 10:05:40 AM »
Glad to have anyone who may (or may not) be onboard!  :wink: don't you just hate it when you're stuck in a quantum superimposition state like that?

And for anyone who hasn't joined, join us! Show us what you've got!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:49:17 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 05:59:09 PM »
I'm in!

This will be a lot of fun. I've got a few ideas for this I hope I can trick you all and maybe you won't guess it's mine.  :cheesy: Unless of course it's not anonymous.  :cheesy:

retrousse