fiduciary

Author Topic: White Luxeon with color discs  (Read 3601 times)

Offline EvilOttoJr

• Padawan Learner
White Luxeon with color discs
« on: May 22, 2011, 03:26:15 AM »
Hello again everyone! Sorry about the frequent questions but I have a lot that needs answered :)

Okay, basically my situation boils down to this - after learning how to solder, I've decided that it it not outside my capability to build a simple Luxeon saber. However, I want my saber to have the ability to switch colors. After sifting through several years of threads, I've found out that wiring an RGB LED is far outside the scope of what I can do (even experienced sabersmiths apparently have trouble with mixing). I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I won't be able to complete.

I have heard a bit about the color discs that TCSS sells for white Luxeon sabers, and what I've gotten is mixed reviews. I can't find any YouTube reviews or even pictures (sans a vague one on the TCSS site) showing this and I'd like to decide for myself. Does anyone happen to have a white saber with these and would be willing to put up a YouTube video demonstrating it? If you have a white Luxeon saber but no color discs, I will be willing to buy the discs for you so you can show me the video. Color discs worked well for the Hasbro "Build Your Own Lightsaber" toy which I have and I really like the colors that provided. Color discs may actually satisfy my thirst for multi-colored lightsabers and save me lots of money and headache.

I'm also considering colored polycarbonate blades, which would be cool because they look neat even though the saber is off. Anybody have any experience with these?

I'd be very grateful to anybody who could help me out with this.

Thanks and MTFBWY,
EvilOttoJr

Owner of 5 Luxeon Ultrasabers: Archon (green), Nemesis (blue), Elder (orange), and Tempest (red S-curve double blade that detaches into two hilts), and soon to build my own sink tube RGB Luxeon saber!

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
Re: White Luxeon with color discs
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:58:35 AM »
I don't have a vid or pics, but I can tell you...  The only color really worth filtering through a white led to get is yellow....   All of the others seem to lose to much saturation and dim out....    Your best bet, but more expensive,  is to set up a quick disconnect system in your saber.   Then you could swap out pre-made led "modules" as long as the voltage\resistor combo is right....   I make all my saber this way, as I like to tinker constantly...   Good luck...   ;D

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:53:11 AM »
It really all depends on what you are looking for.  Color discs are a cheap solution to the problem and you will get different colors.  They will not be as vivid and vibrant, think easter egg colors, and they won't be as bright.  Some people use "lee filters" instead of the color discs, which are better than the discs but still have the same inherent issues.  Filtering is "subtractive" whereas mixing is "additive".

Wiring an RGB really isn't all that difficult if you use the "Ultrasabers" method, not ideal but cheap and easy.  They use a switch for each color and if you press one switch you get the one color, two switches you get a mix of the two.

If you are still intimidated, Jin Ke's solution is another option.  Really no more of a pain than changing out color discs, but your colors will be much brighter.  Of course this is a more expensive option.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
  • The Leeroy Jenkins of the bidding wars
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 08:04:27 AM »
Actually i have a Graflex with a White Led, i use Lee filters because there is morr color selection but i also have some blue color discs.
To my experience, it depends on what you are going for, if you want a very bright saturated color, then go with a color led, there is no way you will get the same result with a gel, depending on the color you might sacrifice a lot of brightness and saturation.

Im extremely happy with my Graflex because i wanted it to look just like the original ANH saber, where the light is almost white but with a slight green-bluish hue. So a white led with a soft lee cyan works like a charm.

I havent tried any other colors other than blue or cyan, i have some vids comparing that i can post the link.

but if you like, tell me what colors you would like to see, and  ill make a video tonight and also show the light meter to check how much light is lost.

Cheers.

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:08 AM »
I'd actually be interesting in seeing this vid as well....  It would be nice to see just how much light is actually lost, depending on what gel/disc you use.... 

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:14:12 AM »
http://s912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/Juansith/?action=view&current=VID00195.mp4

The saber on top is the white led with a lee gel called 4360 Cyan.
It is a very light cyan, its not very saturated but with this one you have almost no loss of light.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:16:34 AM by Juansith »

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:16:40 AM »
Really, the bottom one looks much brighter to me and definitely more saturated :-\.

