fiduciary

Author Topic: 1st Saber Build advice  (Read 2884 times)

Offline kwikside

• Force User
  • Droids, what droids? I don't know no droids.
1st Saber Build advice
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:15 PM »
So, I have used the MHS Builder on the Customer Saber Shop and would like to know if anyone sees any problems with the prototype that I designed. The plan is to put a CF board (if I can get it to fit) into it with a crystal chamber visible from the windows towards the bottom of the saber. Switches will be located in the middle curved section, also maybe a covertech with a d ring.

Here is the link to the image:
SaberBuilder_render.png - Google Drive

Any insights or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcelo

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
Re: 1st Saber Build advice
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 07:23:33 PM »
Putting switches in a choke section is a very difficult task. You have very limited clearance for ANY switch in the style 3 long, and even less room to maneuver it on the inside.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline snilam

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:20:56 AM »
I think it would be extremely difficult or impossible to get your batt, electeonics, and a cc in that hilt design. Maybe nix the mid choke and you`d be cookin.

Offline Johannes Huber

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
    I'm a big fan of that long choke and have used it in a build (First Saber build - "Velocity") if you want to see it, but there are real headaches to building with it. Phoenix Jedi and kwikside are right, there is very little room in there. It could, theoretically, fit an 18XXX lith-ion but there is no real room for the wires that go with it and the "male" section is much thicker than the normal MHS pieces so stuffing a switch in there would also be iffy even if you can drill in to the joining piece without destroying the threads. I think Madcow once did something with a custom piece similar to the long choke and placing a momentary switch in there, but how is beyond me and it may have had a different ID. I don't think the long choke has to be gotten rid of, but you ay need to rethink how it will interact with surrounding pieces and revisit the design a bit. Best of luck :)

Offline kwikside

• Force User
  • Droids, what droids? I don't know no droids.
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I may add another piece it make some more room for the internals and move the choke up. It just depends on how much added length it will add.

Seems like I'll ditch the crystal chamber idea on this saber as well. I love the long choke and want to keep it more than a crystal chamber. I can always do another  saber with a crystal chamber. 

Offline ARJedi

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »
That's a good plan add an inch to your main hilt and you should be in business

Offline livebyhonor

• Force User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:09:12 AM »
its a good thought but yes the switches inherently used for sabers, though great looking; are simply much to big on so many occasions. This is why I like making my own sabers without using the MHS. It forces me to think outside the box and that allows me to even use them 4 mm micro tactile switches in 90% of my builds. If you have the tools you can also use any switches you find small enough. If however your locked to MHS stuff your options are some what limited.

retrousse