fiduciary

Author Topic: Who is Rey?  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Drewbacca

• Padawan Learner
  • Fly Casual
Re: Who is Rey?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:55 PM »
That's the question isn't it? There certainly is a lot of questions left to be answered after seeing TFA. In my opinion, I can't connect Rey to Obi-Wan. I feel like Obi followed the Jedi code and never married or had any children. I'm not sure who Rey could even possibly be the offspring off. Maybe Rey and Kylo/Ben are twins... that would also be pretty Star Wars like. Interesting theory though!
Fly Casual.

Offline Lazi-D

• Padawan Learner
  • diagnosis, acute saberphilia...
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »
Rey, like Anakin, was fathered by the FORCE!   :evil:

Offline TrypWyr

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 10:33:25 PM »
Rey, like Anakin, was fathered by the FORCE!   :evil:

Nah, they need to push it one step further. Anakin had no father, how about Rey has no father OR mother!! She just popped into being on that little desert planet.

:cheesy:

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 10:51:08 PM »
My personal theory is that Rey is Kylos little sister.
After Ben fell to the DS and slaughtered the Jedi Leia and Han (or maybe just Leia and Han never knew) hid Rey on Jakku so Kylo would not be able to corrupt his little sister.
This is truly the vibe I got all through the movie. I do not think she is a Kenobi or Lukes daughter (the first seems too far fetched and the later to trite and obvious).

In the now defunct EU Jacen and Jaina were twins and Jacen fell, while Jaina remained a Jedi and an amazing pilot. Rey obviously took to piloting very naturally the entire movie. The scene where Han offers her a job may have just been Han being Han but I prefer to think it was him trying to spend more time with his daughter. The scene where a First Order officer tells Kylo that BB-8 is on Jakku and with a girl, causing Kylo to whirl around makes me think he knows he has sister. Maybe he heard a rumor of another Solo child and has been looking for her for years. Also Kylos obsession with finding Rey, talking to her, taking off his helmet for her, offering to train her, I think he knows. Plus on the books there was an extra line of dialogue from the scene where Rey pulls the lightsaber from the snow instead of Kylo where he says, "It is you!"
Also near the end of the movie where Leia hugs Rey, I say that was a pretty motherly hug.
To explain a teary-Luke and Rey, Luke knows why she is there he HAD to have felt a disturbance in the Force when the Republic planets were blown up (just like Ben Kenobi on ANH) and he probably blames himself. After all, it was his failure to protect Ben from the Dark Side that caused Ben to become Kylo Ren. She represents all his failures, and the lives those failures cost, coming back and expecting MORE from him than hiding.
As far as Rey crying goes, after her visions when she first touched the lightsaber it is clear she has a strong connection to the Skywalker name. Probably during those visions she felt a lot of what Luke felt at the time; fear during the duel on Cloud City, the pain on losing his hand and learning about Vader, the hopelessness and shame he must have felt watching the Jedi Temple burn. She has a bond with him because of that.

What I am most curious about is whose grave Luke was standing by. He went into exile alone on that planet, so whatever is there he brought with him. It must have been someone important. Could be a memorial grave for his students, for Ben after he "died", maybe he just made it for Han. I don't know but there are a lot of possibilities.

Anyway, thats my Rey theory!!

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

Offline Sythen_Kharr

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2016, 04:59:09 AM »
I think that is what Lor San Tekka was doing on Jakku.  I don't think it is a coincidence that he is there on Jakku with Rey.  Taken from the Star Wars wiki page: "Tekka also helped Luke Skywalker, the last Jedi Knight, seek out Jedi lore that the Empire had attempted to destroy". 

I believe that Tekka was watching over Rey from a distance, as a courtesy to Luke.  Luke worked with Tekka and I believe, after the slaughter of Luke's recently established Jedi school, Tekka took Luke's child in order to keep her from Snoke.

Also, Maz kind of alluded to that heritage as well by claiming that the lightsaber "belonged to luke and his father before him and now it calls to you".  Again, just my thoughts but if I were a betting man I would bet that Luke would have had a child as opposed to Obi-Wan or Han and Leia having a daughter but had minimal reaction upon seeing and interacting with her.

Pretty much this.

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 02:47:15 PM »
My personal theory is that Rey is Kylos little sister.
After Ben fell to the DS and slaughtered the Jedi Leia and Han (or maybe just Leia and Han never knew) hid Rey on Jakku so Kylo would not be able to corrupt his little sister.
This is truly the vibe I got all through the movie. I do not think she is a Kenobi or Lukes daughter (the first seems too far fetched and the later to trite and obvious).

How so? They both seem to not recognize her at all. Don't you think one of them would've been like dang I had a daughter that we left on jakku and her name was rey and she's also force sensitive. Theres just no way because Han and Leia would've recognized her (Leia especially would know because of the force)

And to think that they would know that she is their daughter and basically hide it throughout the movie and not tell her (especially given how we know she feels about her family and waiting so desperately for them to come back) is messed up to say the least.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 11:38:44 AM »
I do not think she is a Kenobi or Lukes daughter (the first seems too far fetched and the later to trite and obvious).

too trite and obvious?

Remember "Lost"?

[Lost and Trek II SPOILER ALERT below]

Some of us Lost fans guessed online that The Island was Purgatory in the first few episodes but after LIAR Jar Jar Abrams SWORE up and down for half a decade that we were wrong it definitely WASNT Purgatory because that would be too trite and obvious when the finale eventually came...it was Purgatory.

