fiduciary

Author Topic: Build Log - Korbanth/89 Fallen v2  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Build Log - Korbanth/89 Fallen v2
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
Hello wonderful people of the forum!

I feel it has been way too long since I did a proper build log. So I simply told myself, let's do it! For this adventure, I'm going to be working on the Cal Kestis Fallen v2 hilt from Korbanth and 89 Sabers. Here she is out of the box and disassembled.

This should be a nice straightforward install. I'm going to design a custom chassis and load it up with a CFX but no neopixel. Sorry folks! Love me some neo but I'm still a luxeon guy!  :grin: That being said, I started off with the LED module. I'm using a simple 1" heatsink from TCSS but I had a small problem right off the bat...

It doesn't leave me with a lot of depth for the blade. Thinking of ways to rectify that, I though I might have to go the route of a custom machined heatsink. However I decided to give modification a try first. After some time on the belt sander and a burned finger or two later, the difference was night and day. It was a matter of shaving down both the aluminum casing and the copper heatsink itself.

This is more like it! A couple of set screws and that sucker will be solid!

There are definitely a few other mods I would like to make both functional and aesthetic. I will try to detail those as the build progresses. A solid start to what I feel is going to be a fun and exciting build. Stay tuned!

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Re: Build Log - Korbanth/89 Fallen v2
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 10:35:28 AM »
It's time to start doing some work on the hilt itself. I decided to begin with the damaged section. While the Fallen v2 already comes with such an aesthetic, the in-game hilt blossoms as if the hilt exploded from the inside out. I want to replicate that effect.

More of the core seems to be exposed on the left side of the hilt. My first task was to align the grip in a similar fashion. A mark with a sharpie indicates the very front of the grip and how I want it to align with the top half.

With that I removed the core from the pommel and obtained pliers of various sizes. Bending out the metal was a simple task from there. I am trying to mimic the blossom pattern as shown in the reference photo above.

The pliers even dug into the aluminum a bit, marring it and adding to the damaged effect. The nice thing about this process is that anything I do "wrong" (for lack of a better word) will only contribute to the aesthetic. After some of the initial bending, I took a hammer and began to knock on the part a bit. I would either scrape areas with the nail remover or knock back some of the jagged areas. It's a little difficult to see but here is an example.

After going back and forth with this process for a bit, the hilt currently looks like this.

There is definitely more I would like to do and I wouldn't say the blossom is where I want it yet. However, there is already a night and day difference from this first session alone and it is looking stellar!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »
I fooled around a bit more with the bending and twisting at the end of the grip and think I got it where I want it. Today I took some time to add the "scars" on the sleeve.

Using a combination of a cutting wheel and a grinding bit on my rotary tool, I created a few gashes in the hilt. Once again, I tried to match these similarly to some reference photos.

Much of the knurling near the destroyed end is disfigured and looks like the metal had been melted. Using the grinding bit once again, I wanted to try to recreate that. I knocked down many of the high spots to make them blend together. I also ran the bit along the edges of the blossomed metal. Although it was machined to look damaged, the edges were too clean. This helped to mar them and give a more realistic damaged look.

Not much to report today. Until next time!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 03:38:37 PM by Machinimax »

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 12:46:45 PM »
During the past few days I have decided to work on the chassis. Prior to the 3D modeling process, I wanted to make one modification. The threaded coupler is supposed to be locked in place by a series of set screws. While effective, there is still a chance the coupler could slip out of place. I decided to widen two of set screw holes and in doing so drill through the coupler as well. After tapping the new holes, a set screw will now pass through the hilt, coupler, and the chassis once made.

On to the chassis itself. I developed the model using Fusion 360. What began as a series of stacked cylinders...

...became this!

This rig will lmount a CFX, 28 mm bass speaker, 18650 battery, 2.1 mm recharge port and a single tactile button. Although the Fallen v2 has 2 built in plungers for switches, I'm going to opt for single button operation. The part is coming to life on the printer as we speak!

Knowing how the process of 3D printing a saber chassis goes, I will most likely find a fault or two in the design once I physically have it in hand. Only time will tell!

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
It has been a very productive 24 hours on this project.  After the chassis finished printing, I did find a few things that needed correcting as expected. Long story short, adjustments were made and the second iteration was sent to the printer. This one met with massive success!

While the new chassis was printing, I worked on the exposed power core. I simply started with the the greeblies that came with the kit and superglued them into place. Placement of these parts were important (to me at least %uD83D%uDE01) to help obtain screen accuracy. The next part was the metal rods that extend from the core itself. Fortunately it pays off to keep such parts in the a miscellaneous parts bin.

Similar to how I blossomed the metal at the base of the grip, it was a matter of experimentation until I got results I liked. Heavy duty pliers and a vice grip were key elements in making this happen.

A dab of superglue was used to hold them in place then I added some epoxy to provide full support. From here, the next step should be paint. We will tackle that next time.

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »
Time for paint, starting with the grip. It has been handled a lot already so I needed to start with a nice degreasing. Looking at reference images, the entire piece is not painted. The ring above the knurling remains bare. After masking it off, it was ready for color.

After a few coats and 24 hours, I wanted to wear away some of the paint near the blossomed metal. A touch of fine grit sand paper and steel wool did just the trick. As this will be a well handled part, I decided to bake it at 200 degrees for 20 minutes to help strengthen the paint. After baking it will be clear coated for extra protection.

While the grip was baking, I started painting the power core. I wanted a dark color but not black. I opted for a dark steel and I love it! Once that was ready to handle, it still looked too clean. I brushed on a combination of black and brown paints to add grime and give it more depth.

The emitter greeblies were simple. I added a coat of spray paint and then knocked the high spots with steel wool.

The grooves on the top half were a little trickier so I decided to paint them by hand. For the shallow grooves, I painted all along the circumference of the hilt and wiped away the high spots. It left some residue behind but I plan to do some dark wash weathering later.

Lastly the emitter. I needed to mask off certain areas for this part which easily took a good 45 minutes. Always a tedious process but always worth the results!

The only painting left to be done is the weathering of the top half. After that, it should be time for the install!

Offline ken

• Force User
  • in my experience there is no such thing as luck
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 06:48:08 AM »
looking great cant wait to see the end result
http://

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 05:33:40 PM »
Home stretch today! Started off with finalizing the weathering on the top half of the hilt. A touch of black acrylic paint did just the trick. I didn't want to do a heavy weathering job, just a bit of grime. I then added in the two emitter greeblies and sealed it off with a clear coat.

While the clear coat was drying, I put together the blade plug. I didn't have any spare 1 inch blade material but I did have some leftover tube from an old Master Replicas hilt I once converted. Epoxy was perfect for holding the parts together and I also added a touch of weathering on the metal as well.

That left me with only one thing, the install of the CFX. Needless to say that process speaks for itself. About two and a half hours later...

...and it brought me to the final product!

This was such a fun build and a great project. This kit was a huge step up from the v1. I hope this serves as a helpful guide for other owners of this hilt. Eventually I will get some glam shots and video up!

retrousse