fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91592 times)

Offline wingsaber

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2018, 05:03:47 AM »
I put 30k if it is ok and I changed the code too. it doesn't say low power and shows normal but when I open still no light

So what does your blades[] array look like?
You probably also need to change config_files/v1_config.h and change spiLed* to the right values for you.
(I should probably make those arguments to FastLEDBladePtr<>())
Code: [Select]
spiLedDataOut = 11,
  spiLedClock = 13,
these lines? Actually, What should I know to change them? I have no idea.

http://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61gwhjlLiiL._SX522_.jpg
I have this SD card module I guess I can use this with teensy too. I guess having apa102 was mistake.

and the last thing is when sounds come from the speaker for example low power it looks like speaker damaged but it is not, I tried new and it was same. This happened today. yesterday, It wasn't like this.

Actually, spiLedDataOut/SpiLedDataClock & spiLedSelect look correct and *should* work. (I was looking at the wrong file.)  However, because serialflash and fastled share the SPI bus, it's possible that it could affect the sound. Fastled/APA102 stuff is pretty much untested, so it's not clear if additional work is required for it to work.

An easy change would be to limit the fastled updates to 100 updates per second and see if that fixes the sound issues. The current limit is 1000, and is implemented in FASTLED_Blade::Loop() in blades/fastled_blade.h

I have no idea if that SD card module will work with the teensy. It seems likely, but without knowing the specs there is no way to know. If nothing else, this one is pretty handy: Teensy 3.x/LC slim micro SD card adapter from Fusion on Tindie

protected:
  void Loop() override {
    if (!powered_) {
      loop_counter_.Reset();
      return;
    }
    int m = millis()< 100;
    // This limits the blade to 1000 updates per second, which
    // may not be enough for POV-style things, but I suspect
    // than running it at full speed will cause sound problems.
    // Note that the FASTLED code is so far untested, so it might
    // not work right.
    if (m == last_millis_) return;
    last_millis_ = m;
    current_style_->run(this);
    Show();
    if (allow_disable_) Power(on_);
  }

I did this if it is correct but sound still same and I soldered sdcard. and changed pin number as 10 and it didn't see that too. and lights no go. I guess. I will stop doing it. thanks for the help

Offline miib123

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2018, 07:43:21 AM »
I put 30k if it is ok and I changed the code too. it doesn't say low power and shows normal but when I open still no light

You probably also need to change config_files/v1_config.h and change spiLed* to the right values for you.
spiLedDataOut = 11,
  spiLedClock = 13,

I have this SD card module I guess I can use this with teensy too. I guess having apa102 was mistake.

and the last thing is when sounds come from the speaker for example low power it looks like speaker damaged but it is not, I tried new and it was same. This happened today. yesterday, It wasn't like this.

Actually, spiLedDataOut/SpiLedDataClock & spiLedSelect look correct and *should* work. (I was looking at the wrong file.)  However, because serialflash and fastled share the SPI bus, it's possible that it could affect the sound. Fastled/APA102 stuff is pretty much untested, so it's not clear if additional work is required for it to work.

An easy change would be to limit the fastled updates to 100 updates per second and see if that fixes the sound issues. The current limit is 1000, and is implemented in FASTLED_Blade::Loop() in blades/fastled_blade.h

I have no idea if that SD card module will work with the teensy. It seems likely, but without knowing the specs there is no way to know. If nothing else, this one is pretty handy: Teensy 3.x/LC slim micro SD card adapter from Fusion on Tindie

Just for information... I'm using the same module and it works great. The problem is, it's too big and it won't fit into prop shield. I'm testing some other low budged adapter solutions right now. When i'm finished, i can make a report? :)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2018, 08:14:35 AM »

spiLedDataOut = 11,
  spiLedClock = 13,

protected:
  void Loop() override {
    if (!powered_) {
      loop_counter_.Reset();
      return;
    }
    int m = millis()< 100;
    // This limits the blade to 1000 updates per second, which
    // may not be enough for POV-style things, but I suspect
    // than running it at full speed will cause sound problems.
    // Note that the FASTLED code is so far untested, so it might
    // not work right.
    if (m == last_millis_) return;
    last_millis_ = m;
    current_style_->run(this);
    Show();
    if (allow_disable_) Power(on_);
  }

I did this if it is correct but sound still same and I soldered sdcard. and changed pin number as 10 and it didn't see that too. and lights no go. I guess. I will stop doing it. thanks for the help

That's not correct, you'll need to do something like:

if (m - last_millis_ < 10) return;

Offline sweepsLoy

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #438 on: April 04, 2018, 06:44:07 PM »
Hey everybody.  After building a few dozen empty hilts, I've started getting into electronics.  Now that I've done a couple of cheap sound board installs, I'm pretty sure that Teensy is my future.

I've been digging through this thread and learning a lot.  I've got a few questions though.

I'm confused about the differences between the Teensy Saber showcased here and the PJRC Prop Sheild.  I also found a Lightsaber Prop Sheild from Tindie.  Are all of these basically the same?  Any major pros or cons?

Thanks for your help- I'm very psyched to dig in.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #439 on: April 04, 2018, 09:19:56 PM »
Hey everybody.  After building a few dozen empty hilts, I've started getting into electronics.  Now that I've done a couple of cheap sound board installs, I'm pretty sure that Teensy is my future.

I've been digging through this thread and learning a lot.  I've got a few questions though.

I'm confused about the differences between the Teensy Saber showcased here and the PJRC Prop Sheild.  I also found a Lightsaber Prop Sheild from Tindie.  Are all of these basically the same?  Any major pros or cons?

I don't know anything about the tindie one, but the teensysaber is roughly equivialent to a prop shield + FETs + voltage booster + sd card reader.

Let's start with the similarities:
Prop shields and Teensysaber V3 both have: gyro, accelerometer and an amplifier.
TeensySaber V3 also has: 3x FETs (with room for three more), a voltage booster that let's the amplifier run at full power (makes 5 volts out of 3.7 volts from the battery.) and an SD card reader.
Prop shield has things that the TeensySaber V3 doesn't: It has a compass, pressure sensor, 8mb serialflash memory (which is faster,  but not really big enough for lightsaber sound fonts) and some 5v gates that are useful for driving dotstar led strips.
Finally, the teensysaber amplifier is a little more powerful than the prop shield. (3w vs. 2.6w), oh, and the teensysaber is a bit smaller than the prop shield at 1.3" x 0.7"

It's perfectly reasonable to build a lightsaber from a prop shield. (I have one in fact.) the biggest problem is that it will end up a little bigger in size, which may or may not fit properly in some lightsabers.

Offline bobi-one

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #440 on: April 05, 2018, 03:36:35 AM »
Interesting board ENCHANT - Prop FX Controller - The Firebrand Forge , it will be interesting to see the sourcebase though. It looks compatible with v2 config
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:41:44 AM by bobi-one »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #441 on: April 05, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »
Interesting board ENCHANT - Prop FX Controller - The Firebrand Forge , it will be interesting to see the sourcebase though. It looks compatible with v2 config

It looks like a TeensySaber clone with the USB charger from DIYino added to it. Maxing out copy+paste?
It seems there are a lot of copy+paste clones lately. Just the other day I've seen a video on Facebook showcasing a kind of SmoothSwing saber, guy claiming he had many years of experience in building saber board. Watching the video I had the very strong impression that all software features were copied from Teensysaber and FX-SaberOS. I mean - honestly and just between the few of us on this expert forum - I love seeing home-brew solutions, it really gives folks a sense of accomplishments to build one, even though everything is laid out for them. But why on Earth must someone who made one clone claim the next day he is a pro, and try selling the stuff he so obviously ripped off from other sources. But even if he does, giving credit to the original source is always a nice gesture. Just my 2 cents.