When Trek fans guessed that Benedict Cumerbatch's character in Star Trek II was Khan we were led to think that was too trite and obvious...quel surprise [not] he was Khan.

Jar Jar Abrams SPECIALIZES in trite and obvious.

IF Jar Jar Abrams had been tagged for the rest of the Sequel Trilogy we can almost be sure that Rey would be Luke's daughter...since he fortunately wasn't there is some chance that better directors for the next 2 episodes of the ST might not go down that trite and obvious track depending on how much the Evil Mouse has already swallowed of Jar Jar Abrams dimbecilic swill.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 01:47:18 PM »
OK then, I don't know about all that.  I think there are good arguments for several different possibilities and it is driving me crazy.  I can't wait to find out the answer :azn:.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
Well she wields the Graflex because it is the only saber available to her.

No, she wields it because it called directly to her. If not for that she would have gone on her merry way with her staff.

I love the idea that she's Obi Wan's grand-daughter, but I think she is actually Luke's daughter from a time between ROTJ and TFA. That Kylo Ren couldn't bring himself to kill her when he turned, and so to protect both her and himself from Snoke, he marooned Rae on Jakku without Luke's knowledge. That's how he knows her.

Being his half-sister is not impossible. But I think there is EVERY possibility that it is not yet set in stone and they are re-writing it as we speak.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 02:19:55 PM by TheBaconWizard »

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »
Onli-Won Kanomi it cracks me up that you keep referring to Disney as "the evil mouse".  The evil mouse will be making new Star Wars films until the end of time.  I don't see what is so evil about that.  Lol.  In 2005 we were told there would never be another Star Wars movie ever made. 

We all know you hate J.J. Abrams, but at least with Lost, let's be honest Damon Lindelof was the problem there.  Prometheus anyone?  With regards to the sequels it does make me a bit weary that Episode 9 is being directed by the same guy who did Jurassic World which was so awful I had to turn it off not even half way through.  Not even Chris Pratt could save that script.  I'm not saying that TFA was perfect but I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be.  Just my two cents.   :cheesy:

As for Rey's parentage I'd be shocked if she wasn't related to someone we already know but in a lot of ways I think it would almost be more interesting.  My guess is that she is somehow related to the Kenobi line.  There is a nice echo of Luke being handed his old lightsaber and symbolically it's quite beautiful.  He was given the weapon that belonged to his father from the man who would mentor him (a symbol from the past in the form of Ben Kenobi) and now it is being returned to him by Rey (a symbol from the future- possibly of the Kenobi line).  Plus I have to admit Luke looked completely badass with the long beard and long grayed hair.  I can't wait to see him as a Jedi Master in Episode 8!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:13:52 PM by Psab Keel »

Offline anakin2000

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 02:58:35 PM »
Onli-Won Kanomi it cracks me up that you keep referring to Disney as "the evil mouse".  The evil mouse will be making new Star Wars films until the end of time.  I don't see what is so evil about that.  Lol.  In 2005 we were told there would never be another Star Wars movie ever made. 

We all know you hate J.J. Abrams, but at least with Lost, let's be honest Damon Lindelof was the problem there.  Prometheus anyone?  With regards to the sequels it does make me a bit weary that Episode 9 is being directed by the same guy who did Jurassic World which was so awful I had to turn it off not even half way through.  Not even Chris Pratt could save that script.  I'm not saying that TFA was perfect but I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be.  Just my two cents.   :cheesy:

As for Rey's parentage I'd be shocked if she wasn't related to someone we already know but in a lot of ways I think it would almost be more interesting.  My guess is that she is somehow related to the Kenobi line.  There is a nice echo of Luke being handed his old lightsaber and symbolically it's quite beautiful.  He was given the weapon that belonged to his father from the man who would mentor him (a symbol from the past in the form of Ben Kenobi) and now it is being returned to him by Rey (a symbol from the future- possibly of the Kenobi line).  Plus I have to admit Luke looked completely badass with the long beard and long grayed hair.  I can't wait to see him as a Jedi Master in Episode 8!

The only hard thing with making her a Kenobi is that not only do you have to learn about her parents, you have to learn about the parent before that too who was kenobis kid. Then we need an explanation of why obi wan broke the code all of the sudden. It just seems too far fetched in my opinion

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 03:15:59 PM »
If it was along those lines, she wouldn't have to be child or grandchild of Obi Wan and him breaking the code and stuff that'd (oddly) never come to light, etc, etc for her to be a Kenobi, though, would she?

...he could be her uncle or something  :wink:

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »
Unless perhaps duchess Satine had OWK's child without ever telling him...which I think unlikely [that didn't seem like her personality/moral character] then I don't see HOW Rey could be his grandchild. I doubt very much that Obi-Wan broke the Jedi Code even after Order 66 destroyed the Order; remember he was given the assignment by Yoda for further "training" to learn the secret of immortality from Qui Gon during his exile. Since very few Jedi or Sith had ever been able to achieve that such training couldn't have been an easy or 'part time' thing to do and added along with his duty to protect Luke when would he have had time to have kids? I doubt very much he COULD have done that at all even if not for the Code but I even more doubt that he would have EVER broken the Code not only because he had dedicated his entire life to it but even more since he believed he was one of the last Jedi and tasked with solemn duty of preserving its traditions for Luke's sake someday.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse