fiduciary

Author Topic: Introducing Igniter(tm) R4 and Mini!  (Read 4634 times)

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
Introducing Igniter(tm) R4 and Mini!
« on: March 20, 2013, 08:17:00 AM »
Igniter R4

After months of coding, testing, fixing, coding, testing dashed with a few nasty explicits (like F-Disk and Firetruck! LOL!) I finally am ready to release Igniter(tm) R4. This will be the biggest release since R1 in terms of the most amount of stuff added; the entire code base was re-examined, improvements made and of course a completely new feature has been added (you'll have to wait for that tomorrow :) In fact you may have two surprises tomorrow as I'm still preparing the video for those second things :)

The new release is now available for anyone to purchase in my store: SaberIgniter.com. I'll be updating my site over the next couple of days with the new config editor but all purchases will come with R4 and the new config editor on the uSD card. And some of you may have noticed that while you must buy the TruColor(tm) now with Igniter(tm) (as it allows me to focus on color features for Igniter(tm) and have less shipping confusion) that the overall price has dropped, even with the new features. (: R4 - More for less :)

Improvements

R4 Part 1 - Improvements walkthrough

There were many improvements to the Igniter(tm) platform this release. I fixed a few issues with minColor not working for some colors, accents sometimes coming on for split seconds, ect. Lots of little tweaks to get things going more smoothly. However some improvements were to really address useability, and these most 5 important ones are the following:

• Latching main switch support - for anyone installing into an MR you'll find this handy as you won't need to custom install a new switch. Also works great for Parks where you turn the twisting knobs into a switch by putting a tactile under it.
  • EZ Blast(tm) improvements - for some fonts it was tough to trigger the EZ Blast(tm) feature as the blaster sounds were short, so blaster mode would end. Now you can set the buffer using the blWait variable in the config editor to specify the amount of time it remains in the mode, making the feature easier to trigger.
  • Saber FX (tm) Swing override - for FX packs like Droid Armada, I found it annoying that the swings would cutoff the fx sound. Thus I added a parameter to allow swings to be ignored when the FX sounds are playing. This allows you to have talking ones that can be cutoff or action ones that won't get cutoff
  • Saber Cinema(tm) interaction enhancement - now a font that has Saber Cinema(tm) engaged can still be used as normal or with Saber Cinema(tm) engaged! Pressing the main button simply makes the font work as normal. Holding the aux button will engage Saber Cinema(tm), allowing a personalized Saber Cinema(tm) experience for each font.
  • Continued audio improvements - More work was done in the audio engine to get crystal clear sounds regardless of the weird color or pulsing scheme that was chosen for the main LED. The sound is loud and clear.

New Feature!!!

Igniter(TM) R4 Release - part 2

Introducing Saber Dual Phase(TM), the most exciting feature to hit the saber world since the 9-in-1(TM) saber! With Dual Phase(TM) you will be able to have two main blade colors that can be transitioned to while the saber is running! Similar to a feature described in EU books, this will allow one saber with multiple crystals to be engaged differently. On top of that, because both the blade color and Dual Phase(TM) color are affected by BladeShade(TM), it is possible to switch between multiple colors!

To activate Dual Phase(TM), simply twist-the-wrist and the feature will be activated. The colors will transition before your eyes! Twist-the-wrist again and the color will transition back to the original color. The amount of twist needed and the amount of motion allowed in other directions is configurable so you can setup the triggering to your use-pattern.

There are two sub-modes of Dual Phase(TM)

• Classic - this mode works as described above, switching between two distinct colors and playing a sound during both of the transitions. With BladeShade(TM) you can even transition to multiple colors allowing a rainbow saber experience! You can also set two similar colors, one being brighter allowing for a battery saving mode at cons. Finally, by setting the Dual Phase(TM) color to the same as the main blade color you can trigger Action or Force sounds, where unlike FX mode you control when the sound occurs.
  • Lock - this mode is different in that the dual phase color is "locked" into place, and the dual phase sound repeats until the user clicks the aux button, where the color returns to normal. Useful for simulating a saber cutting through a door (I've provided a special sound for this that will be on my site)

Another Surprise?
I have another surprise in store too, here's a hint for those that like these: Igniter(tm) Now Is More.