The RGBW 10W with the B&W actually is almost spot on for that original ANH color.  If you ever redo that saber, something to consider ;D.

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
True, that could  be an option, my main idea was to have a white saber, because when the film first came out it was white, and also the gels is an easy way to play with colors  ;).
As i said, i didnt care for saturation in this case, and in reality theres almost no light loss, so this is a very effective way if this is what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:28:45 AM by Juansith »

Offline Jin Ke

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 08:34:29 AM »
Im with Luminara, the bottom one is def brighter...  However, the top isn't bad for being filtered...   ;D      I've found that lighter colors such as the blue you tried, and yellow seem to lose the least....       As you said, its all on what your looking for...    Thanks for that vid... 

Offline EvilOttoJr

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »
As for comparing colors, Juansith, I'd like to see whatever colors you have, if you've got the time.

What exactly are Lee filters/gels? From what Google tells me it's some sort of camera lens thing but I can't get onto the Lee filters website for some reason...

Luminara, where might I find a wiring diagram for said Ultrasabers RGB? If I were to do that I'd definitely be using smaller switches, so it might not be too bad. Is it actually too much more difficult to set it up for a rotary switch or is it just as difficult as I've read? And what about mixing via rheostats or similar? That, I feel, would be the coolest way as I could have literally any color.

Jin Ke, I'll take your solution into consideration, but I'm just worried I'll end up losing/breaking the spare LED modules if I have to carry them on me, and also I'd have no color mixing.

Owner of 5 Luxeon Ultrasabers: Archon (green), Nemesis (blue), Elder (orange), and Tempest (red S-curve double blade that detaches into two hilts), and soon to build my own sink tube RGB Luxeon saber!

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
You can do any of the above.  The rotary switch is a bit of a pain though :D.  Using potentiometers, to me, is a very cool way to go but you have to have pots that won't allow your LED to get blown so there are some calculations involved.  The 3 switch set up is fairly simple, even for a novice. 

Offline Juansith

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »
The Rosco or Lee filters or gels are special  filters we use on film lights to either  correct a light color temperature or for a desired effect.
The gels are specially made to have contact with the light without burning.
You coule get a sample book like this:

And the gels.

I was doing some light reading comparing my P4 white vs the Lux blue.
The Lux blue gives me a reading of incident f 5.6 1/3 at highets brightness point and closest to the hilt.
P4 white gives me incident F8 1/2  at highest meaning the P4 is  30 percent brighter.

Now, when i add the Cyan 4330, the P4 white now gives a reading of F 5.6 2/3, meaning that it actually is 1/2 of a stop brighter than the Lux, even with the gel. I lost only half a stop. If i put a full Blue that takes a full F stop i would be around the same as the Lux, maybe less but bare in mind a Full Blue is a very saturated blue.
The gels take less light than the discs,the P4 with a blue disc is dimmer than the Lux.

This with batteries just charged and a diffused blade:
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac328/Juansith/46b19cab.jpg

As for comparing colors, Juansith, I'd like to see whatever colors you have, if you've got the time.

What exactly are Lee filters/gels? From what Google tells me it's some sort of camera lens thing but I can't get onto the Lee filters website for some reason...

Luminara, where might I find a wiring diagram for said Ultrasabers RGB? If I were to do that I'd definitely be using smaller switches, so it might not be too bad. Is it actually too much more difficult to set it up for a rotary switch or is it just as difficult as I've read? And what about mixing via rheostats or similar? That, I feel, would be the coolest way as I could have literally any color.

Jin Ke, I'll take your solution into consideration, but I'm just worried I'll end up losing/breaking the spare LED modules if I have to carry them on me, and also I'd have no color mixing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 02:34:11 PM by Juansith »

Offline EvilOttoJr

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
I'll have to think on this, thanks for the info everyone!

Anyone with anything to add, please feel free.

retrousse