fiduciary

Author Topic: Saber III: Eastern57-Inspired Katarn  (Read 2048 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Saber III: Eastern57-Inspired Katarn
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:57:20 AM »
So I finally got around to finishing my replica of Eastern57's Katarn saber I started back in May. I made a few modifications to the original design. There were a few bumps in the road, but it turned out pretty nice, I think. at least, I'm proud of it. it's the saber I wanted when I was ten, and now, I've got it.

Apologies in advance for the terrible cell phone camera video. I'd have gone with photos, but I still haven't gotten around to figuring out a replacement for photobucket yet.

Here's a short look:

Features:
18650 battery
20mm Veco speaker
Custom shapeways printed chassis
NBv3
Cree XP-E2 Green LED
DIY anodising throughout
custom 3D printed elements
Hacked up MHS parts a la Eastern57

Here's a longer look. Fair warning, it includes me talking, is dull, and poorly shot. 

So there you go. saber three complete. I plan on making a belt holster for it down the line, as well as a few other Dark Forces II props.

Onto Saber IV. I'll be a Sith Lord saber, this time.

MTFBWY!
Better late than never.

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Saber III: Eastern57-Inspired Katarn
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 02:59:45 PM »
Very nice! Love it.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »
Nicely Done!!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
Wow, dude, that looks great!  Way better than mine, which I still have.  I love that one, despite it's humble construction.  :azn:

It's so funny that you took pictures in the same pose as mine, because I actually took those to mimic Neophil's Katarn that he made for Koda Vonnor.  It's like looking in the mirror... like srsly, I've even done that blade retention screw trick. Once you start chopping and rearranging MHS, weird opportunities like that just open up. :cheesy:

#AwesomeDogg #KeepItUp

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »
Wow, dude, that looks great!  Way better than mine, which I still have.  I love that one, despite it's humble construction.  :azn:

It's so funny that you took pictures in the same pose as mine, because I actually took those to mimic Neophil's Katarn that he made for Koda Vonnor.  It's like looking in the mirror... like srsly, I've even done that blade retention screw trick. Once you start chopping and rearranging MHS, weird opportunities like that just open up. :cheesy:

#AwesomeDogg #KeepItUp

Thanks, man! Honestly, you did 75% of the work on this one, I just reverse engineered it and put my touches on it. And I have to say, I am really proud of this one. Like, if there was the space inside the hilt to convert it to a Crystal Focus, I would do that-level proud.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
It looks like there would be plenty of room, that chassis takes up a lot of space. #oldschoolcramfu :cool:

Also just noticed the title of the second vid, lol. :cheesy:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
...Y'know what, bar the crystal chamber, I'm not really fond of that chassis at all. Looks purdy, but it was a right pain to get everything to fit in there. Can't even get the SD card out of the NB right now, either...

I'll have to give it a think.

Man, you should have seen the stuff I left out. I bored myself at one point  :cheesy:
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »
Lol!  I've put "Warning: Boring" on videos before, but that's pretty much just telling people "Don't watch". :cheesy: :cheesy:

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:07:56 AM »
Well, it was my first time making a video where I actually talk. First time branching out into video, really. I'd have stuck with photos if it weren't for photobucket turning to the Dark Side. I'll have to improve my video skills for the next one. (or, y'know, sign up to imgur or some other host)
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
Beautiful, great job

Offline Excelsior

• No Force
    • Excelsior Sabers
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 08:06:22 PM »
Awesome--I love it! I've always been a fan of this saber. I need to fire up the lathe and get to work on one of these myself--thanks for the inspiration!. I enjoyed listening to your explanations of how you did everything. It was not at all a "pointless long ramble"! I like hidden set screws myself, so kudos there!

retrousse