fiduciary

Author Topic: 2011 Saber Contest on TCSS Poll is Up  (Read 9215 times)

Offline Ducos Rossis

• Experienced Force User
Re: 2011 Saber Contest on TCSS Poll is Up
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
If you notice, there were only 3 entries for the custom category.

#8, Planet Elemental Saber found on Kashyyyk
#10, Blood Wyrm
#12, Muur's Revoke

---

Saber #1, Praxis, is in the MHS category.  True, there's a lot of custom work done to the pieces and shroud work, but it's still MHS. 

If you have an informal poll with just MHS, I can give you a really good idea who would win.

praxis looks too "fat" to be MHS pieces. i think they are pieces modeled after MHS pieces if you look at the other saber done by a forum member with that ssr90 led that saber is on the fat side also. so i dont believe its MHS based.

with out proper classes its like racing a F-18 hornet jet against a bicycle ridden by a fat kid. its just not fair.

as a saber smith i look at these saber not for what they look like really but how much work was put in, like i know that elemental saber most have had hours upon hours of sculpting work, etc there are some nice looking sabers that look like they were just assembled rather then created. just my opinion. and there are sabers that people poured there heart and soul into it with almost no votes.. the few sabers on there are stealing the show.

Really though i believe there is no "best" saber  i love all sabers! lightsabers are like pizza, even when they suck there still pretty good! LOL
In my book EVERYBODY wins!

Praxis is indeed a 100% MHS body. 
The way the contest is being run is the most practical that was found. And the theme is to bring the best you can to the table. Having multiple tiers of skill is just too complicated even though that could even the playing field. Let us be happy that Tim does the contest at all.

no its not an even playing field not at all, if i built a saber to compete in the MHS category and not the custom category then it clearly wouldn't stand a chance. if  you were to race your car at the drag-strip against other stock cars would it be fair for me to race a 1200hp alcohol dragster against your stock car. i think not. i understand why tim did it the way he did, but that doesn't make it fair. No one said anything about skill levels.. its just the fact that some people could have made a full custom saber but they choose to make an MHS saber not because they couldn't make a full custom saber but rather they wanted to compete in the MHS class. I didnt enter a saber this year so im not upset for me im upset for the people that are getting overlooked because all three of the custom class sabers are in the lead. now look at all the other sabers... are you looking, well id say its a close race between them all Even, or fair as i would say. at this point im not even watching now cause you knew in the first 20min who is going to win its like watching a football game when the score is 50-0 in the second half, not much fun now is it.

Im not saying anyone SHOULD do this but if it were my saber stomping people in to the dirt like that i would pull myself from the contest as a victory wouldnt feel right to me. I want a victory to feel good, not like beating a little leauge baseball team with the boston redsoxs.

btw sunrider nice saber you might as well put your name on it lol

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 03:05:27 PM »
No one in the contest can reveal their saber before it ends, even on another forum I believe.  

There are several members that have done wonderful things with MHS based sabers.  Look at LDM's build log.  In fact it makes it easier to make a great custom saber if you don't have to sculpt and cut all the pieces yourself.

I've seen the contest a few years and usually the MHS pieces come out better than the customs.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 07:21:03 PM by nartules »

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
Modified MHS is still MHS people. Praxis is an MHS saber.

Look at Vader's Vault, their stuff is MHS based, it's just customized MHS.

I think people are taking this WAY too seriously, let's all relax and celebrate every entrant because they brought it!

