fiduciary

Author Topic: Eighth Saber WIP  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Eighth Saber WIP
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Look good so far! Keep these pictures coming

Thank you!

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 08:49:44 AM »
Chassis.

I'm going to have to redo the wiring on the primary button, as you can see I got a little too happy with the lighter while setting the heat shrink on it. Other than that, it's ready to go into the saber.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 10:40:03 AM »
Good to see another one on the way - hope it goes well!

What were the advantageous things you liked about the 3.5 + MPU-6050 + MAX98357 setup?

There are 4 aspects of this setup that I really like.
1. The amp is very loud. With a 5v boost, it can pump about 3W into my 4 ohm speaker.
2. Sound quality is very clear. It avoids a lot of the self-noise from Teensy's dac. Whereas, with the dac/prop-shield, I could hear some hiss any time the saber was on, with this, I only hear sound when there is sound to be heard.
3. Cost. Amp is $6 from adafruit, and a generic MPU-6050 board is about $3. While the Teensy 3.5 is higher than a 3.2 at $25, the overall cost is lower.
4. The built-in SD card on the Teensy 3.5. It's just convenient.

I still wish there was a nice single board teensy solution; something similar to the DIYino in size.

This is the same amplifier that I'm using on the TeensySaber V3. It's not a single-board solution yet, but it's pretty small. :)
If you're interested it's probably pretty easy to port the TeensySaber software to your setup. The only part that isn't already supported is the MPU-6050.

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »
This is the same amplifier that I'm using on the TeensySaber V3.

I think it's a good choice of amplifier.

If you're interested it's probably pretty easy to port the TeensySaber software to your setup. The only part that isn't already supported is the MPU-6050.

I haven't taken a look at the TeensySaber software, but I'm sure you're right. If you're doing any sensor fusion, the NXP seems like a better solution. Getting the DMP to work on the MPU-6050 is a bit of a pain and it seems to have a lot more drift compared to the one on the prop shield. That being said, I ended up not needing absolute orientation anyway.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »

I haven't taken a look at the TeensySaber software, but I'm sure you're right. If you're doing any sensor fusion, the NXP seems like a better solution. Getting the DMP to work on the MPU-6050 is a bit of a pain and it seems to have a lot more drift compared to the one on the prop shield. That being said, I ended up not needing absolute orientation anyway.

I'd happily add some MPU-6050 support if you'd be willing to test it.
The teensysaber software doesn't use any sensor fusion, never saw the point of doing that.
Teensysaber uses a cooperative lightweight threading model, so the standard libraries probably won't work, but it's pretty easy to fix it.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »

I'd happily add some MPU-6050 support if you'd be willing to test it.
The teensysaber software doesn't use any sensor fusion, never saw the point of doing that.
Teensysaber uses a cooperative lightweight threading model, so the standard libraries probably won't work, but it's pretty easy to fix it.

Well, I'm not good at waiting, so I went ahead and added MPU6050 support to the teensysaber software. It compiles, but I can't test it of course.
If you do decide to try it, please let me know if it works or not.
The new version isn't linked from my webpage, but you can get it here: http://fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/lightsaber-1.158.zip

Offline Sethski

• Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 02:16:07 AM »
Looking good so far!

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
This is finished.

Please view the gallery post Eighth Saber COMPLETE for more pictures.

Offline jeremy.g

• No Force
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 04:05:15 AM »
Nice!

I particularly like how you milled out the LED holder to get the switch closer to the top of the saber. 

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 11:30:50 AM »
Thank you.

retrousse