fiduciary

Author Topic: Cyprium E-Series Modified Saber  (Read 3959 times)

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
Cyprium E-Series Modified Saber
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »

This is a modified Ultra Sabers E-Series "Elder"

Cyprium is the original Long Latin for Copper or Cuprum (Cu) on the Periodic table.

The reason it was called Cyprium is because copper was heavily mined near Cypress. It was shortened to the Latin Cuprum later.

I wanted something that looked like it had seen battle, then tossed into the Valley of the Dark Lords for a few millennia.

The electronics are not in yet, because I have a little more work to do on the hilt.

I made my lathe cuts rough, and fast to simulate the weathering, and to make it imperfect.  I even used a dulled bit and let it "sing" a little here and there (Machinists will know what I mean, by running it hard and hot with little to no lubrication).

The hilt was then dabbed in oil, baked at 500oF for 25 minutes.  Allowed to cool until warm to the touch, then scoured.

It was re-coated with another light coat of oil, and then baked @ 425o for another 15 minutes to darken and seal.

The hilt was then polished with 0000 grade steel wool, and re assembled.

It will keep the Cyan blade it originally had. Lux III SRD.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:56:49 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Offline DarrynVarson

• Master Force User
  • Aspiring Jedi
Re: Cyprium E-Series Modified Saber
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 12:16:32 PM »
 :o

Master Tyranus,
That is a very wicked looking saber. Nice stuff Sir.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »
Looks like it spent some quality time with "Darth Ursus,"  before getting put through the weathering process! Nicely done!

Offline chaos_79

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 03:02:21 PM »
Thats looking cool, I can't wait to see it finished!

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:32:02 PM »
I may add some knurls to the rear grip section, and do a leather wrapping In the recessed areas.

I have replaced the CT knob with a D-ring. (I'll get more pics later after I get the guts reinstalled)

One thing I want everyone to heed: BE VERY CAREFUL how deeply you cut if you lathe this hilt! The wall thickness on the copper tube is not very thick to begin with.

This saber will not be dueled with, as I am making it more for display than anything else. I have some other cosmetic adornments to add (All metal) and some finishing touches to make, but it is coming along nicely.

The saber is meant to look rough and battered. It is an old republic styled hilt, and the color tone is almost Terracotta in nature.  It gives it a very earthy feel, almost nomadic.

Offline Mikkyo of the Sith

• Experienced Force User
  • Peace is a lie. . .
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
Very cool.  8)

Offline Darth Eugaltsh

• Sith Roadie
  • Master Force User
  • Thank you from Darth T.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »
 :o thats amzin DT!!!
*Never Forget Glitter Wars.  The Force Was With Us That Day, But It Was Too Much*

[br />The Force is strong with this one.

But only with the dark side.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 08:21:14 AM »
That definitely looks aged and well used like it had indeed been around for millennia!  Good job!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:13:25 PM »
Ancient copper...suhweet!...knurls ought to look fantastic on that, and leather wrapping will complement it all nicely...it's great to see how amazingly coolly an E series can be 'dressed up' by a master smith.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse