fiduciary

Author Topic: Anyone in Oklahoma?  (Read 40889 times)

Offline Novahawk

• Padawan Learner
  • Rogue Knight of the Jedi Order
Re: Anyone in Oklahoma?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 06:33:27 PM »
Does anybody know where we can get LED filters(Lee or otherwise) locally?  I know TCSS has them, but if I can, I would like to buy locally.
Custom saber Valhalla SRD and/or Royal blue
MR stock: Obi-Wan, Windu, Yoda
4 MR construction kits(one converted by Ultra)
Ultra's Dominix Adgean Silver
Ultra's Dominix SRD
Ultra's Dominix Consular Green
Ultra's Legacy Guardian Blue
Ultra's Phantom double Blazing Red

Offline Unseen_jedi

• Padawan Learner
  • I do not shun my anger. I control it, reshape it.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 09:27:03 AM »
 Well, if anyone in Oklahoma is willing to travel to Stillwater at least once a month, I have a few people up here interested in joining my lightsaber enthusiasts group. Of course we would discuss other topics of interest at the meetings: movies, games, etc., but we will mostly discuss lightsaber arts/technology/combat/construction, maybe some costuming and choreography. I would prefer to hold some meetings outdoors, weather permitting, as there are many parks in Stillwater and very few crowds, and preferably around dusk since our sabers would look so awesome as night began to fall. Suggestions?

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
  • When the light is green, the trap is clean.
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
That sounds like fun, the only rpoblem for me is the traveling. I could ride my motorcycle, but where would I put the saber? If I could free up some time (and gas money) I would come check it out.

Offline Novahawk

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 05:29:56 PM »
I wish I was able to do that Unseen_Jedi.  However, my current schedule sucks and I don't have weekends off.  I work graveyard and sleep during the day.  Then there is the gas money thing for me too.  Would there be anyway to meet in Tulsa during the week in the evenings/nights, say Tues or Wednesday?  That would probably be a problem for those in school I suppose.  Then there would be the problem as to where to meet in Tulsa.  Any ideas?
Ultra's Dominix SRD

Offline Unseen_jedi

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 09:37:10 AM »
Well Senti Xamas, though I think it would look cool if you were riding down the highway at night, one hand on the throttle and an ignited lightsaber blazing in the other, I understand the issue. And yes Novahawk, fuel is pricey lo these recent months and though Oklahoma is one of our smaller states, it is a ways to ride. Blast! There is no way in sight to do this. Too much inconvenience for all. Perhaps we could hold a small convention-like event once a year? The first saber-con or something? I can see it, saber form demos, live stage combat, instructional classes, battle reinactments(sp?), sabersmith booths, costumers, all things lightsaber. Alas, that would cost much money  :(. I am vexed.  ???

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 04:11:13 AM »
I like your idea of a once a year meeting. Basically like a convention for saber enthusiasts. I dont know how to plan for something like that, but I have a friend of mine in the event planning department. Maybe I could ask her the best way to do that.

Offline Darth Thalos

• Skipping Vinyl Playback Loop
  • Master Force User
  • oh look, a leaky canister
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:51:00 AM »
it could be done!  I mean look here in Tulsa, we have defcon and tokyo in tulsa?  Why not take them over?
Oh Look!  A leaky canister, *cough cough*  BRAAAAAAAINNNNNNNNS!

Offline Unseen_jedi

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
Well, I know that first we must find sufficient space. Usually a hotel or convention center must be reserved in advance. We have no less than 4 brand new hotels built here in Stillwater, some still not complete. And I think the students here might think it cool to see live lightsaber duels performed to Star Wars soundtracks. The issue is money, on both ends of the circuit. It would cost us money to set this whole thing up, which in turn would leave us to charge those attending our con some amount of admission to recover our costs. So all in all, our loss of money means a loss of money for those attending the event. Were this a free endeavor, it would cost our guests nothing, and everone is happy all around, hence my original idea of having a non-profit group holding regular meetings to socialize and share ideas. Maybe we could each start individual chapters in our respective areas, just to get people involved with saber dueling initially?

Offline Darth Thalos

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:39 PM »
tulsa defcon and tokyo in tulsa isn't till next august I believe.  If anyone wants we could figure out how to get some plans together and try to attend these two events, like this year they were three day events, we could do a show at defcon one day and at tokyo in tulsa the next?

Offline Senti Xamas

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 04:07:36 AM »
I sound like a total noob probably, but what is defcon and tokyo?

Offline Darth Thalos

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 05:50:09 AM »
well defcon, and Tokyo In Tulsa, are "anime"  conventions held every year in tulsa, we could turn them upside down ;D

Offline Unseen_jedi

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 09:14:10 AM »
 Heh, heh, a "force flip"! Is that like a force push? I like the idea of being part of a con, too bad that it wouldn't focus on saber arts exclusively. A Force-Con definitely would rock. What do you think the chances of getting actual Star Wars film actors, not extras, to attend?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:49:24 AM by Unseen_jedi »

Offline Novahawk

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 10:22:31 PM »
That would be sweet Unseen_Jedi, but it would be pretty expensive to get anybody from Star Wars to come to Tulsa or Oklahoma in general.  Those "special guests" are usually paid for their time and probably not cheap.  The con usually has to pay the actors/actresses to attend and pay for their expenses(food and hotel).  And I am not talking Holiday Inn either.  It might be easier to get some sabersmiths to come show their wares.  Alex from Ultrasabers or Tim from TCSS might (and I stress might) be willing if the event were to be big enough to get them some interested customers.  There are others that also do more expensive custom saber jobs, but I can't remeber names at the moment.  Maybe some other saberswordsmen/women could come and show and/or teach people how to swordfight safely.  Other merchants selling various Star Wars things might come too and other scifi stuff too.  The more variety the better off getting the audience more interested in the hobby. Sorry didn't mean to write a small novel here. ;D
Ultra's Dominix SRD

Offline Darth Thalos

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 05:47:25 AM »
That would be sweet Unseen_Jedi, but it would be pretty expensive to get anybody from Star Wars to come to Tulsa or Oklahoma in general.  Those "special guests" are usually paid for their time and probably not cheap.  The con usually has to pay the actors/actresses to attend and pay for their expenses(food and hotel).  And I am not talking Holiday Inn either.  It might be easier to get some sabersmiths to come show their wares.  Alex from Ultrasabers or Tim from TCSS might (and I stress might) be willing if the event were to be big enough to get them some interested customers.  There are others that also do more expensive custom saber jobs, but I can't remeber names at the moment.  Maybe some other saberswordsmen/women could come and show and/or teach people how to swordfight safely.  Other merchants selling various Star Wars things might come too and other scifi stuff too.  The more variety the better off getting the audience more interested in the hobby. Sorry didn't mean to write a small novel here. ;D
that is quite alright!  It would be nice, the conventions really just got into the groove this year, so maybe next year.

Offline Darth Thalos

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
hey guys, I am thinking maybe we could joing up at a con around the green country area next year?  Is this alright with everyone?  We could put together some ideas, try and do some sort of jedi vs. s/dark jedi battle.  Attempt anything really, I think we could possibly get something going if we try.

retrousse