fiduciary

Author Topic: Goodman's "Sidi-Esque" shorty saber with pommel button  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
Goodman's "Sidi-Esque" shorty saber with pommel button
« on: February 25, 2009, 05:11:16 PM »
Darth Scythe asked me recently if I could make a short saber for him, styled much like Sidious’ saber in ROTS. I had already been working on a simple “Sidi-Esque” saber, so merged the two projects into one.  Below is a build log of the saber so far. MUCH more to come…

The main feature of this saber is that it had to be short. I used a 5” MHS section, into which I can cram either a 4.8V/Buck setup for no sound, or a 7.2V/USv2/speaker setup for full sound goodness. Because space was so tight, I wanted to put the master switch on the pommel. This also allows for a very smooth and unassuming exterior of the saber. When the board comes, I’ll hide a tactile in a bezel near the base of the emitter.

To make the pommel button, I started with a few parts, measured to size for a push button I found at a local supplier.

Because my USv2s are away being upgraded right now (along with everyone else’s), I opted to temporarily install a 7.2V Lion setup with a foam pad where the board will be, so the batts don’t rattle in the hilt for the time being, along with a 1A Buckpuck in the space where the speaker/resonator will eventually be. This temporary setup is running a Lux3 Red. It tends to get a little warm, but again it’s only temporary and more for proof of concept for the button and interior layout. Here’s a shot from the side:

Rather than simply stick the button on the pommel, I turned down a PVC insert that fit snugly into the MHS pommel, then turned down and threaded a nylon ring through which the button inserts and snaps firmly into place. The nylon ring section/button can be removed for servicing if ever needed. I also added some detail around the button with an old aluminum tripod coupling. As it is currently wired, the button doesn’t light up, but it does have an LED in it that I plan on wiring into the final saber version.

All of the guts fit nicely in the saber body, and as you can see, it’s rather short –about 7.5”. Currently, the body is plain. Darth Scythe has an emitter and pommel that will be PCd in gold (or brass color, I forget), partially to mimic the Electrum coating on Sidious’ saber, that may replace the parts I've used here. Though right now the main body is plain silver, it will most likely be aged with a combination of aluminum black and/or baked olive oil for depth. Perhaps a simple brass tube overlay, and a smooth bezel or two just to finish off the look. Time will tell…

This saber is balanced great and with a shorter blade, makes a maneuverable yet still concealable shoto. Here it is all fired up:

And a size comparison pic with other projects I have on my bench. He's just a little guy, but will have all the light/sound features as its bigger brothers.

There is A LOT more work to do on this saber…stay tuned! Any comments, suggestions, constructive critiques are always welcome.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:33:46 PM by Goodman »
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Goodman's "Sidi-Esque" shorty saber with pommel button
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
Goodman, that is awesome!  Getting everything to fit in the smaller hilts is the mark of a true craftsman!  I'd love to see pics once you have the speaker in, and the LED setup!  Looks great so far, Darth Scythe should be very pleased :)

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse