fiduciary

Author Topic: Battle of the Heroes on stage  (Read 2413 times)

Offline Feezle

• Padawan Learner
Battle of the Heroes on stage
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
Not sure if I'm allowed to post this here since I didn't see any guidelines in this section.  If not, mods, feel free to move. 

This was several years ago.  My brother in law (Obi-Wan) and I put together a duel for a Cincy Pops concert.  We ended up being asked to come to D.C. and perform it for three nights at the Kennedy Center and we ended up doing it for two other symphonies as well.  Definitely a highlight for my costuming "career".  The largest crowd we did it in front of was around 10,000 and it was very hard to control the adrenaline!  Equally difficult to avoid the orchestra members! 

In this particular video, we were in Lima, Ohio.  That was our smallest crowd.  I think it was a few thousand.  You will notice at one point I bend over, pick something up, and "force push" it off the stage.  Darth Maul had lost a horn during their duel and he didn't want it trampled.  We had a couple screw ups but all in all, it wasn't too bad. 

Masters of the Force - Battle of the Heroes: Lima Symphony

Offline Bertuzzi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • German Saber-Engineer
Re: Battle of the Heroes on stage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
Awesome performance! Fits greatly to the music and I really like your version of the end of the duel :))

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
See, Cool things do happen in Ohio.  I lived in Bowling Green for a couple of years for grad school.  Nice work and costumes!

Knight50

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:16:51 PM »
very well done....how long did you practice for it?

Offline Sidd

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »
That is super well done Feezle.

Awesome for making the Ohio guys look good.

i bet that was weeks if not months in the planning, plus you both look spot on for the parts
User requested permanent ban 03/14/14

Offline Nick Knight

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
Very cool. Is there a video of the entire night?
"A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
"Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Offline Feezle

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:16 PM »
Thanks guys! It took us a few days to choreograph it. We took a lot of moves from the vids of Hayden and Ewan training that ended up not making the movie. Mainly because we could see them from different angles in slow motion and they looked cool. Getting everything to fit to the music was challenging but it did help us with our pacing.

The first time we did it we practiced a lot. It took a while to get the muscle memory. Then when they asked us to come to D.C., we had to modify some things because they told us we only had a 10 foot wide space on the edge of the stage to perform and we had double that the first time. We ended up putting some stakes in the ground and running twine between them to represent the area so we could practice doing everything in a straight line without falling off the stage or hitting anyone.

When we got there they said we only had 8 feet. Poor Darth Maul. They gave us a room to rehearse in that had everything taped off. There is one point where Sean swings his saber in a full circle over his head and I lean backwards so it goes over my face (wasn't very good in the video, usually looks much cooler). Well with these new dimensions, he wanted to bring the saber in at an angle. I to;d him not to because he was going to hit me in the face. While we were rehearsing he tried it anyway. Cracked me right in the eyebrow and cut me open. We did get the whole thing on video including me telling him not to do it so it was worth it. We glued it shut and covered it with some makeup. I was just mad that it was over the wrong eye. If I could have gotten a canon Anakin scar in a lightsaber battle that would have made for a cool story.

As we got more used to doing it, it just became a matter of making it tighter. After D.C. The nerves were gone and we had it down so it was more fun. We could concentrate more on getting in character. What you don't see is the beginning slow part of the song.  My wife had a ROTS Padme.  We would run out and embrace from opposite sides of the stage.  We would talk for a couple seconds, I would get a little irritated and Obi-Wan would come up behind her.  We would pantomime the "Liar!" part, and I would force choke her as the chorus started to build.  If you look close, you can see her lying on the right side of the stage.  We would ditch our robes, circle each other and that is where the video starts. The part where I go back to my side of the stage to toss my robe, I would have to turn towards the audience.  That was my favorite part because it was the only time I would really have a chance to look out at all the people out there.  I would make it a point to glare at the people in the front row.  I loved it! 

After having my "limbs severed" at the end, I would have to lay there for a minute until the song ended, then I would drag myself off the stage with one arm. 

It was so funny because we would do meet and greets before and after the shows.  Beforehand, people would want pictures here and there like a normal event.  Afterwards, we would get swarmed.  Like I said, definitely a highlight.  Unfortunately Sean joined the military and I retired Anakin.  After 5 years I just wasn't feeling it anymore.  Now I'm getting bit by the jedi bug again.  I have two little girls now and I think before too long we are all going to be rocking some jedi robes.  Sabers come first.  That's why I'm here!

Anyway, sorry for rambling.  Just brought back some fond memories. 

Here are a couple pics though.

They didn't allow pics or video at the Kennedy Center but we had a rebel spy in the front row that wasn't going to let us go without a souvenir.  You can kinda see how little space we had.  Luckily we only smacked one chair and it was Obi-Wan's very last move on the last day so it wasn't a bid deal.

The rest of these I think were from the show the video was from.  We had a LOT more space there. 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:41:56 PM by Feezle »

Offline Feezle

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Very cool. Is there a video of the entire night?

Unfortunately no.  I wish they would have at least caught our whole performance. 

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:42:48 PM »
Very cool!

retrousse