fiduciary

Author Topic: Darth Maul Future Run Discussion  (Read 54229 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
Re: Darth Maul Future Run Discussion
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
id say option 1 none battle damaged
also the cf 5 can do 2 speakers so i guess creative placement of the 2 speakers with a single cf5 board would do this justice
imagin 2 of those jq speakers wired from 1 cf5 using a special 2 blade font
would be cool

not too sure about a delay in the 2 blades ignition tho

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »
I for one would love to see this saber made.  It's been one of my favorites since I first saw it.  While it would be awesome to somehow have the single blade option (as a complete hilt not battle damaged) as well as independent ignition of the blades, I would be happy even if they both ignight at the same time.  I'm still of the mind set that two boards would work better than one.  The concern was clash effect.  If we presume two boards and those boards are PC's the clash sensor could be remote mounted closer to the emitter for that given half so it would be less likely for the vibration to translate to the opposite one.  If access was desired to the boards, it could still be a screw together hilt.  No QD though.  I can say from having a staff with two boards in it, it sounds awesome when they are both on.  And that was an US25 based.  I can only imagine how good it'll sound with PC's or CF's.

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
If you use 2 PCs and mount the clash sensors as close to each blade as possible (which is the way I do mine anyway) then it would be more likely to work properly.  I normally mount my clash sensor just under the heatsink in most of my PC sabers. 

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
For the sake of authenticity and the options it allows for internals/electronics set up, I strongly agree that a single hilt would be the way to go.

The idea of a delayed ignition on the second blade matched with the font's ignition really appeals - with a single card, this seems to be the best way to go and it'd be fun to strike a pose, hit one button and have that happen - despite being a bit prequel-phobic, that moment was one that I really enjoyed in TPM.

Battle damaged no...I have two MR's and two Hasbros that do that job just fine.  What I would like (should there be a run) is two soundboards so I can ignite one blade (such as when Qui Gon fought Maul in the Tattoine desert) or as a doube bladed staff a la the final fight of TPM.  The part that needs a lot of attention is getting those sound boards to work together when they are both on so that the sound and CoF or whatever options installed work with each other instead of against each other.

Much as two CF soundboards would be perfect, if keeping to a price point meant a choice of 2 PCs or one CF, my preference would be for a single CF. I totally agree that, whatever the solution for this (hypothetical) run, having the blades work well together is a priority and will demand some good, creative design intelligence and much strokey beard contemplation, and the sensitivity and flexibility of the CF over PC seems more suited for this task, even 1 of the former over 2 of the latter? I do totally agree that it'd be a real shame not to have the option of using the saber with a single blade a la Maul and Qui Gon on Tattoine) - perhaps one of the switches on the 'second' half turning the connection to the second blade's LED on or off and cutting then reconnecting the power to the CF when it does this, so that the LEDs are powered correctly and there's no accidental blowing of the LED for a single blade when changing from double to single bladed mode?

2 separate fonts for single and double blades seems totally feasible and, I imagine, could work really nicely with this.

I'm still of the mind set that two boards would work better than one.  The concern was clash effect.  If we presume two boards and those boards are PC's the clash sensor could be remote mounted closer to the emitter for that given half so it would be less likely for the vibration to translate to the opposite one.
That's true - and even if it was the actual boards mounted close to the emitters, I'd have thought they'd pick up on movement and swings much better there than being mounted centrally in a staff where the 'balance point' is, in the same way that it's recommended to mount a CF near the pommel in a single bladed saber, as far from the spin/balnce point as possible.

Also, if this were to happen as a future run, the Igniter and Hiltworks might both be available by that time as high-end soundcard options and could possibly offer some wider choices in how to approach the challenges of the double-blade?

