fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin Skywalker ROTS Force FX (2005) Review and Pics  (Read 18539 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Anakin Skywalker ROTS Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« on: January 13, 2006, 12:42:16 AM »
MY STORY
At the time the Anakin Skywalker Force FX was released from Master Replicas, I wasn't too concerned with it.  There were other replicas and Force FX sabers that I really wanted.  I had seen pics of the saber here on the internet and heard its praises and acclaims about the brightness and the sound.  It wasn't until August of 2005 while I was walking around the King of Prussia Mall in Pennsylvania that I came upon one while walking around a Sharper Image store.  I was anxious to give it a try.  I picked it up from the display and took a close look at it.  At first inspection, I wasn't impressed at all.  The lightweight of it made it feel like a toy.  All the plastic looking pieces made it look like a toy.  I ignited it and tested the sounds which were quite nice.  I was not able to get a real look at the brightness of the blade due to the lighting of the store.  I set the saber back and left the store with knowledge that the Anakin would probably be the last saber I would get.
Time moves on a couple months and I find out that the Anakin has been revised with more metal pieces for a more realistic look and feel.  I was thrilled to find that information since the plastic of it was my main detraction.  December rolls around and there are deals everywhere on Anakins, but I decide to bide my time and wait until after Christmas.  So I made arrangements with Master Yode on fx-sabers.com to hold me one till after the Holidays when I was sure that I still wanted one and could get it for a good price.  Well, the holidays came and went and I was really excited to finally get my hands on the very last saber I needed for my collection to be up-to-date.  The payment was sent and on January 10th when the UPS truck pulled in I was already waiting at the door.
Holding the box I thought, "This is it....this is THE ONE!"

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX
After removing the box from its cardboard shipper I carefully cut the tape and opened it slowly so as not to disturb the weapon of the Greatest Jedi.  All I had to do was cut the tape on the styrofoam and slide it free from the plastic bag.  My first thought,  "mmm....shiny!"

The new generation battery holder design only shared so far with the TESB Vader that easily fits 3 of your preferred Alkaline batteries.  The endcap was a bit tough to unscrew since it is smooth chrome, but once loosened it came undone easily.

The encap with the Master Replicas and Lucasfilm copyright information.  This design of endcap is shared with both Vader sabers and the ROTJ luke, whereas the speaker is intergrated to fit into the endcap rather than be covered up by it like the TESB Luke and Mace sabers.

The On/Off switch of the Anakin ROTS shown here as the curved gold protrusion from the side of the Control Box.  The switch is quite problematic to many when you wield this weapon.  Due to its location it can easily be turned off on accident when swinging or spinning the saber.

The Emitter Shroud details are well done to match the prop used in Revenge of the Sith.  They are designed after the original Graflex flashgun but are quite different.  Its more of a refined design to reflect the height of the Jedi Order.

The clamp levers on the Anakin are molded as one piece and attached to the main body of the hilt.  Unlike the TESB Luke where the clamp was actually a clamp and was attached to the hilt by a pin axis point.  The knurled knob with its anodized red button serve as a pleasing decoration.

Emitter Shroud detail around the open area with the chromed plastic going around the polycarbonate blade.

The Center Band of the saber is now made from milled aluminum and it is attractive.  While it still doesn't seem to fit with the shiny Chrome of the rest of the saber, I am glad that it is metal now.

THE SABER IGNITED
In Low Room Light

In Complete Darkness

WORKING REVIEW
Grasping this saber is quite comfortable.  The size of the hilt is small enough for those with smaller hands to handle with no problems.  As I mentioned above, the power switch could be in a better location to keep from the saber turning off while handling.  But with proper hand placement  you can remedy that problem somewhat.
The ignition of the Saber is well time with the sound effects.  The sound effect for ignition actually lasts about 1 second longer than it takes the blade to ignite completely.  The same is true with all FFX sabers, though.  The Blade is about as Bright as it could be.  The Cobalt Blue color is very pleasing to the eye and reflects well on the surroundings.  The idle hum is brilliant with no stutter in the loop.  A very nicely done overlap in sound.  The motion sensor to activate the movement sound FX is well done and calibrated to activate with your moves at appropriate times.  As far as I could tell there are 3 motion sounds: 2 buzzes(one short, one long) 1 arc movement (one movement with direction change).  As with many of the other Jedi sabers there are 4 clash sounds: one hiss, one "blaster-bolt", one sizzle, one pop-sizzle.  It actually took quite a knock to get my sound fx to activate, but I think they are calibrated just fine.  Its difficult to activate it on anything but another FFX saber which is how it should be.  The shutdown sequence is well timed and quick. 