The answer is: Igniter(TM) Mini! Based on the Spark(TM) platform (the PCB is shared, but Mini has different components), Igniter(TM) Mini is a way to have a full version of Igniter(TM) on a small solution that requires only one battery. What this means is that it will now be possible to create small sabers like Parks or sabers with fancy reveal chambers that still can utilize all the features of Igniter(TM).

There are only two differences functionality wise of the Igniter(TM)-Mini vs. the Igniter:

• Volume - because it runs on only one battery (up to 5v), the audio amp cannot  produce the volume as a full Igniter(TM) can.
  • Main LEDs - Igniter(TM)-Mini only supports 3 main Die instead of 4. This is minor as the major use-case will be a TriRebel or Quad Rebel with two of the same colors anyways, but it is a difference to note.

Because of the complexity of the Mini, I'm currently not listing it directly in my store at this time. I may do so in the future but more needs to be worked out in terms making it user friendly along with some business decisions. For now if you are interested in getting a Mini for a build please PM me.

Config Editor

As mentioned, a new config editor that makes all the features of R4 available will be soon added to the website. This contains a few fixes, re-organization of the tabs plus new slides for all the improvements/ new features.

I hope everyone enjoys this release, it was a lot of hours in the making. Special thanks to IA, Arkhan, Caz and DarthAlice for their continued support, and for everyone else that has helped me along the way. Without everyone's support I wouldn't be able to continue as I have. I'm God-blessed to have so many good friends near and far.

Godspeed, and MTFBWY all!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:29:41 AM by naigon »
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline LordBlako

• Master Force User
  • I'm just the Font Maker!
Re: Introducing Igniter(tm) R4 and Mini!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
freakin' awesome new feature!!!  :o :o :o

Offline Iggy

• Formerly known as Polarcupz
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:05 AM »
What this means is that it will not be possible to create small sabers like Parks or sabers with fancy reveal chambers that still can utilize all the features of Igniter(TM).

I think you mean "Now" be possible.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:59:20 AM by Iggy »

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

Offline blackluc

• Master Force User
  • Lord Saevius
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Mini? woah!!!

French Canadian Sith Lord

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »
Scott, I did have a question.  You said there are only two differences between Igniter and Mini, but I am wondering...does the Mini have an LED driver?

Facebook: VVFB

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 09:29:49 AM »
Scott, I did have a question.  You said there are only two differences between Igniter and Mini, but I am wondering...does the Mini have an LED driver?

Yes and no. If you install it with a single 18650 or 18500 you wouldn't have the voltage for the TruColor(TM) board so in that case no. If you use a 5v regulator or a a 5v boost regulator to a 7.4v pack or 3.7v battery respectively then you could use TruColor(TM) or any separate LEDDriver like the one Tim sells. Details that are confusing to end users which is why for now I'm not releasing this as a for sale board (I cringe at the thought of writing a manual for this one, LOL!)

That being said with the color mixing improvements from R3 and setting the appropriate values in the Advanced tab of the simulator I've found that my eye cannot determine the difference between the regulated blade and one that is direct drive, so it is quite a moot point. That's why I really wanted to call out the audio, as the audio of Igniter(TM) R4 with processing improvements is super loud, clear, and full, whereas with Mini it will be very clean but not nearly as loud and not quite as bassy.

Hope that clears it up instead of making it more confusing :p LOL
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57:18 AM »
Please PM a moderator at your earliest convienence
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:13:21 AM by KIT FISTO »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline GreaSyde

• Force User
  • I always wear a lightsaber.
    • ACMEsabers
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
Are you still going to offer the "Spark " or is the mini going to replace it entirely?
Only two there shall be. A master and an apprentice. One to embody the power and the other to crave it.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Igniter Miniâ„¢ will NOT be replacing Sparkâ„¢

Sparkâ„¢ is an excellent product and will definitely be a flagship product. Mini is just another cool option in the family

Offline Nick Knight

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 01:42:49 PM »
Every time you release a video i get excited to watch and see what is new. You never stop impressing me.
"A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
"Choose what is right, not what is easy"

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
I can see a few uses for the Dual Phase option, another new feature brought into the hobby that didn't exist before.  I like it.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Timo

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »
WOW. I am impressed to say the least.  Beautiful work!   ;)
"Bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness."

retrousse