fiduciary

Author Topic: Mando, Season 2  (Read 1997 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Re: Mando, Season 2
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »
Rest in peace, Mandalorian. Jumped the Shark far before it's time. Another senseless victim of 2020.
Better late than never.

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Turtle Shell Productions
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
Rest in peace, Mandalorian. Jumped the Shark far before it's time. Another senseless victim of 2020.

Really?   I certainly don't think so.  Season 2 was strong.   I missed the serial/western feel of the first season a little bit, but the big plot stuff for season 2 was still valid and maintained.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2020, 05:39:23 PM »
Season Two was strong, right up until the end, when it played the Card of No Return.

What we had with the Mandalorian was a breath of fresh air. Something new in Disney-era Star Wars, which so far has been hidebound, repetitive, pointlessly formulaic and that reeks of design by committee. Proof (as if it was needed, old EU had plenty of it) that the franchise could stand strong without having to make every little thing about comings and going of the Skywalker clan. We could see the galaxy from points of view we'd never seen before. no more trade negotiations, no more space opera politics, no more mystery boxes.

And for fifteen glorious episodes, we were free of them. We had a show helmed by folks with artistic vision yet who knew the frames of the canon, directed by new directors injecting a fresh vision for what Star Wars could be, rather than constant repetition and poaching of the past for that sweet, sweet nostalgia cash.

There was no reason for Skywalker to show up. You want a Jedi tearing up some Dark Troopers? Okay, I can roll with that. It could have been literally any Jedi, though. Ahsoka Tano realising she was wrong a few chapters back. a young Snoke popping out of a clone tank. Sam Jackson returning in a surprise cameo as a one armed, 0rder 66 surviving BMF emerging from exile. a Sith Lord. an old canon character being brought back. One of those Padawans from the Clone Wars. Heaven forfend,*shocked gasp* a NEW Jedi we've never heard of.

Nope. We got an almost-out-of-the-Uncanny Valley Luke Skywalker. Like a walking millstone around the franchise's neck, because everything has to have a Skywalker in it somewhere, or it's not Star Wars, right? Wouldn't want those idiots watching at home to think they've tuned in to Star Trek: Discovery by mistake.

So yeah. Either this was an imposition on the Mandalorian from above, a sign that Disney is tightening its grip on the creative control for the franchise, now that it's found a profitable and fan-approved venue for the franchise, and that we can continue seeing this going on as more and more Star Wars shows start airing, squeezing more and more life and creativity from the franchise.

Or, this is what Favreau And Filioni came up with all along, and the last hope we had for the franchise is just as hackneyed as the rest of it.

I would dearly love to be wrong. Mando was great right up until the very end. But I don't see the point in denial. There isn't much room for The Mandalorian to manoeuvre now that the Skywalker card has been played. The shark has been jumped, just with a jetpack this time.
Better late than never.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2020, 07:25:11 AM »
Mandalorian is the new IronMan. They are using it for world building.
They basically shouted it from the rooftops with Ashoka's lame excuse to not train, and her hunt for Thrawn.
Luke will get a training series.
Boba Will take on Crimson Dawn.
Mando is in position to take over Mandalore.
Plus all the other series announced.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »
I could not disagree with thunder more. It was an great episode, and frankly exactly the Jedi that should have shown up from the call since it is of the same period and Luke is possibly the only remaining Jedi (Ashoka bailed and maybe Ezra?)

Not sure why you are looking for a franchise that was always all about Skywalkers, to suddenly drop them...without getting into a discussion on the ST, this was a great way to wrap season 2.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
Not sure why you are looking for a franchise that was always all about Skywalkers, to suddenly drop them.

Because all that's worth telling of Luke's story has has been told. It had a start point (ep4), and it had a logical end point (ep6.) Trying to add more onto it, in the current canon, gave us the ST, and any continuation of Luke's story can only lead to the ST. Disney won't deviate from that, no matter how much we want them to. Which is why it's probably for the best to recognise that it's time to retire him and move on.

Also, it stands logically that we already know The Child's fate, and that's death by Kylo Ren when he has a strop and kills the rest of Luke's Academy. 

That aside, I have to ask, why does everything in Star Wars have to be about the Skywalkers? So much of the cream of franchise, both Canon and Legends, has been without them. The first 15 chapters of the Mandalorian, Knights of the Old Republic, Rogue One, the latter half of the Clone Wars, Jedi vs Sith, Rogue Squadron, Republic Commandos, Rebels, Tales of the Jedi, etc

Star Wars can live without them. I'd argue Star Wars flourished without them.
Better late than never.

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 12:51:31 PM »
Thunder,

I also disagree with pretty much everything you said.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of the uncanny valley Luke overlay, I thought that the find episode was AMAZING.
I *LOVED* the Luke cameo, and I don't think that it detracted from the concept that this series is about the NON-skywalkers.

The wade-through-the-droids basically just showed how utterly TERRIFYING a master-force-user is to the rest of the universe and combined with the Ahsoka episode, it really highlights the fact that the "normals" in the universe need someone who can stand against them. The Madolorians were the layer of protection and could be again.

As for Baby Yoda getting killed by Kylo.  You/we have no such knowledge of that outcome. Logically, there are 18 thousand ways to explain that BY is NOT present when Kylo goes all Anakin on Luke's school.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »
I love Sir RawThunderman's perspective on this and agree.

I too imagined what would it have been like if another Jedi that Luke was training (leia? another?) stepped up and was in that scene instead of Luke. I thought it would have been more powerful to have someone like Leia or someone new for us to be introduced to. It certainly made sense for it to be Luke, but my belief is that if they treated Luke properly in the sequals, then it would not have been necessary to have Luke in the Mandalorian. The only reason we saw Luke in the Mandalorian is because they severely screwed up his character in the sequels and that made Favrou feel like he had to 'do something' to correct this so we got what we got.

Awesome? Yes. Could have been different? Yes also. Maybe would have more titilating to the audience to have a brand new set of Jedi in that hallway. Maybe even Leia... I think her final line of dialogue could have been: "My brother will know what to do." And she walks away with baby Yoda in her arms.

Offline DARTH VADER

• SMF tech support
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 09:12:24 PM »
I believe there was an agreement with the Fischer estate that they would not use Leia fakes,cgi or deep fake

retrousse