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2011, 10:27:10 AM »
yep a cf would pick up clashes from both blades whatever... my starkiller picks up a clash from the slightest tap but never registers a false clash

i too would like to see this happen next yr
i wonder what sort of battery power you would need to power 2 led engins and double foc
also the foc could be tricky to master.. can 2 leds be wired to one power extender for double foc? i imagin that would be the best solution to have both blades foc at the same time otherwise its not gonna be consistent
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:29:54 AM by Scorpion »

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »
For the single blade on/off of a one piece maul with one CF you could disable the the number 2 main LED in the config files of the single blade font... maybe?...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 10:37:51 AM by KI-ADI-MUNDI »

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:05 AM »
That is a good idea.  Have a font for single blade and one for both blades.  I know a LOT of people would like to SEE this saber made but the problem is would a lot of people like to BUY one of these sabers.  LOL  I have always liked this saber and want as close to screen accurate as possible, but just the machining alone will cost as much as most high end PC sabers. 

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51:06 AM »
sure id buy 1 but it would have to defo be next yr my funds are tied up in the other forum runs atm

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2011, 11:04:22 AM »
i wonder what sort of battery power you would need to power 2 led engins and double foc
also the foc could be tricky to master.. can 2 leds be wired to one power extender for double foc? i imagin that would be the best solution to have both blades foc at the same time otherwise its not gonna be consistent
I think that would be do-able with a single power extender, they're limited to about 2A max, which would be enough for 4 red dies (2 lots of 2) if I undertand it rightly? <-- not so sure about this, I'm thinking that you'd need 2 PEs in parallel, each to run each set of 2 dies in series, but that there wouldn't be any reason the 2 PEs couldn't be controlled from the same output on the single card. I've confused myself now, though (my electronics-fu is weak), so I'd take that with a very generous pinch of salt...
In spite of my stated preference for 1 CF over 2 PCs, I don't see how it would be possible to have independent CoF for each blade with a single card without some other electronics detecting the clash and triggering the FoC, and it'd be a shame to compromise this (even though it might just be too challenging for it to work reliably in any setup). So scratch my earlier comment, I think cost should be no object and it should just have done with it and have 2 CFs :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:53:34 PM by Sethski »

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
There is a basic FoC board out there that you can use for the second blade.  It of course is not as good as the CF does but it would work.  As for the batteries, you may be able to squeeze 4 18650s in there in a series/parallel pack to give you 7.4Volts double the mAh of a single 2 18650 pack.

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 11:24:15 AM »
There is a basic FoC board out there that you can use for the second blade.  It of course is not as good as the CF does but it would work.  As for the batteries, you may be able to squeeze 4 18650s in there in a series/parallel pack to give you 7.4Volts double the mAh of a single 2 18650 pack.
But you didn't say it... Your talking about a lightsaber that will run forever.... :o or at least a 3 day con on one charge....  :D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:37:29 AM by KI-ADI-MUNDI »

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:14 AM »
There is a basic FoC board out there that you can use for the second blade.  It of course is not as good as the CF does but it would work.  As for the batteries, you may be able to squeeze 4 18650s in there in a series/parallel pack to give you 7.4Volts double the mAh of a single 2 18650 pack.
Is that Skottsaber's or something else? I've read a couple of bits on that but haven't been able to find much info. I'm also interested as it could be helpful for a different project...

Offline MACE WINDU

• Formerly known as Nightstorm
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Do you have a problem with purple?
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
If there were enough boards to do double CF5's in one...heck yea.  This is a saber I would shell out $2,400 -$3k for.  Next year of course ;)

Offline Rhyen Skytracker

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
Yes, that is skottsabers board.  I have a couple of the prototypes and have gotten them to work with a few modifications.  Of course the PERFECT solution would be to get 2 CFs for it but not only are they hard to come by, but the cost would be way up there and not many people would be able to buy them.

Offline GreyJedi

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
As long as we are talking about CNC machining I am going to go on record here as saying that I would much rather see a screen accurate Sidious run done before a Maul. Its so sleek, elegant and stylish and feels good in the hands  :D ummm....anyhoo lol

The maul staff has all the subtlety of a bantha in heat. Very low on my priority list of fx collectables.

Just my 2 cents  :)

retrousse