Offline Azmaria Dei

• Mistress of the Crumbles
  • Force User
  • In sleep do I find my peace.
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
i submitted a saber into the contest and it's up there. am i sad that i'm not going to place? no. mine has a few votes and that means that i competed well. if the customs weren't combined with the MHS, i might have been able to place 3rd, but since it's all combined, meh... i did well and i love mine and i'm happy with it and that's what matters. i learned a lot making her, and in the end that's what matters.

as for entry number 1, i've discussed it with a few others, and yes it looks like a mara grip, custom sleeve on the emitter, and LOTS of detailing with a core of pure MHS. and that's all. the craftsmanship is superb and hides the fact that it's MHS well, and i thought it was custom at first as well, but it's MHS.

and besides that, if you didn't enter, why not? we could have had a lot MORE competition and might have been able to keep the categories separate.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 04:16:23 PM »
It is one heck of a build that's for sure! I'd love to see the method used to get two 18650's side-by-side in an MHS piece. I tried that and end to end and they just take up so much room. Amazing skills getting it all together. It doesn't look at all like an MHS saber but that's part of why it is racking up votes. Style wise it isn't my thing but the internals are really spectacular.

Offline Azmaria Dei

• Force User
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
IA, that's something i've been working on myself as well. basically, you either cut slots in an MHS extension and put a sleeve on it (like i think was done with this one) or use MHS sleeve and a couple sink tube adapters (which is what i'm planning for mine as soon as i can get all the parts).

Offline Silver Serpent

• Force User
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:25 PM »
The playing field is quite level.  Both Praxis (MHS) and Blood Wyrm (custom) are superb sabers.  I don't think anyone is denying that.

It is quite correct that racing an alcohol dragster against stock cars would be terribly unfair.  However, if the race stated to bring the fastest car you could, then why bring stock?  If that's the best you have, then rejoice in how well you compete against those with more experience than you.

If I had thousands of dollars to spend, and a full machine shop at my disposal, I still would not have the skill to design, let alone build either of those.

I had the same opportunity as everyone else to build something truly amazing.  It was not a shortage of time.  It was not my choice between making MHS or custom.  It was not a lack of funds.  I simply wasn't good enough. . . this time.

Next year may be different.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »
The playing field is quite level.  Both Praxis (MHS) and Blood Wyrm (custom) are superb sabers.  I don't think anyone is denying that.

It is quite correct that racing an alcohol dragster against stock cars would be terribly unfair.  However, if the race stated to bring the fastest car you could, then why bring stock?  If that's the best you have, then rejoice in how well you compete against those with more experience than you.

If I had thousands of dollars to spend, and a full machine shop at my disposal, I still would not have the skill to design, let alone build either of those.

I had the same opportunity as everyone else to build something truly amazing.  It was not a shortage of time.  It was not my choice between making MHS or custom.  It was not a lack of funds.  I simply wasn't good enough. . . this time.

Next year may be different.

Well said :).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2011, 04:39:46 PM »
no its not an even playing field not at all, if i built a saber to compete in the MHS category and not the custom category then it clearly wouldn't stand a chance. if  you were to race your car at the drag-strip against other stock cars would it be fair for me to race a 1200hp alcohol dragster against your stock car. i think not. i understand why tim did it the way he did, but that doesn't make it fair. No one said anything about skill levels.. its just the fact that some people could have made a full custom saber but they choose to make an MHS saber not because they couldn't make a full custom saber but rather they wanted to compete in the MHS class. I didnt enter a saber this year so im not upset for me im upset for the people that are getting overlooked because all three of the custom class sabers are in the lead. now look at all the other sabers... are you looking, well id say its a close race between them all Even, or fair as i would say. at this point im not even watching now cause you knew in the first 20min who is going to win its like watching a football game when the score is 50-0 in the second half, not much fun now is it.

Im not saying anyone SHOULD do this but if it were my saber stomping people in to the dirt like that i would pull myself from the contest as a victory wouldnt feel right to me. I want a victory to feel good, not like beating a little leauge baseball team with the boston redsoxs.

Did you even read the rules for the voting and how the second stage will go?  The top six sabers, three from each of the two polls, will advance to the second round.  If there are only three custom sabers, then it stands to reason that there will also be at least three MHS based sabers in the final round.  Sounds like it is not a 'sure thing' that a custom saber will win the contest.