Offline bobi-one

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #442 on: April 05, 2018, 07:14:52 AM »
Check the video,  functionality is bad. I guess this guy just got the idea for IMU and amp. nevertheless its a simplified board, which is not bad.
Yeah I also saw the post about the super duper (1st of a kind) sound mixing solution, it was shared by the guys who claim that their sabers were in episode 7.
 Conclusion: ..we shoudnt care at all :).

Saber community must be an open source community. On the other side there is allways the GPLv3.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #443 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:08 AM »
Worse sound playback ever heard. I recall he tried a kickstarter out of it but just got a kickout. It indeed looks like a teensy saber reboot but its hard to believe how bad it is.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #444 on: April 05, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »

As anyone in this thread will know, it's a challenge to get this stuff working convincingly. That said, it was hard not to notice that the sound transitions were pretty gappy. I think the video spent too much time showing the extra light-show and juke-box features and not enough showing that basic operation was mastered. I wish the firmware link weren't dead or we could see how much code was shared in common with the good 'ol Teensy Saber.

Oh well. I think, profezzorn's dominance in this category is safe for the time being.  :smiley:

Offline sweepsLoy

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #445 on: April 06, 2018, 06:22:10 AM »

I don't know anything about the tindie one, but the teensysaber is roughly equivialent to a prop shield + FETs + voltage booster + sd card reader.

Prop shields and Teensysaber V3 both have: gyro, accelerometer and an amplifier.
TeensySaber V3 also has: 3x FETs (with room for three more), a voltage booster that let's the amplifier run at full power (makes 5 volts out of 3.7 volts from the battery.) and an SD card reader.
Prop shield has things that the TeensySaber V3 doesn't: It has a compass, pressure sensor, 8mb serialflash memory (which is faster,  but not really big enough for lightsaber sound fonts) and some 5v gates that are useful for driving dotstar led strips.
Finally, the teensysaber amplifier is a little more powerful than the prop shield. (3w vs. 2.6w), oh, and the teensysaber is a bit smaller than the prop shield at 1.3" x 0.7"

It's perfectly reasonable to build a lightsaber from a prop shield. (I have one in fact.) the biggest problem is that it will end up a little bigger in size, which may or may not fit properly in some lightsabers.

Thanks Prof!  You've sold me on TeensySaber-  when do you expect to do the next run?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #446 on: April 06, 2018, 09:28:55 AM »

Thanks Prof!  You've sold me on TeensySaber-  when do you expect to do the next run?

That is a good question.
Teensysabers will be in stock soon at krsabers. And I am currently trying to get the proffieboard working properly.
If the proffieboard comes together in a reasonabe timeframe, the next run will be a smaller test run of proffieboards. Assuming that run is successful, I will do a group buy of proffieboards.

If on the other hand the proffieboards take a long time  to get them to work, then I will do another group buy of teensysaber v3s.

The timeframe are all approximate, but i will probably start a run of some sort in May.

Offline TheFirebrandForge

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #447 on: May 02, 2018, 11:15:24 PM »
Sorry to hijack profezzorn's thread here, but my product is being discussed and I cannot have the spread of misinformation.

As anyone in this thread will know, it's a challenge to get this stuff working convincingly. That said, it was hard not to notice that the sound transitions were pretty gappy. I think the video spent too much time showing the extra light-show and juke-box features and not enough showing that basic operation was mastered. I wish the firmware link weren't dead or we could see how much code was shared in common with the good 'ol Teensy Saber.

Oh well. I think, profezzorn's dominance in this category is safe for the time being.  :smiley:

The source code (minus the libraries used) is completely original, and is in no way derived from TeensySaber. You may inspect the source code on GitHub. Please note that some of the code is still making its way back.

While on this topic, I'd also like answer the question of what is the difference compared to TeensySaber. The 2 boards, more or less, provide the same hardware. It is in the software that they are most different. My code originates from an original library for displaying LED strip patterns, applicable and reusable for general props and costuming; and also easily readable IMO. My main focus was on modular code that is reusable. Anyone else is welcome to use this code in their own prop or cosplay project.

