fiduciary

Author Topic: The Sabersmith's Round Table.  (Read 36993 times)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: The Sabersmith's Round Table.
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2009, 09:44:19 AM »
Make 150 of those sabers, they would sell ;)

Facebook: VVFB

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
 :P :P

ace rocket I bet anything that kind of work room costs as much as a small house for sure.I've priced a cnc machine that was three years old and the guy wanted over 30,000. :o :o

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 06:56:55 PM »
While I don't usually consider myself to be a sbaersmith,  but rather a saber assembler,  I cleaned up the work area today and snapped a few pics:

In the first pic on the left,  is the whole workbench.  It's ten feet long,  and 2 feet deep.  I built it myself years ago.  It's supposed to be out in my shed in the back yard,  but there's no electricity out there yet.  In the second pic on the right,  you can see the drill press,  my rotary tool,  the drill bits,  some files,  and my plier sets.  Most of the fab work I do is done right in this area of the bench.  Behind the drill press is my grinder and my regular drill.  That's the one I use when I hone a blade holder.  A closer look at those tools is below,  on the left.

The above right pic is where I keep all of the tools I need during the saber assembly process.  Some of the tools there are my wire strippers (I know,  DT,  they're old fashioned,  but they still work!),  my digital multimeter,  the tubing cutter i use to make the grip rings I like to do,  and the drill bit sets.  The small red cases in the front center are my drill and tap sets.

This is where I do most of the work on the sabers.  You can see BS-14 there awaiting some new brass parts....I have my wire spools stacked so I can get to them easily....I have plans to have them on pegboard when I get the permanent set-up going out in the shed....the tackle box houses all of my smaller elctronics parts.  Off the left of that in the small boxes and bags are the screws I use.  Those will eventually be in an organizer,  but I'm too lazy to go out and buy one right now.  I have one out in the garage I could use for this stuff....anyway,  in the other pic,  you can see me soldering iron and my helping hands set-up.  My hot glue gun is in there,  too,  along with my battery chargers.  Now,  on the opposite side of me work bench,  I have two of those portable tables set up:

The pic on the left is the "stand by" table...where parts wait to become a saber!  I keep spare parts there,  too.  The pic on the right is where I keep my personal stuff.  I need to get a case or something for those...they take up a lot of space!  The two boxes in the pic on the righthouse the pieces and parts to Taskmaster99's CS-8 and Khrysaor's BS-12.  also seen there is BS-13, awaitint someone to give it a good home!

This next table is where the completed sabers await sale and shipment!  It also has the sabers that are waiting on parts there as well.    So,  there's a quick little photo tour of my workspace!  I hope you enjoyed it!

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 07:03:16 PM »
I've never seen so much chrome or brass in one place! So shiny! ;D ;D Very impressive QGJ. Very impressive.

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »
 :o :o

yes jay I've really have enjoyed that.I really love this subject!! :o :o

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 07:50:01 PM »
Looks like a Sabersmith's shop to me.

And hey whatever wire strippers work for YOU ;) is important!  I just don't like the 2 - in -1 cutter/strippers

Offline Rion Ozryel

• 50% Ri, 50% On
  • Experienced Force User
  • Evil is just a point of view
    • The Galactic Sweatshop
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 11:44:39 PM »
I finally got around to taking some pics of my work area. Here is "The Galactic Sweatshop":

The first picture is a long shot of my bench. The second is my soldering iron, heat shrink gun, lava lamp, Clone Wars iPod Dock, and assorted wire, and random parts.

Here are my powder coating masks, vice, and other random stuff. Then we have WD40, air in a can, acrylic paints and some drill and Dremmel bits.

The same drill and Dremmel bits and my powder coating oven.

Another shot of my bench and a few sabers I'm currently working on.
And that concludes the tour of "The Galactic Sweatshop". Thanks for stoppin' by  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:58:42 PM by Ri-on Ozryel »

“We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.”

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
Here is the virtual tour I did for JSSDC back in December.  Looks pretty much the same except most of those sabers are long since done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk8sX09s5gA

Offline Sypho Unduli

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:43 AM »
Ok keep in mind that I make medevil armor and just started making sabers, so my shop was designed for another purpose so no snickering.
All new hobbies start somewhere.

Sypho Unduli

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
Most impressive gentlemen... thank you for sharing ... and for crafting these most elegant weapons. :)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline ASAJJ VENTRESS

• you think YOU have a bad hair day...
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Simple isn't always easy.
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
Huh.  All those toys, er tools, makes me wish I didn't have an apartment, or two hands full of thumbs.

Qui-gon, not a sabersmith?  Surely you jest! 

Ri-on, i had a pirate flag like that hung off my porch every summer for years, then my room-mate moved and took it with him.  :(

Sypho, nice digs there.  Anyone that snickers is just jealous at your versatility!

For everything you gain, you lose something else.

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer the consequences

Dream Big, Build Bigger.

Offline Reg-Ma

• No Force
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
I'm really impressed with Qui-Gon's work place :o :o :o
...man you are very well organized and you are a true sabersmith for me. :D

Offline Naast

• Force User
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2009, 02:23:42 PM »
 *looks over at toolbox and dremel.*
  Someday....someday...

Live in Cen Cal, would like to know of any local groups.

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 04:31:02 PM »
'Thought I would resurrect this thread with a few pics... I've been working over the past couple of months to acquire partial ownership in a local machine shop that is part training school by day and part private use on nights and weekends.  Last week, I finally sealed the deal  ;D ;D ;D

This will be my new home starting next week. I'll still do final assembly out of humble workbench in my den (it's a lot quieter there!):

Heaven

Smells like oil!

Media blasting

Foundry

For small stuff like aluminum

Welding station

Sandcasting

My personal baby

1 of 8 tooling cabinets

...and for the few reading this, here's a teaser of something I've been working on while the deal was being vetted...

« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:03:47 PM by Goodman »
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline Master Durangus

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Graphics Designer
    • Durangus Designs on IRA
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »
:o :o Holy Revan....

If only you lived closer! I can't even find a single person on the forum who LIVES in New Mexico!

-Graphic Designer (See Bottom Link)-

The Forgotten Jedi....
-Alexander Durangus-

MD's Digital Porfolio

retrousse