fiduciary

Author Topic: Rebels: Lightsabers  (Read 19799 times)

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
Re: Rebels: Lightsabers
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 08:12:16 AM »
just got a spot on Force Relic's KANAN RUN!
gonna get me a stunt and put a Nano Biscotti in there.

i want to try and sand down a blade tip to look like the show too... anyone else notice the very "katana-like" tips?
i might even go with 3/4" blade to match the thin blades of the show. at very least i will go 7/8".

this saber is by far my favorite from the show so far. incorperates OT, McQ. and the lighting designer of the show was in charge of the saber blades (hey, they are LIGHTsabers!) so he wanted to follow very closely to the first release of ANH with thinner blades, match the flicker of the spinning rods (NOT rotoscope style) and he even went as far as matching the FoC colors! i read the article in star wars insider. pretty good interviews in there!

cant wait to get the kanan saber! not sure yet when they will ship but my initial payment is due December 15th. a stunt should ship pretty quick i hope!
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 08:55:57 AM »
A 3/4 blade would be more accurate to the show saber.  Good luck

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »
yup im already consulting with a certain smith on the build. am i correct in noticing the blade tips on this show are offset? like the tip of a katana?

and the only reason i am hesitant to use 3/4" blades is they dont allow for much length without losing brightness.
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:41 AM »
yup im already consulting with a certain smith on the build. am i correct in noticing the blade tips on this show are offset? like the tip of a katana?

and the only reason i am hesitant to use 3/4" blades is they dont allow for much length without losing brightness.

yes, it looks like that the blade gradually shrinks and is almost pointy as it runs from the emitter

not clear what size blade the run is going to use but looks to be larger than 3/4

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »
Distal taper.

It makes REAL sense on REAL swords and fighting knife blades and isn't just for 'appearance sake'.

Some PLONKer [Person with Little Or No Knowledge] in Hollyweird with only MARKETING sense of 'loox kewl doodz yeah that'll SELL lots of Hasbro telescoping blade toys cuz it looks like em' and no understanding of why distal taper does exist in real weapons and wouldn't exist on energy blades [*Scotty voice* I cannae change the laws of physics Cap'n] is responsible for that. -sigh-

Not quite as stupidly impossible as a certain lightsaber subject I will not mention ;) but still more 'dumbed down for kiddies' stuff that alas one might expect from The House Of Mouse.

They need a science advisor but apparently can't be bothered. -sigh-

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 03:19:29 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline darth hondo

• Master Force User
  • there can only be two
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
Distal taper.

It makes REAL sense on REAL swords and fighting knife blades and isn't just for 'appearance sake'.

Some PLONKer [Person with Little Or No Knowledge] in Hollyweird with only MARKETING sense of 'loox kewl doodz yeah that'll SELL lots of Hasbro telescoping blade toys cuz it looks like em' and no understanding of why distal taper does exist in real weapons and wouldn't exist on energy blades [*Scotty voice* I cannae change the laws of physics Cap'n] is responsible for that. -sigh-

Not quite as stupidly impossible as a certain lightsaber subject I will not mention ;) but still more 'dumbed down for kiddies' stuff that alas one might expect from The House Of Mouse.

They need a science advisor but apparently can't be bothered. -sigh-

thanks for "distal taper". always knew that existed in katanas but not the proper terminology for it. 

fx sabers are props so there is a lot of latitude until real lightsabers are built…

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 01:36:02 AM »
no im not really talking about the distal taper effect. however i too think that's dumb in lightsabers. (do they have that effect in the show? although obi-wan vs. vader in ANH they sort of seem to have it?)
what im talking about is all of the promo stuff i have seen (bare with me, i've been deployed and havent seen a single episode yet) the blade tips seem to have the actual TIP offset. not centered like the prequel blade point. here is a pic to show you what i mean...

there is an angle on the tip for sure here...

do you see this on the tip of all of the sabers in REBELS? or is it just Kanan's saber? or... is it just my eyes playing tricks on me?
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 04:03:17 AM »
Aah I see what you mean now...

I've noticed it does seem different than previous lightsaber blades but don't see how it could be an actual offset tanto/katana type 'chisel point' on a blade that isn't made of matter - perhaps it is more that somehow the plasma of Kanans blade in Rebels is focused into a very sharp point rather than the more rounded semi-spitzer ogive bullet like points we see on Prequel trilogy sabers or the round ends we see in OT sabers...and if its a sharply angled point then from certain angles you could see only one of the angles and it might seem to appear more tanto/katana since especially with a lightsaber being very bright ones mind would only perceive one angle to the tip and human pattern recognition would 'interpolate' that angle continuing into the area blurred by brightness so a perceptual illusion ofr an offset perhaps?

Well that's my rationalization lol

Or maybe they just decided fuggedaboud physics a tanto/katana chisel point on a saber loox kewl doodz and the kiddies won't know any better.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 09:03:01 PM »
well it looks like i will have to "loox kewl doodz" a custom saber blade tip for this saber...  ::)

haha well it might look ok? if only i had a 3D printer?
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2014, 03:06:34 PM »
Some more pics of Ezra's saber emerge...

Umm... combo blaster and saber?!?? Now where have I seen that idea before?...
 ::)

toy pics... go figure... Disney marketing in full effect!

Offline bobi-one

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »
oh common.... Ezras hilt looks like a Cable Tacker . For me Rebels is one more Holiday Christmas special, which by some reason i am beginning to like

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2014, 07:32:01 PM »
I'm not so bothered by the Ezra staple-gun hilt as the Inquisitor spinner or the TFA crossguard hilt since at least the idea of combining a blaster with a saber is not inherently stupid. Though I don't really get the 'reason' that Ezra isn't good at deflecting blaster bolts so he switches his saber to a GUN so he ca SHOOT them instead? Oh but its STUN bolts [cuz its a Disney KIDDIE show - cant have our YOUNG hero KILLING stormtroopers I guess...leave that to Kanan and the "hairless wookie" ;) ...grrr @ stupid dumbing-down for dimbeciles and kiddies again like you'd expect from the House Of Mouse -sigh-] so that makes it sound 'ok' to parents when selling the Hasbro TOY I guess but doesn't make it any less dumb a rationalization [not that I mind rationalizations, just make it a smarter-than-a-fifth-grader or at least sensible one please].

But the Ezra saber design itself while not exactly an ELEGANT weapon isn't really so bad as the 'official reason' for it and still way WAY better than the Inquisitor or the TFA sabers imo.

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 02:56:31 AM »
Staple gun.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 02:12:47 PM »
Well in the last episode, Ezra said he built in the blaster since he didn't know how to use a lightsaber much at all. No mention specifically, however, that it was because he couldn't block blaster fire.

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

Offline Wickedreamz

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »
I watch this show with my kids and the sabers although dont look traditional I think they look good. I do have to remind myself that its a kid show from time to time lol

retrousse