I do appreciate your point on the transitions being gappy. Any criticism of this nature, I accept as improvements that can be made to the product. However, I do believe a lot of this particular issue has to do was the .wav files used. They were not any particularly designed sound font, just some saber sounds that are freely available. Some of the files may have a small silent segment at the end.

Interesting board ENCHANT - Prop FX Controller - The Firebrand Forge, it will be interesting to see the sourcebase though. It looks compatible with v2 config

It looks like a TeensySaber clone with the USB charger from DIYino added to it. Maxing out copy+paste?
It seems there are a lot of copy+paste clones lately. Just the other day I've seen a video on Facebook showcasing a kind of SmoothSwing saber, guy claiming he had many years of experience in building saber board. Watching the video I had the very strong impression that all software features were copied from Teensysaber and FX-SaberOS. I mean - honestly and just between the few of us on this expert forum - I love seeing home-brew solutions, it really gives folks a sense of accomplishments to build one, even though everything is laid out for them. But why on Earth must someone who made one clone claim the next day he is a pro, and try selling the stuff he so obviously ripped off from other sources. But even if he does, giving credit to the original source is always a nice gesture. Just my 2 cents.

Like I said no part of the code is derived from TeensySaber. I seriously doubt its using the same charger as DIYino. I dont know what DIYino is using, but I can tell you my thought process for selecting the charger I did: The charger used for V0 of my board was select because it charges at 1-2A, and were high in quantity on DigiKey. The charger for the new V1 version was selected because it is the only charger that charges at 1A with 6(or less) pins, hence taking up minimal board space. It is also in a family of chargers used quite a bit by Adafruit.

I do not want to continue taking up profezzorn's thread. If anyone has further question, you can contact me at support@thefirebrandforge.com

Worse sound playback ever heard. I recall he tried a kickstarter out of it but just got a kickout. It indeed looks like a teensy saber reboot but its hard to believe how bad it is.

Exactly what is unclear about the sound playback, Erv? Even the vocals in the music sound quite clear to me. When Adafruit sells development boards for $20, the days of 100$ prop boards are numbered. Please do not discourage the community from trying other products by defaming them.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #448 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:13 AM »
Just to be clear: I really don't mind if anybody takes some or all of the teensysaber code and use it for a different board as long as they comply with the license which requires that the resulting software is also released as open source.
And if someone wants to use my code for a closed-source application; contact me, anything is possible. :)

Personally I think the Enchant board seems pretty cool, but perhaps a little rough. Looking forward to where it will go. :)
I might get a few and make sure it can run the teensysaber code. (Although I'm pretty busy with the Proffieboard right now.)

Offline TheFirebrandForge

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #449 on: May 04, 2018, 02:42:52 AM »
Just to be clear: I really don't mind if anybody takes some or all of the teensysaber code and use it for a different board as long as they comply with the license which requires that the resulting software is also released as open source.
And if someone wants to use my code for a closed-source application; contact me, anything is possible. :)

Personally I think the Enchant board seems pretty cool, but perhaps a little rough. Looking forward to where it will go. :)
I might get a few and make sure it can run the teensysaber code. (Although I'm pretty busy with the Proffieboard right now.)

Thank you for the somewhat of an endorsement there :)

I see you've selected a STM microcontroller for your next board. Interesting choice, its not the NXP used by Teensy. I've previous considered that route as a possibility for the future. Having my board back to back with the Teensy, in a sense it would be only a step away from a 6 layer board, components on both sides. Presumably, preprogrammed bootloader chips can be purchased from PJRC; or some alternative bootloader implementation could be used.

Anyways, that is not where I am going. We won't have this "Whats the difference"/"reboot"/"clone" trip again. I do not mind so much that a more general purpose product can be made in larger quantities, and a more specialized product can enjoy a portion of it belonging to that high quantity production line. It makes sense economically. I'd probably be looking at some buck-boost type constant current LED drivers... as extension boards to use high brightness LEDs in combination with LED strips, for general prop purposes...

retrousse