fiduciary

Author Topic: Rogue One: have you seen? Did you like it? (No Spoilers please, only opinions)  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
I've seen the film on Thursday, have been waiting for it for months now, and it was worth it!

By far better than TFA IMHO. All expectations fullfilled. I wanted to Star Wars inspired war movie, and I got it!

How did you feel about the film?

NO SPOILERS please!

Offline Drewbacca

• Padawan Learner
  • Fly Casual
I absolutely loved it! I enjoyed it more than TFA too! I won't say much more to avoid spoiling it. And how about Jyn Erso?? I liked Jyn more than Rey too! Phenomenally done. Best thing Disney has done yet.  :grin: 
Fly Casual.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
I loved it. I'll have to see it a couple more times before I can really decide more than that.

Offline Asoka Tano

• Experienced Force User
I saw it twice (back to back). I loved it! The 3D version, however, was awful. So many things were totally out of focus...
VV Kanan Jarrus ("Dume")
VV Obi Wan CW ("Negotiator")
VV Sith Acolyte

Offline Kanjiklub

• Force User
  • Those Little Freaks
I saw it in 3D ultrascreen,and it was way too dark. I need to go back this weekend see it in 2D.

However, great movie!!! Was not expecting it to be this good.

Offline Guylo Ren

• Padawan Learner
  • Hi to all,dark side & light alike!
I was lucky enough to get tickets for the midnight showing on the 15th (I'm in the UK).Honestly I didn't love it as a film,all the Imperial hardware on show was fantastic,but the only new character I really liked was K-2SO (hilarious,had all the best lines!).Not meaning to rain on the parade but it had nowhere near the impact of TFA for me personally.
Only my opinion,though- I hope everybody else continues to love it!  :smiley:

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
So much better than I expected. Totally awesome! and oh man! The last ten minutes  :huh: :huh: :grin: :grin:

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Loved it for what it was. Next year will be the movie of the year!! :grin:

Offline Modern-Day Warrior

• Force User
Truthfully I had a bit of a hard time getting into it for the first hour or so. Lots of characters and locations getting thrown around and some that I felt were totally shoehorned in without much cohesion. I actually found myself checking my watch every once in a while. But once it finally got rolling I was very much on the edge of my seat. I  loved the characterization of one certain older character that made appearances. Won't say who for spoilers. I wish they had spent a bit more time developing fewer new characters more in depth than introducing so many new but frankly pretty shallow characters. Walked away not raving about it, but definitely satisfied. (And man, that ending!).

Can't say I was totally blown away, but definitely something I'm going to see again for another consideration. The more time I've had to think about it, the more intricate and satisfying it felt, as far as character motivations and not just good guy, bad guy. Still though, I felt like some characters were just thrown in there for a certain level of action appeasement but not really given anywhere to grow.

Edit: And I have to say, the visual effects were absolutely stunning. The near-realism of everything (Yes, everything. You know what I'm talking about ;) ) was incredible. Especially loved all the planetary shots with the Death Star. Beautiful. Music on the other hand, I wasn't all that impressed by. I know it was meant to be its own stand-alone deal, but the themes just never really stuck with me. I probably couldn't hum anything memorable (Besides the obvious), unlike TFA, which felt instantly memorable to me even with new themes.

Yeah, I know. Probably way more than anyone cares to know about.  :grin:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 06:46:43 PM by Modern-Day Warrior »

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
Loved it! All it's little flaws gave it character, there were shades o' grey aplenty, even some surprise cameos. The third act is the amazing, stunning reward for those that go, both newcomers and veterans of the series, as it grabs hold and doesn't let go, all the way till the credits roll.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
It was okay.

Offline Wookiee Man

• Experienced Force User
  • A.K.A Tom Cruise
IMO it's rank 2nd behind ESB!!  Great movie - gonna see it again & again!! SW classic

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
I loved it. Saw it twice.

Didn't know what to feel the first day. I was digesting the whole thing.

Thoroughly modern movie... fast paced... maybe too fast for me. But once I took it all in, I was all-the-way in.

This movie renewed my faith that Disney can do right by this and not just the fan-service stroking of TFA.

Offline NinjaPirateAssassin

• No Force
  • >_>
Saw it, thought it was pretty good. 3rd act was amazing, some of the best stuff in all of Star Wars IMO, but I felt the movie was downright bad in the second act and just okay in the first. Very little character development, lots of "We're doing this to get these people together and then to go from setpiece A to setpiece B" type moments.

I could see what they were trying to do, but felt the execution wasn't as good as I wanted it to be and the acting was inconsistent.

Over all, I put it behind TFA, ahead of RotS. My movie order goes 5,4,6,TFA,R1,,,3,,,,,1,2.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
I guess in a fast paced movie there is not much room for character development, more so because it is - even without having seen the film - quite foreseeable what is going to happen with said characters. Other characters we already knew from OT/Sequels, they did not need development, just consistency. And that was given to a high extent.

What I liked especially was the though decisions the characters were faced with during the film. There were unexpected events needed attending and it was depicted in a perfect manner how hard it is to make such decisions with potential grave consequences in the heat of the moment. I saw a perfect war movie set in a Universe drowned in a dirty civil war. It was not the space-fairy tale, it had a different flavor, a different genre alltogether. I think they made the best out of it.

With my brother we were thinking out loud about something we remembered from OT, which was the Death Star plans being stolen by Bothan spies. I did not see any...? Or were they the plans for the 2nd DS?

retrousse