THE BOX
For those that want a detail look at the box that the saber came in. 

Left-Hand Side Front and Top

Right-Hand Side Front and Top

Left-Hand Side Back and Bottom

Right-Hand Side Back and Bottom

Coming Soon.....Darth Maul Double-Bladed review
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 10:06:49 PM by Anakin Skywalker »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
Re: Anakin Skywalker ROTS Force FX (2005) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 12:56:55 AM »
Great review ;D.

So, which is your favourite saber now?

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 01:14:03 AM »
My favorite Saber is STILL the TESB Luke.

But I now recommend that the ROTS Anakin is the BEST Saber you can get as of right now. 

Offline General Beavis

• Padawan Learner
  • Use the force... FX!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
Nice review. I agree that the Anakin ROTS saber is the best that you can currenly get, although I could be slightly biased as it was my first purchase.

I'm currently working on a review of my own (as well as reviews of my Vader ESB and Luke ROTJ)and I'll post 'em as soon as I can.
2005 Anakin Skywalker ROTS
2005 Darth Vader ESB
2005 Luke Skywalker ROTJ

"These are my lightsabers. There are many like them but these ones are mine. My sabers are my best friend. Without me, my sabers are useless. Without my sabers I am useless."

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 07:45:15 AM »
great review as always anakin.   thanks so much, in the words of Carly simon "nobody does it better" :'(

Offline ani104

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »
I agree Anakin, I had a try of a Ani saber the other day and I prefer my ESB Luke,that doesn't mean I won't get the Ani though ;)

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »
Great review, Anakin ROTS is my favorite saber.

Nothing Is Impossible

Jedi TRON

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 04:35:09 PM »
Review excelente! I gotta tell you, through your reviews and all the pics you include in them, you can tell your a man who loves his toys. You do put your reviews together very well.

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 05:52:22 PM »
outstanding review!!! ani rots was always my favorite
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Dark Skywalker

• formerly known as Dark Skywalker
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 04:10:18 PM »
Awesome review. Very detailed pics  ;D

Nothing Is Impossible

Offline darthmaddy

• formerly known as Darth Malak
  • Master Force User
  • BATMAUL
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 04:28:14 PM »
Your collection is complete.  Indeed you are powerful. :D
I'm not wearing hockey pads.

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 04:38:15 PM »
A Great review as always Anakin ;)  I'm glad you like it :)

I suppose I'll be setting aside a (thoroughly inspected) Full Darth Maul for you when
the few were getting come in ;D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:35:59 AM by Yoda »

Offline Darth Torment

• Sith Lord Formerly Known As DARTH TORMENT
  • Experienced Force User
  • Darth Plagueis The Wise . . .
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 04:54:21 PM »
just got my ANAKIN ROTS...LOVE it!!!!!!

will write a review soon

DT

Visit The Citadel Of Darth Plagueis The Wise (buy/sell/trade thread):
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3817.msg64943#msg64943

Proud member of Snowtroopers.ca. Check my profile.

Offline AAYLA SECURA

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:59:22 PM »
Great review! Love the excellent quantity of pics. :)
Hasbro Signature Series
Luke Skywalker ANH with Removable Blade
Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS with Removable Blade
Darth Maul TPM with Removable Blade
Kit Fisto AOTC with Removable Blade
Luke Skywalker ROTJ

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »
Thank you Aayla, your opinion is greatly appreciated since you are the Queen of Saber Reviews.

retrousse