fiduciary

Author Topic: Looking for a source for Aluminum Tubing for a complete DIY build...  (Read 1029 times)

Offline JonKClark

• No Force
  • Just a guy looking to make saber stuff!
Hello,

I a new to the building scene and I was looking for a reliable and reasonably priced source for the Aluminum tubing needed for the Hilt/Blade Holder Emitter sections. I made a rough mock up of what I want from PVC found at the Home Depot, but now I want to move on to the "Real Thing". I am looking for either 1 3/8 OD 1 1/4 ID or 1 1/2 OD 1 1/4 ID for the Hilt and 1 1/4 OD 1 ID for the Blade holder. I prefer the 1 3/8 OD. Anyone have a good online source? Unless of course you are in the Allentown, PA area then local would be OK.

Thanks
Jon
Remember: Han shot first!
Jedi Atu'karek

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Looking for a source for Aluminum Tubing for a complete DIY build...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
You may have a local yard that can deliver to you, and right now giving business to your local shops is a good thing.

OnlineMetals.com has a decent selection and pricing, and reasonable shipping.  Their tubing usually telescopes (one size fits into the next) well enough.  I have found that the 1" ID tubing generally doesn't fit a saber blade.

Offline K-2SO

• Killer Droid Extraordinaire
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Congratulations! You are being rescued.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 10:22:58 AM »
Moved - K-2SO

I find your arguments vague and unconvincing.

Quiet! *Slap* And there’s a fresh one if you mouth off again.

Offline kaanapuchris

• No Force
  • Surely you can to better
i use Online Metals. search these part numbers: 12836, 6996, 7783. 2 are aluminum and 1 is steel

Offline JonKClark

• No Force
Moved - K-2SO
Thank you for the information! These look good for the Blade Holder piece but what do you use for the Hilt?
Thanks again,Jon
Jedi Atu'karek

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Jon, I sometimes use DX-engineering.  They sell aluminium tubing for radio antennas, so they're great for telescoping.  The tolerances are slightly looser than online metals, but that means 1" ID is enough to fit standard 1" blades and even the slightly-more-than-1" that some other vendors sell.  Some have slits on the end for the antenna attachment points, so if you get these, make sure it's without the slits.  I usually got the 3' lengths, and just cut them, but you can get other lengths too.

The website is a little funny to navigate, but if you can make a hilt from raw aluminium tube, then it shouldn't be too rough.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/rigid-tubing?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=department%3Arigid-tubing%2Bpart-type%3Aaluminum-tubing

Offline JonKClark

• No Force
Jon, I sometimes use DX-engineering.  They sell aluminium tubing for radio antennas, so they're great for telescoping.  The tolerances are slightly looser than online metals, but that means 1" ID is enough to fit standard 1" blades and even the slightly-more-than-1" that some other vendors sell.  Some have slits on the end for the antenna attachment points, so if you get these, make sure it's without the slits.  I usually got the 3' lengths, and just cut them, but you can get other lengths too.

The website is a little funny to navigate, but if you can make a hilt from raw aluminium tube, then it shouldn't be too rough.

https://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/rigid-tubing?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=department%3Arigid-tubing%2Bpart-type%3Aaluminum-tubing

This is by far the best I have found... I like my hilt to be 1 3/8 OD but most companies do not sell that with the 1.25 ID and these guys do! Also their shipping is reasonable as well.. I will be placing an order with them when I am ready to start another... Already got 2 in the works.... lol

Jon :jediblue: :jediblue:
Jedi Atu'karek

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!

http://www.dxengineering.com/search/department/rigid-tubing?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=department%3Arigid-tubing%2Bpart-type%3Aaluminum-tubing

This is by far the best I have found... I like my hilt to be 1 3/8 OD but most companies do not sell that with the 1.25 ID and these guys do! Also their shipping is reasonable as well.. I will be placing an order with them when I am ready to start another... Already got 2 in the works.... lol

Jon :jediblue: :jediblue:

I also have also used DX-engineering I got 6' lengths last time and shipping was still quite resonable. I agree tolerances are a bit loser but as eastern57 pointed out that can work to your advantage. Widening a bore out by hand so your blade fits can bit a very time consuming task, assuming you don't have a lathe.

Offline JonKClark

• No Force
Looser tolerances are a good thing. Last time I ordered from an online supply, I had to get the machine shop at work to do me a favor and bore it out... Unfortunately I do not have a lathe... maybe in the future..

Jon
Jedi Atu'karek

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe

A honing tool is your best friend. 

Offline JonKClark

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 06:07:02 PM »

A honing tool is your best friend.
JB,
I will definitely be getting one of these. I know where I can get the 1.25 OD tubing that I will need at some point, but the ID was slightly less than 1" so this is perfect!
Thanks for the tip!Jon
Jedi Atu'karek

retrousse