fiduciary

Author Topic: My Review of the Darth Maul-Double Sided  (Read 13413 times)

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
My Review of the Darth Maul-Double Sided
« on: July 18, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
Well, I come home and see that great brown box sitting by the front door!

After opening it, i see how it's packaged, they're lined up side by side in the typical FX way.
If you get this saber, do the right thing, don't turn it on until you have it put in Double Mode!  ;)
The Coupler is a bit tricky at first but if you actually read the instructions, then it's very easy!

After lighting it up i saw that the blade was actually red, not orange like many pictures show!
It has a very nice sinister sounding hum to it, and the swing sounds are very responsive, more than my Anakin or Obi-Wan!

So I took the two halves apart, held only one side, and found that this thing is way off balance, I remember seeing a NYJedi Video where the instructor was talking about balance points in a sword, so i tried to find the point on the single bladed Maul, and it's about 2 inches away from the emitter...On the Blade  If you use the coupler instead of the regular endcap though, it helps to balance the weight very much!

I have no idea how long these batteries last, because i don't have time to test them! Any help there?

Anyway,I give this saber a 9/10

I took away 2 points for being unbalanced and the rumored short battery life, but gave a point back for the pure cool factor of the double blade!  ;D

Here's a video i made to show how the hilt looks, NOTE: The blade does not actually look like this, the video camera automatically overexposes it! I do like the resulting effect though!

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
Re: My Review of the Darth Maul-Double Sided
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 03:22:08 PM »
Congratulations on getting the saber.  Nice video too.  The reason why when the saber is seperated it feels off balance because all of the weight is towards the emitter because of the electronics and blade.

The other reason too why a lot of pictures show it as more of an orange is I don't think people had the settings right on their camera and plus a lot of cameras due tend to show red as more of an orange with something like this than it's true color.

I'm glad you did not do what I did with coupler and tightened it so tight that you ruined it and couldn't line up the saber properly. :P  Luckily for me though I was able to get a new coupler from a friend of mine in a trade and I lined up the saber properly while reading the directions. lol

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 03:33:50 PM »
Congratulations on getting the saber.  Nice video too.  The reason why when the saber is seperated it feels off balance because all of the weight is towards the emitter because of the electronics and blade.

The other reason too why a lot of pictures show it as more of an orange is I don't think people had the settings right on their camera and plus a lot of cameras due tend to show red as more of an orange with something like this than it's true color.

I'm glad you did not do what I did with coupler and tightened it so tight that you ruined it and couldn't line up the saber properly. :P  Luckily for me though I was able to get a new coupler from a friend of mine in a trade and I lined up the saber properly while reading the directions. lol

well, actually what i did with the coupler was, i just put it on without adjusting it, and when i saw the buttons didn't line up i freaked out a bit! lol, THEN i read the instructions!

PS: What did you trade for the coupler?  ???

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 04:20:31 PM »
One of my end caps because my friend who makes static saber hilts (Ozawpie on Rebelscum) needed it for the red crystal for the battle damaged Maul he made for someone.  I was luckly enough able to buy another end cap so I am good to g.o. :)

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 06:21:49 PM »
Wow, lucky you! :D

I almost forgot to mention this, but when the 2 sabers are on at the same time, you get a flanger type effect with the idle hum, if you don't know what flanger effect is, it's this

I personally describe it as a Fighter Jet Taking off!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »
 :D
i had a lot of fun reading your review and i just love that video and music score my friend!!Congrats to you on your sabers and good job on that video!! ;D ;D

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 07:12:41 PM »
thanks! if the obi-wan was a luxeon, there woulda been a some dueling going on
Actually, i see Luxeon in the Future for this Maul ;)

P.S.10 more posts before 2K for you, make it count!

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 07:26:10 PM »
Very nice my friend. Congrats on  having this hilt. Dang... everytime someone does reviews like this I wanna go out and buy this one immediately.

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »
well if it makes you feel any better, i got it off the MR website, and just today i saw that Spencer's Gifts was selling the double for $99 :o, but i think they sold out

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »
Very nice my friend. Congrats on  having this hilt. Dang... everytime someone does reviews like this I wanna go out and buy this one immediately.

You mean to tell me you do not have a full Darth Maul FX saber yet? .........................What is with you man!? lol

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 10:23:27 PM »

You mean to tell me you do not have a full Darth Maul FX saber yet? .........................What is with you man!? lol
This is Blasphemy! This is Madness!!!!
This Saber is Awesome!

Seriously though, get one! you won't regret it!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 11:15:02 PM »
Great review there Msby! :) I really enjoy when a good review is written on a Sith saber such as the Darth Maul. 7 Feet of delicious sithy saberiffic goodness it is!

It's a shame the MR didn't get the chance to put forth more Sith Sabers! :(

Offline Yukiel

• Master Force User
  • LAKES FLOATING IN SPACE!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 11:49:45 PM »
I wish I could afford a full Maul right now. JSS is holding one for me, Force knows when I'll actually be able to buy it.

...LAWNMOWING JOB POWERS, ACTIVATE! FORM OF: TEENAGER MOWING LAWNS FOR MONEY!
..Actually, that'd take forever.

Nice review! I really loved the side shots. Force I want this saber now! *bangs head on non-existant desk
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 12:02:48 AM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Am I alive or dead?
rip sabers

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 12:04:31 AM »
I wish I could afford a full Maul right now. JSS is holding one for me, Force knows when I'll actually be able to buy it.

Nice review! I really loved the side shots. Force I want this saber now! *bangs head on non-existant desk

LOL! :D Yukiel has just won the award for: "Most inventive use of Wonder-Twin Powers Satire EVER!" ;D

I hope you can get that Maul soon enough Yukiel. You'll love it! :)

Offline Msby

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

thanks!

mowing lawns? that might work, i'm sure you'll think of something! the end result will be worth it!

retrousse