fiduciary

Author Topic: Luxeon Products (I/III/K2/V) - RGB Colour analysis by BIN code  (Read 27769 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: Luxeon Products (I/III/K2/V) - RGB Colour analysis by BIN code
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 08:56:33 AM »
Please refrain from triple posting,  Mort.  It is possible to use multiple quotes in a single post using the "modify" button.

I actually have seen a cyan bin 6 in person...they are a nice minty green color.  I used three or four of them last year in some of my Brass Sabers.  They actually looked clser to the bin 3 on your color chart.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 08:58:19 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline mort

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 08:57:16 AM »
Apologies for the triple posting :(

thinking about this, I might revise my chart, to show a gradient fill in RGB, between the min (nm) RGB value and the max (nm) RGB value, take this example of Cyan bin1 and Cyan bin2. This might, in the long run, be a bit more helpful ?

This shows bin 1, fading from wavelength 490nm to 495nm
and for bin2, shows 495nm to 500nm

lowest (min) value at bottom of blade.... This does, sort of, go against what I am trying to achieve, but at least it still shows the potential variance in hue by bin category...

Please refrain from triple posting,  Mort.  It is possible to use multiple quotes in a single post using the "modify" button.

I actually have seen a cyan bin 6 in person...they are a nice minty green color.  I used three or four of them last year in some of my Brass Sabers.  They actually looked clser to the bin 3 on your color chart.

Thanks for the information, looks like I need to take luminosity values into account as well. I'm some what disappointed to hear that the Cyan bin6 looks closer to bin3.. colour is so open to different perception isnt it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:04:34 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »
yeah,  it makes a difference.  I have some pictures somewhere of what the color actually looked like in my photobucket account...i'll see if i can find them.

EDIT:
Here's one:

and another:

One more:

The last one:

Those were all bin 6 Cyan led's that I had ordered from LEDsupply.  I didn't ask for bin 1's and those were what I got. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:11:09 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline mort

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 AM »
Wow ! that does look to be an amazing colour indeed, but I do see what you mean about being closer to my bin3 cyan example, can you give me more information on the type of luxeon, and the mA it was driven at please ?

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 09:14:01 AM »
I wish I could give you that information,  but I do not have the sabers anymore,  I sold them all.  They were all Luxeon III's,  and I ran them on the MR boards that were in the sabers.  Each board delivers a different amount of current and voltage to the led's so I'm not sure what they were being run at.  They were all getting 6 volts from the battery packs,  and were probably being over-driven by the boards as well.  I didn't take any readings on the meter for them,  but I think member XsaberX has a topic or a post here somewhere  where he measured the voltage and current outputs of MR boards running on 4 batteries instead of the stock 3.

EDIT:
I found the topic that xsaberx posted his information about the MR board drive currents in:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=13978.0
all of the above pictures of the bin 6 cyan were powered by a Luke ROTJ board,  but with a 6 volt power supply....I wish I had one to test for you to get the accurate results for it.  All of my MR boards are Anakin ROTS's,  and my cyan Luxeon III's are bin 1's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:36:37 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »
Thank you very much Mort this information is extremely useful, especially the gradient fill cyan...KUDOS!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 11:09:14 AM »
Fantastic, insightful thread. I add my vote for Sticky.

I can tell you from experience that at 1200ma, a Lux III Cyan B5 and B6 are "Winterfresh" green to my eye, or "Minty" as QGJ put it. 'Not quite Green Giant Green, but definitely on the leafy side :)

Which brings up a good point: If you're ever ordering from LEDSupply, call them first and verify the Bin. The help desk is very nice, and it sure beats waiting until you plug them in to discover what bin you received. That's how I got my LuxV Cyan B1s.
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline mort

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 02:26:35 AM »
Fantastic, insightful thread. I add my vote for Sticky.

I can tell you from experience that at 1200ma, a Lux III Cyan B5 and B6 are "Winterfresh" green to my eye, or "Minty" as QGJ put it. 'Not quite Green Giant Green, but definitely on the leafy side :)

Which brings up a good point: If you're ever ordering from LEDSupply, call them first and verify the Bin. The help desk is very nice, and it sure beats waiting until you plug them in to discover what bin you received. That's how I got my LuxV Cyan B1s.

Thanks Goodman

When you fire up your LuxV Cyan B1s at 750-1000mA - in a darkened room with little ambient light, what colour would you say it's closest to ?

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 12:09:45 AM »
this was a very helpful thread thanks a lot!!  see i always assumed that the red led's i had were a higher bin, therefore a little more orange-ish red.. i always wanted more of a crimson.. but they are kind of opposite it seems. cause a low bin blue is a deeper shade than a higher bin. so i just assumed that red followed that giude line also... hmm go figure :P   how can you tell which bin your getting when you order an led?

thanks, MTFBWY
Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »
this was a very helpful thread thanks a lot!!  see i always assumed that the red led's i had were a higher bin, therefore a little more orange-ish red.. i always wanted more of a crimson.. but they are kind of opposite it seems. cause a low bin blue is a deeper shade than a higher bin. so i just assumed that red followed that giude line also... hmm go figure :P   how can you tell which bin your getting when you order an led?

thanks, MTFBWY

Under normal circumstances, you cannot.  It does depend on where you order your LEDs and what type of quantity you buy in.  Manufacturers who buy in large quantities can sometimes specify bins.  If you purchase from TCSS, you might try emailing Tim in advance to see if he has a certain bin and, if he does, if he would put it aside for your order.  Most LED companies will not do this for an order of just an LED or two, but because TCSS is a self-owned business who caters to the saber community, you will find Tim is often very accomodating! 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Vctrsone

• No Force
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »
sweet i thought i had blue lux III for my current build..thanx to this thread i did some researching and there not..there royal blue LR3C the darkest hue of royal blue which is  so much sweeter!

great thread.

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 01:19:19 PM »
I think this is slightly wrong, on the P4s.. The reds seem a little redder than they look on the screen.

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline Kenjifujima

• No Force
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 07:40:34 PM »
Great work! Thanks so much
signature removed. no outside links.

Offline DurinIV

• No Force
  • It's pronounced "Durin Four"... :)
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
Has anyone ever tried using a Tri-Star? IT WOULD SEEM TO ME that the tri-stars would not only triple your lumen output, but also possibly give you a "cleaner" or more accurate color. If I'm mistaken in any way, PLEASE inform me - I'm very new to construction and am trying to find the absolute brightest, truest, cyan blade possible...
Just a Padawan trying to make the best lightsaber I can... :p

retrousse