fiduciary

Author Topic: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll  (Read 2919 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Unofficial 2021 challenge poll
« on: January 01, 2021, 03:42:08 AM »
I got bored of waiting for anyone else to do this and decided to show some initiative and get the ball rolling.   :tongue:

This is an entirely unofficial poll, I haven't consulted any mods about this or gotten any official permission. The results aren't binding, I just wanted to get a feel of what the Forum in general thought. The ideas are taken from the Possible Contest Ideas thread here https://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=54658.0

Here are the most popular options from that thread. My criteria is that any of the ideas that got referred to in replies as ideas that people wanted to try get a poll option.

- Iron Chef - Everyone has to use a certain part, e.g. an MHS booster section, a graflex clamp, an MHS pommel or blade holder, etc.

- Themed lightaber - blend your favorite genre, franchise, character, time period, era, steampunk, cyberpunk, atompunk, dieselpunk, any-punk, post-apocalyptic, superhero, video game, music group, tv show, art style, lightsaber maker, sword, gun, axe, hammer, sportsball team, ... literally anything!

- One-hand/Shoto/Padawan hilt - fully functioning, but short... e.g. not including shrouds, tip of blade holder to end of pommel no more than 6".

- The Jazz Challenge: Aluminium? Pah! Brass? Phooey, I say! Steel, copper and bronze? Get them out of my sight! Make a saber from non-traditional materials only. For practicality's sake, there would have to be some kind of metal core to hold the saber together, as well as nuts and bolts here and there, but outside that, anything goes as long as it's not Metal. 3D printed parts (within reason), sculpted epoxy putty, woodwork, glass, whatever you can come up with.

- The Jedi with the Golden Saber Challenge: Inspired by the Bond film of a similar name, the idea is simple, but the execution difficult: make a working duel-capable saber, that can be broken up into multiple parts and reassembled. Like Kannan Jarrus' but more extreme than a emitter-hilt split.

- Iron Chef-One Piece Twist: Same as the Iron Chef above. But, instead of having to use one MHS part, you can pick any one MHS part from the entire catalogue, and it's the ONLY MHS part you can use for the entire build (excluding some essential, non hilt parts, like LED holders/pixel connectors, switch boxes, etc)

*Edited to add 11/01/2021*

Added by popular demand

- Systems Theme Challenge:How about a Star Wars galaxy “system” challenge. Hoth, Bespin, Degoba, Corrusant, etc themed?

I've given the poll until the end of the month, two votes per head, with results hidden until the end so we can't be influenced by popularity.

So, get voting, and Happy New Year!

Thunder out.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 03:28:16 AM by SirRawThunderMan »
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: Unofficial 2021 challenge poll
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 04:26:18 AM »
Voted, thanks for posting this, man! :afro:

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »
Voted  :grin:
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline COUNT DOOKU

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The Count formerly known as Sollus Vir
    • Calvary Custom Sabers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 05:30:58 PM »
Voted.   :cool:

Pass on what you have learned. Strength. Mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters. ~Master Yoda~

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 09:59:56 AM »
Voted :lamp:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 11:01:34 AM »
Sorry, I think I kinda broke the secret nature of the poll while trying to edit my original post. And now I can't get it back to fully hidden again. I've set it to reveal after voting.

My bad  :embarrassed:
Better late than never.

Offline Nemezis

• Padawan Learner
  • Hello there..
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 03:41:08 PM »
Voted  :evil:

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi to all,dark side & light alike!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 12:17:13 AM »
Voted.Some great themes here,& the challenge varies greatly depending on individual build style!

Offline Darkmatter73

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 08:22:18 AM »
I have spoken.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »
Better late than never.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »
Voted. While I don’t have a great suggestion, not super excited about any of these options...certainly not as much as the flashgun.    The non Star Wars themes specifically don’t feel right.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 03:46:08 AM »
Voted. While I don’t have a great suggestion, not super excited about any of these options...certainly not as much as the flashgun.    The non Star Wars themes specifically don’t feel right.

Think of it like a Kenobi. We're making sabers, ergo, everything we make is Star Wars. From a certain point of view.  :wink:
Better late than never.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 06:34:11 PM »
Touché....I can agree, from a certain point of view.

How about a Star Wars galaxy “system” challenge.

Hoth, Bespin, Degoba, Corrusant, etc themed?  My initial stab at offering constructive feedback after throwing a wrench.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 07:46:47 AM »
Touché....I can agree, from a certain point of view.

How about a Star Wars galaxy “system” challenge.

Hoth, Bespin, Degoba, Corrusant, etc themed?  My initial stab at offering constructive feedback after throwing a wrench.

Don't get me wrong, I can throw it in the mix, but I feel that kinda falls under the same category as the Themed Lightsaber Challenge.

Tell you what, I'll apply the same criteria as I did for choosing challenges from the original post. If anyone else thinks a Star Wars Galaxy System Challenge is a good idea, write something like "I think this challenge is a good idea" in a post below and I'll add it to the list.
Better late than never.

retrousse