I also think you need to re-evaluate your position on suggesting the custom builders drop out.  You claim it's not fair to the MHS builders.  I claim otherwise.  Have you ever built a custom saber yourself?  I did not enter the contest, but I would be very insulted by your comments had I entered and my saber was in contention.  Suppose for a minute timing was different and I saved the un-named copper and brass saber for this contest.  There is in excess of $750 worth of raw material, electrical components and supplies in that saber.  Then add in the hundred plus hours spent designing, modelling, machining, finishing, assembling, and testing the saber to complete it.  Then I enter it in the contest hoping to win.  You come along and cry 'foul' and expect me to drop out of the contest and pass up my chance at 'fame and glory' (and a TCSS gift certificate) because you, who didn't even enter the contest feel that the game isn't fair.  How do you think I would feel about that?   The three people who entered custom sabers did nothing wrong.  I don't think it is your place to suggest (rather strongly by the way) that these people drop out of the contest.  If one of the entrants in the contest has an issue, they need to take it up with Lord Maul on TCSS forum and not come here and 'suggest' they do the right thing and quit the contest.

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2011, 04:45:36 PM »
i fully agree with drazhar all the sabers are excellent and ALL have their good and bad points design wise .... one point that definitely needs emphasiseing is that all the entrants have shown a great degree of skill and all should be proud of their work, .. :)

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »
I think everyone that produced a saber and competed deserves a pat on the back (yeah, me included  ;) )

I will say that I am not one of the three customs and I did choose to build an MHS saber thinking it would compete only against othe MHS sabers. The fact that it didn't work out that way is fine with me. Sure, I'm not going to win and I'll admit, I was a little down watching the customs rake in the votes but as time has passed, I am totally fine with it. Things happen that we don't expect and that's just a part of life.

After dinner tonight I went down to the man cave and took my saber off the wall, pulled the kill key and fired it up. I still get goosebumps. It might not have the most votes but it is still my favorite saber and I'm proud that I built it. I'm in the company of only a few people that could have produced it. The time, effort, money, sweat and disturbing number of curse words uttered were well worth it because I have a saber I really love and I DESIGNED & BUILT IT myself.

All that said, I still would like to see an informal poll once it is all over with just the MHS sabers. I don't expectto win there either but I would like to see where I stand against the other great builders out there.

I came out to compete and yes, to win. But winning isn't everything, especially when you end up with something YOU can truly be proud of.

Offline Azmaria Dei

• Force User
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2011, 04:58:37 PM »
an interesting idea IA - an unofficial after-contest contest of sorts. that might be interesting. ^_^

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »

It is point of views like this that sour even having contests.  Instead of complaining, why not enjoy the contest?  People stretched the abilities and resources they had and everyone who entered can feel proud that they built something.  I like this:

After dinner tonight I went down to the man cave and took my saber off the wall, pulled the kill key and fired it up. I still get goosebumps. It might not have the most votes but it is still my favorite saber and I'm proud that I built it. I'm in the company of only a few people that could have produced it. The time, effort, money, sweat and disturbing number of curse words uttered were well worth it because I have a saber I really love and I DESIGNED & BUILT IT myself.

I came out to compete and yes, to win. But winning isn't everything, especially when you end up with something YOU can truly be proud of.

That's what it is all about!

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »
I think the contest is good as is...  People entering def know what they are getting into...     ;D  That being said, I think it all goes down to personal preference...  My favorite saber is the contest is a MHS piece...   My favorite saber by far is Magnus Infernium....    You shouldn't base liking a saber design on if its custom, or mhs...  Builders use the best means that they have to build sabers....  All of the sabers are fine examples, and the builders should be proud of what they have accomplished..    Congrats to all, just entering to have your saber showcased if a great honor....   ;)

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »
Well said Jin Ke, my favorites are Praxis (I likes the shiny), Blood Wyrm (gives me hope that an accurate Sidious can be made), and Sith'Ari, (loooove cyan and the saber just speaks to me somehow)

Does that take away from any of the other competitors? Not at all. They just resonate with ME as a person less.

Every saber entered is well-crafted and thought out in its design. They all deserve a round of applause!

retrousse