fiduciary

Author Topic: 1 die not working properly, pleaae help!  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
1 die not working properly, pleaae help!
« on: April 03, 2013, 08:50:47 AM »
Hi guys,

Yep its me again, and yep im plagued with problems again...

My current saber has:

CF 6.1
RICE
2x18650's
Color Extender
Tri Rebel RGrB wired 1-2-3
5mm kingbright RGB using main led signal
Everything is working properly except the royale blue. Last night when i made a clash via a knock or the aux button, the saber would turn off and need rebooting by kill key insertion and removal.
Now, when i ignite the saber, the royale blue is only half as bright no matter what setting i use for channel 3 (rB) and is static (no flicker). Every other die is working perfectly.

Before this problem, the red (channel 1) was set to 650ma and the rB (channel 3) was set to 900 ma. The 5mm kingbright rgb mimics the blade and follows the color mix so now that rB is static, the 5mm rgb is the same.

Can anyone help diagnose my problems please? Spent 13 hours yesterday working on this saber and although fatigued and brain strained i really wanna get this up and running. Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Re: 1 die not working properly, pleaae help!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 08:59:12 AM »
Did you use resistors from the main signal to the kingbright RGB?

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
Oops, left out the info again...

Yes, i used the small E12 series type resistors for the red but not the blue or green, reason being the blue and green main die uses 3.51v, but the RGB 5mm green and blue takes 4v each... Is this what is causing the craziness?

Offline JANGO FETT

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
Your kingbright may be pulling all the signal current, so that's why the main is not working. Hopefully it did not damage the driver.
I do not know the specs on your 5mm, but if it requires more than 30ma, per die you will need to find a different one to use.
I would remove the 5mm from all, and test to see if the CF6 functions normally.
If not, a driver or the MCU may be damaged
If so, resistor each die positive like an accent led.

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 09:25:41 AM »
Thanks Jango, i pray the driver is not damaged, but i fear for the worst since the ficker function has ceased to work...

The Vf of the 5mm blue is 3.3v, Vf max is 4v, with 20ma If and absolute max If 30ma... This is gonna be one of the worst things to happen to me cos cramming everything inside this hilt took me about 4 hours.. I'll try taking out the 5mm kingB tonight after work to see if it is the cause. Thanks Jango!

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
Being the awesome employer that I am, I'm playing with my man toys while working...

I just snipped all the wires to the 5mm Kingbright so it is no longer connected, unfortunately, the royale blue die is still very under powered. Could it be that it has ground or has a bad contact somewhere? Will these effects be caused if a main led is ground or contacted where it shouldnt be?

Offline JANGO FETT

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »
have you tried another led in place of the RB? Preferably something in the cool colors.

You could try to desolder and rewire a basic setup. I would remove accent leds and other extras and test as you go along. if it returns to normal, you'll know what the problem is and can rewire or replace.
I have a feeling it's the MCU.

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 10:46:36 AM »
Update:
That will def have to be done after work lol. When i can fire up the soldering station.

Just noticed that when i pull the kill key, the yoyale blue lights up a tiny bit (literally just very slightly illuminated), not sure if that can tell us anything? As you can see, im doing everything in my power to avoid a complete take down  ;D

Offline JANGO FETT

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 11:04:01 AM »
Pre driver or driver for the led3 could be burnt toast. Firmware prior to CF6 release was altered to eliminate that issue.

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 11:23:02 AM »
Pre driver or driver for the led3 could be burnt toast. Firmware prior to CF6 release was altered to eliminate that issue.

Does that mean its def not a bridged/incorrectly crossed connection?

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 12:03:13 PM »
Do us all a favor and take a picture of your wiring and also provide a schematic of how they're hooked up in case you cant take a picture of the CF6 and CEX in the same picture.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 12:34:49 PM »
It could be a short but more than likely the driver is blown with that description.  As PJ said pics would be helpful.

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 02:02:05 PM »
A big thanks to all those who helped! Besides not being able to post pics presently (not very helpful on my part i know) i have located the problem, the heat coils on the colour extender have those reel wheels (the grey/black heat sinks) of which i have cracked with my awesome skills and masterful cram fu-over-do. Cracked to the point where 1/4 of the plate has gone and joined the force...

I am awesome

Thanks to all those who helped again, if it were not suggested that the driver was burnt out, i probably would've ended up spending 20 hours rewiring and rebuilding the whole thing, so thanks for literally saving my life! Now time to rethink the design and order more parts! ;D

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:03 PM »
Are you in the US or Europe?  If in the US shoot me a PM and I will repair the CEx.  If in Europe contact erv for repair.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline Padawan23

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 02:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the offer MH, im in UK... I didnt even think of getting it repaired, DOH!!!! I just literally purchased a new one from Erv's lab, there were 12 and now there are 11...

Silly me. May send this one to pay for repair as well as keepin the one i just bought. Thanks for the heads up! ;)

retrousse