fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing TeensySaber V2  (Read 9832 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Announcing TeensySaber V2
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »
TeensySaber V2 is officially here:

It is completely open-source and runs the same software as TeensySaber V1, the differences are:

• Much smaller: 40.8 x 17.9 mm
  • Integrated board, just add a Teensy 3.2
  • Space for three more FETs on the bottom, so segmented string blades are supported
  • FETs can handle 10A per channel.

Of course, all the previous features are still there:
  • 100% open-source
  • 12-bit 44100Hz DAC
  • 11Khz & 22Khz samples are automatically upsampled
  • Support for monophonic and polyphonic sound fonts.
  • LED stars
  • string blades
  • neopixel blades

More information here: Teensy Saber Electronics V2

I'm currently in the process of trying to figure out how to make a bunch of these for people to buy, stay tuned.
However, all files and instructions needed for someone to make their own is provided at the above link.

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
Re: Announcing TeensySaber V2
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
Great to see ongoing progress and thanks for sharing. Defo be interested in one or more if/when you're able to get some made and up for sale (really excited with where this is at and the potential for this, esp reading Thexter's "smooth swing interpolation with pitch-shifted hums" thread the other day).

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:21:21 AM »
Congratulations, it's a really nice looking board.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:02:35 PM »
I have now open-sourced the test rig for the TeensySaber, not sure if it will be useful to anybody, but here it is anyways.

Offline thatguyer

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
Very nice. It's so compact, which is great when you're trying to cram it all into a metal tube!

I wonder if I could make a version of my 16-channel LED controller that would connect neatly to your board. It needs four pins: VCC, GND, SDA, SCL.  My board consists of a PCA9685 16-channel PWM IC, with a high-power MOSFET attached to each drain. (The version below also has a 9-DOF motion sensor, but it wouldn't be needed).

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 12:21:30 AM »
Nifty, but wouldn't a 16-segment string blade have a lot of loss in brightness from all those wires?

Offline thatguyer

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 05:16:34 PM »
Nifty, but wouldn't a 16-segment string blade have a lot of loss in brightness from all those wires?

It's certainly a consideration for strings of LEDs. I made one with 10 segments, using very thin kynar wire, but I'm sure it reduces the light output. In addition, the resistance of the thin wire itself limits brightness. Since then I've been experimenting with COB LED blades, which are insanely bright. I form the COB strips into triangles, which leaves a hollow down the middle for wires.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:39:42 PM »
I've put up the plans for TeensySaber version 2.3.
It's basically the same as version 2.2, but with a few simplifications and a better stencil.
All sources available here: Teensy Saber Electronics V2

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
These are now available to buy: TeensySaber V2 for sale
Inventory is limited, but more will be available shortly.

Offline Ben Starkiller

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 05:08:26 PM »
Was looking at your KiCAD files. Do you have the library files?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »

I thought I included them in the zip file?
If not, please let me know what is missing and I'll make sure to include them.

Offline Ben Starkiller

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »

I thought I included them in the zip file?
If not, please let me know what is missing and I'll make sure to include them.

You have the pcb footprints but not the .lib files for the schematic view.

Here is what it looks like for me.

The library files are much faster/easier to make so at least the footprints are there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:59:32 AM by Ben Starkiller »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:00:14 AM »
Ok, I've updated the tar file with one that contains everything you need (hopefully)
I'm not currently at home, so I can't actually run kicad and test it myself.
Please let me know if anything else is missing.

If you don't mind me asking: Are you doing anything interesting with the kicad files, or just curious?

Offline Ben Starkiller

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
Ok, I've updated the tar file with one that contains everything you need (hopefully)

If you don't mind me asking: Are you doing anything interesting with the kicad files, or just curious?

Missing the TPS61200, Inductor, and Teensy in the library but everything else populates now. I just used a generic inductor symbol and I'm not using the Teensy anyway.

Trying to make a single board solution with battery charging circuit (TP4056). Might look at making it run off either 1 or 2 cell battery packs with the TP5100, and swapping the booster for a buck-boost. Maybe change out the AMP for an I2S amp Also I plan to use RGBW LED modules (or modules with 4 LEDs) in all my lightsabers so want it set for 4 FETs.

I'm also looking at the ESP32 as it looks pretty nice as it has what you would expect, SPI, I2C, I2S, SDIO, but also has wifi and bluetooth LE. Which could allow wireless updates and controlling, configuring through a phone. Not experienced enough as a programmer yet so looked at your design for a proven approach.

Why do you power the Teensy with the 5v booster instead of directly from the battery?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

Missing the TPS61200, Inductor, and Teensy in the library but everything else populates now. I just used a generic inductor symbol and I'm not using the Teensy anyway.

I'll add the missing pieces after my vacation is over.

Trying to make a single board solution with battery charging circuit (TP4056). Might look at making it run off either 1 or 2 cell battery packs with the TP5100, and swapping the booster for a buck-boost. Maybe change out the AMP for an I2S amp Also I plan to use RGBW LED modules (or modules with 4 LEDs) in all my lightsabers so want it set for 4 FETs.

TeensySaber V2 can handle RGBW if you populate one of the FETs on the bottom. (OR, if you use a PEX)
I2S amp might be pretty cool, and might give better sound quality. 2-cell battery packs really only makes
sense if you have a constant-current power supply I think, otherwise you're just going to waste a lot of power in resistors.

I'm also looking at the ESP32 as it looks pretty nice as it has what you would expect, SPI, I2C, I2S, SDIO, but also has wifi and bluetooth LE. Which could allow wireless updates and controlling, configuring through a phone. Not experienced enough as a programmer yet so looked at your design for a proven approach.

That would be pretty cool. Are you intending to build on the TeensySaber code base? I might be able to help out with some of the software stuff if the thing you're interested.

Why do you power the Teensy with the 5v booster instead of directly from the battery?

Combination of paranoia and not knowing better.
I don't actually know what the tolerances of the teensy is, but the input power can be REALLY noisy when PWM:ing some big LEDs, so boosting it to 5v and then running it through the 3.3v regulator feels like a reasonable safety-precaution. It's entirely possible that none of that is needed though.

I've been thinking of replacing the booster with another chip that automatically switches between buck and boost and can handle inputs up to 16 volts, which would be kind of cool as anything up to 4 cells would just work. However, as I said before; without a constant-current drive system, dual-battery setups aren't that great.

retrousse