fiduciary

Author Topic: The Flashgun Challenge  (Read 14198 times)

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
The Flashgun Challenge
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
 :lamp: I had an idea for a challenge, just for fun, but I'm hoping some will accept... and help make this a fun, mind-expanding thing.  I've already offered it up to some of my lightsaber-building peers, and they have graciously accepted - so now we extend the challenge to everyone else.

The challenge has 3 requirements:

1. To construct a working custom lightsaber, with or without sound...

2. Using a flashgun*, flashgun parts, flashgun replica, flashgun replica parts, or raw parts...

3. Incorporating recognizable flashgun elements to the extent that said elements compliment a unique & creative design.

*Flashgun and all elements include, but are not limited to: real or vintage camera parts, flashgun-based lightsaber kits & parts (e.g. korbanth, Parks, MR/Hasbro), or raw parts fabricated to resemble flashgun parts, Graflex, MPP, Heiland, Graflite, Bosley-Praco, etc.

A completed, eligible hilt must:

1. Include visible flashgun elements, either existing or fabricated
2. Light up
3. Not be solely an existing, single hilt (e.g. skywalker, vader, starkiller), but distinctly different
4. *Be executed, to the highest extent possible, adhering to the spirit of these guidelines

*in simple terms, this should be a "custom lightsaber based on a flashgun." You interpret what that means, and your integrity and judgement will determine how you adhere to that statement.

To accept/enter, simply post you intention to do so in this thread.

The deadline is 8 October 2020.  At that time:

1. All contestants with a lightsaber that incorporates all of the above criteria will send a (yet undetermined, but) set amount of pictures and descriptive text, with identities obscured to the highest extent practicable, to an alternate, non-participating, 3rd party
2. Once material from all contestants has been received, said 3rd party will create a voting poll that includes the pictures and text of all received material
3. Voting will commence, open to all FX-Sabers members, for a (yet undetermined) voting period
4. Once voting is complete, and a winner declared, participants are free to post an all-inclusive, show-off thread

*Don't post a Work-in-progress thread, this should be a surprise. 

Also, don't be afraid to ask for and provide assistance to fellow contestants... this is, after all, just for fun. :wink: :azn:

The Winner receives bragging rights, eternal glory, and above all, the respect (grudgingly or graciously) of their fellow contestants, FX-Sabers members, and staff.  Nothing else.  No physical prizes or services will/shall be offered or bestowed by myself or any other member.

This should be an expression of one's creativity... paying homage to the many variations of flashguns - without which, there would be no lightsabers, no lightsaber fandom, and no community of FX-Sabers.

This challenge is offered to you, and your creativity, to showcase what you can come up with.  I surmise that a good fair bunch of you all could, not only give me a run for my metaphoric money - but could also deliver me a solid tushy-smacking that will send me back to my work bench in shame. :mad: :shocked:

Please ask question if something above is not clear - Hope you join us!  :afro: :azn:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:07:26 PM by eastern57 »

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: The Flashgun Challenge
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »
Needless to say, I plan on submitting an entry. :azn:

To my aforementioned lightsaber-building peers who will be joining me, feel free to identify yourselves. :grin:

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
I am in, and will likely embarrass myself, but will have fun doing so! 

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:55:52 PM »
 :laugh: :cheesy: oh good, you and me both. :wink:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 04:29:48 PM »
I'm in. Got a couple of ideas brewing for this one. including one that miiiiiiight be stretching the rules a little...
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »
That's awesome!  ... that's also a judgement call, as a growned-up man, you decide. :wink:

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 04:56:34 PM »
Aw heck I think I may give it a go

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »
Well there’s your leader in the clubhouse (bad golf analogy.)

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Nah there’s already plenty of challenge here

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »
Humbleness is a virtue. No offense to Eastern and Thunder, but I saw the video of the saber you built for Space and it’s outstanding!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 01:47:29 AM »
Well, if there was anyone I wanted to call out for the challenge, it was DC. Glad to see you've made your way over, man!
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 02:33:13 AM »
Well, if there was anyone I wanted to call out for the challenge, it was DC. Glad to see you've made your way over, man!

Same.

Welcome, DC!  And, oh god, be gentle. :shocked:

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 03:25:21 AM »
Enter I must, what I find is only what I take with me....or something like that!

I've had 2 flash units sitting in a box for nearly 7 years now, hopefully this competition will let me solve this.

Bombs in.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
...so, any rules on multiple entries?
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 08:56:06 AM »
Not that I know of.... I have two ideas, I'm reasonably sure one or both can make it to the finish line...

retrousse