fiduciary

Author Topic: Hyperblade for duells  (Read 4804 times)

Offline Vincent

• Experienced Force User
  • Unorthodox swordsman
Hyperblade for duells
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:36:20 AM »
Hey I know some of you are owning hyperblade sabers.
I'm intrested in upgrading my custom saber with a hyperblade system in the future but it's very important to me if it's possible to duel with hyperblade sabers?

Any experience? (Especially against non-component blades like Ultras)

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
Re: Hyperblade for duells
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
Jim (hyperdynelabs) and Mark (thedisturbance) advertise them as being just as strong as a non-component blade. Honestly, I haven't seen any reviews of how well they actually do stand up to dueling. I think everyone is afraid of breaking a $500 lightsaber. I can tell you that the Hyperblade can't ever be as strong as a non-component blade. You can literally wrap a non-component blade around a light pole 3 times before it breaks. If you did that with a Hyperblade, LEDs would break on the first swing. Just the fact of the matter.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:57:15 PM by DARTH TYRANUS »

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 10:39:25 AM »
Hi guys.  A Hyperblade will not break during a duel.  You guys can whack away at each other and you will not break an led.  If a short occurs in your blade (rare but possible) Jim can usually repair those very easily.

When it comes to trying to whack a blade against a tree as hard as you can, I can't say for sure because I've never done it ... and I wouldn't want too.  I also wouldn't understand someone who would want to ... I'm not quite sure what one gets out of that ... but I guess everyone is different.

Also just to clarify, I am not Mark (thedisturbance) and I do not work for Jim or Hyperdynelabs.  I do own products from Hyperdynelabs, and I do speak to Jim and Mark frequently and consider them both friends.  My name is Matthew Gulino and I typically go by the name Jedibum.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline OBI-WAN KENOBI

• Resident Negotiator
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • You don't want to sell me death sticks.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »
Agreed.  Besides, whacking a tree is not very environmentally friendly.  :)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:03:06 PM by OBI-WAN KENOBI »

Offline Vincent

• Experienced Force User
  • Unorthodox swordsman
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »
Hey guys I just two other question about the hyperblade system and I didn't want to start a new topic for them.

1. Do you need a blade thumb screw for securing the blade?

2. I read somewhere that you can see the gaps between the boards in the three board setup, anybody knows if that's true?

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:24:00 AM »
The reasion why you dont notice leds going out in a 3 led strip blade is cause theres 3 more sections of leds. So if you dont notice them poping its cause theres another led next to it. I would never duel with a component blade of any sort.

Offline Jedibum

• Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:45 PM »
Shadow - A thumb screw would be recommended, but it depends on your particular circumstance.  If you plan on agressively swinging the blade around or dueling with it / hitting it against objects, then I would recommend a thumb screw.  If the blade is a VERY tight fit in your blade holder AND you are not dueling with it, just using it for show and light play ... then you may not need one.

In the 3-piece blade board set up you may see 2 areas on the blade that appear to not be as bright as the rest of the blade (this greatly depends on how the blade was put together).  This is because each board is connected to the next board with wires ... however with the V2 blades Jim has been able to greatly minimize this problem.  And, if you choose the 1-piece blade board it is improved even further.

Alias - I appologize but I am confused by what you said.  Maybe you are referring to something other than the Hyperblade and that's why I am not understanding.  If an LED were to "pop" or go out on the Hyperblade it would be VERY noticable.  The LEDs on the blade are not next to each other.  They are on the board 1 at a time all the way to the top.  If one were to go out it would be extremely obvious.  As of yet, out of everyone I have met or sopken to that has a hyperblade no one has ever broken an LED due to dueling.  I myself have dueled with mine and had no problem.  And I have seen a Hyperblade destroy an MR saber and show no signs of problems.  I have seen a "short" occur that caused a series of LEDs to go out and that is usually simple for Jim to fix.  Now, I happen to agree with you ... I do not usually duel with my Hyperblade and I prefer not to ... but so far it has proven itself to be duel worthy.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 12:45:21 PM »
Alias - I think the way you described is like the three strips are next to each other inside the blade rather than end to end, which is the way they are set up from what I understand.

Was that what you meant?

Personally, I'd love a couple of Hyperdyne blades if the sound component that's being worked on at the mo is of a decent standard.

...although whether I could ever afford it is another matter  :D

Offline Jedibum

• Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 02:29:19 AM »
I hear ya, Sethski.  I have yet to see the new sound boards, but from what I understand they are pretty awesome.  And, of course, with more time and higher quality will mean a higher price point.
Amendment I

Seth Ski-Woo

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 11:38:13 AM »
I find with the lightsaber hobby that over time I'm willing to spend more on stuff. Which might be sortof bad  ;D

...so a Hyperdyne setup may well figure sometime in my future...

Offline Ultra

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 03:42:38 AM »
After seeing Hyper blades in person, I'm going to have to say that I doubt they will break from normal dueling. The main concern I heard voiced was the weight of the blade itself.  It's easily the heaviest saber blade currently available, I'd say twice as heavy as a thick walled polycarb blade.  Is there any talk of weight reduction in the Hyperdyne camp?

Offline Jedibum

• Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 10:20:19 PM »
Hi Ultra!  You are right, the blade is heavier than MR or Luxeon blades.  I'm not 100% sure but I know I haven't heard any talk about that and I would bet there probably isn't any going on at the moment. 

So far the priorities for the Hyperblade section of Hyperdyne Labs has been the new sound boards, and the new purple blades (Jim just posted a short video on his youtube page of the new purple if anyone wants to check it out ... hopefully these will be available to purchase soon).

I will definitely run it by Jim to see what he says about it.
Amendment I

retrousse