fiduciary

Author Topic: Fear the unknown you shall not!  (Read 4299 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
Fear the unknown you shall not!
« on: February 16, 2018, 05:47:53 AM »

There are a lot of tales and misconceptions about Arduino sabers, the most prominent one is that one needs a degree in E/E to be able to use them, because they need extensive C-programming skills. Well, let's demolish this misconception once and for all. For that I've created a 12-step walk-thru to come from a bare Arduino based electronics like the DIYino Stardust, to a fully working saber core. It takes 15 mins on average :)

Instructions are available on the FX-SaberOS Wiki:
Setting up Arduino · Protonerd/FX-SaberOS Wiki · GitHub

My experiment subjects were all saber enthusiasts blessed with skills in turning raw metal rods into incredible saber hilts, but devoid of any programming skills or prior experience in electronics.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
Re: Fear the unknown you shall not!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 06:12:08 AM »
My confidence is definitely stronger in the doing stuff with metal department and, aside from that being a slow process and having a finished saber to install consequently being a rare occasion, I have been pretty phobic about getting hands on with the DIYino Prime I got from you (last year).

I guess aside from the (early batch) board I have being configured as Arduino Nano, everything else is as per your guide?

I'm planning on making a couple of simpler, quicker hilts while continuing to slowly work my way through my current, more ambitious (for me) build, so this is very welcome.

Thanks so much!  :smiley:

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:38:38 AM »
Muy Muy I love you!

This is great! Thanks for doing this. This will help when I get to my DIYino build also :)

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 03:55:02 AM »

This video is from a guy who shows great potential in creating awesome hilt designs, no experience in programming. It took him maybe an hour to figure out how to configure the code for neopixel, but after that he was happy with the result. He made this video to show his bare setup. He now has 3 of the Stardust boards, all set up with different configurations and he said he feels now comfortable using this platform for his future builds.

@Sethski: yes, some of the early Primes were still bootloaded with the Nano bootloader, all new boards from the last 1+ year come with that of the Uno. FX-SaberOS works with both perfectly

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:44:46 AM »
 I have a star dust 3 sound board. How do you set up the sound fonts on the sd card? Do you have a wiring diagram on how to wire it to a pixel blade?

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:41:05 AM »

Yes, everything you need is in the User Manual:
https://cdn.website-editor.net/85bc6b3df1aa41ad817a0ccdd84d8e64/files/uploaded/DIYino_Stardust_v3_User_Manual_v1.pdf[url]

The procedure to populate the SD Card is elaboreated in the UM too, but you can find on the FX-SaberOS Wiki a good description too. For a good, solid selection of Sound Fonts already prepared for the board you can simply download the Image from here:
[url]https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-SaberOS/blob/master/soundfonts/DIYino_Prime_SDCard_image.7z

Good luck!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »
Thanks.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
Ok I've been trying to get a green light on the board so I can get started on the help menu ;but, all I'm getting is a red blink light. I'm at a stand still. Is there a book available called programming a sound board for dummies? :sad:

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »
Ok I've been trying to get a green light on the board so I can get started on the help menu ;but, all I'm getting is a red blink light. I'm at a stand still. Is there a book available called programming a sound board for dummies? :sad:

I guess I can take this as nobody knows? I'm on my own? :rolleyes:

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 01:24:22 PM »
Hi Ben,

I know Obi has been busy lately and he probably missed your post.  I haven't used his Stardust V3 boards so I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.  What type of saber blade are you building?

Ok I've been trying to get a green light on the board so I can get started on the help menu ;but, all I'm getting is a red blink light.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  Do you have the SD card installed?  Is the saber booting up?

We've been putting together a wiki as time permits: Home · Protonerd/FX-SaberOS Wiki · GitHub  Most of the basic setup is described here.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 06:44:04 AM »
Thanks.

Offline Sincenatic

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 07:34:14 AM »
I am not sure, but it could simply be differences from different runs of the board. For example, I have DIYino from the first run and another later version, and some mini LEDs had been removed. There is no difference in functionally; it was just to save space on the board. You should probably just ask Andras before you spend hours looking for this.

Offline Obi_1

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »

Real sorry, I haven't checked this Forum for the last one week.

How to program the board is exactly what this thread is about. If you follow these steps you will be able to program your board:
[url][/https://github.com/Protonerd/FX-SaberOS/wiki/Setting-up-Arduinourl]

If you are stuck, let me know, best is if you contact me directly under: kun.andras@yahoo.de

Sorry again for the delay.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
That's ok my friend.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
I've gone to the hwh tab and it said it has all the saber codes ;but, it will not let me up load anything. It keeps saying erra ono board. I know I'm doing something wrong here.

retrousse