fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 39 (CS-39) Build  (Read 12193 times)

Offline Maim

• Padawan Learner
Re: QUI-GON JINN's Chrome Saber 39 (CS-39) Build
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
So after watching the build log I assume you only got a drill press but not a small mill that can move in x or y. Reason cause if your table moved you can feed like a 1/4 hss end mill feed it down at your start point set your y author 0.000 then feed the endmill.  From the pics I assume its around 2.5. This way all vents would be exactly the same quicker. Easier deburr has well.

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:15 PM »
Yes that's true (if you mean .250" for the slots).  Jay makes all of his shrouds by hand with the assistance of a drill press and a dremel tool.  Then lots of filing and polishing.  Its my opinion that he accomplishes ALOT for using only these tools.  The popularity of his designs speak to that.

I'm a machinist and yes, I would put the piece in the mill and mill the slots that way...but not everyone has access to a mill or the funds to justify the $500+ dollars needed to buy one.  I'm constantly impressed by Jay's designs and finished sabers and really-he's innovated almost an entirely unique method of building sabers that many on this forum either emulate or use as inspiration to further their own projects.

Since we all know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  ;) Carry on Jay, carry on.

Offline Maim

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2012, 05:10:32 PM »
Don't get me wrong I LOVE his work. I own his brass saber I belie ve number six. Was Just curious being a machinest it would cut build time away down and repeatably would be around.001. Been browsing to buy a tabletop cnc mill to create overlays on crystal chambers as well as various other ideas I got running thru my head ATM.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:38:53 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Maim

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22:58 PM »
As to the slot size yeah. 2500 but I was talking the movement in y. Probably more closer to 1.5 movement on the y axis. I will be using his work has inspiration has well has a double sided crystal chamber with custom overlays around the edges with some contour programming. Only problem is I wouldn't know how to set the inner electronics I'd have to beg qui gon to set it up ;D
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:39:16 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
So after watching the build log I assume you only got a drill press but not a small mill that can move in x or y. Reason cause if your table moved you can feed like a 1/4 hss end mill feed it down at your start point set your y author 0.000 then feed the endmill.  From the pics I assume its around 2.5. This way all vents would be exactly the same quicker. Easier deburr has well.

Yes that's true (if you mean .250" for the slots).  Jay makes all of his shrouds by hand with the assistance of a drill press and a dremel tool.  Then lots of filing and polishing.  Its my opinion that he accomplishes ALOT for using only these tools.  The popularity of his designs speak to that.

I'm a machinist and yes, I would put the piece in the mill and mill the slots that way...but not everyone has access to a mill or the funds to justify the $500+ dollars needed to buy one.  I'm constantly impressed by Jay's designs and finished sabers and really-he's innovated almost an entirely unique method of building sabers that many on this forum either emulate or use as inspiration to further their own projects.

Since we all know that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  ;) Carry on Jay, carry on.
This may surprise both of you,  but I actually was employed by a machine shop about 15 years ago. worked there for three years running,  wait for it....Manual milling machines so,  yes I know making the slots in a mill will make them much more accurate and perfectly shaped than doing them by hand will.  Would a mini-milling machine cost me a mere $500?  Not really.  Not once you factor in the costs of the machine,  the tooling required,  and the freight charges to get it all.  I'd probably be looking at more towards $900-$1200 for a good set up.  Believe me I've looked,  but really it comes down to one thing....do I build enough sabers to justify that kind of cost? No.  This is a hobby for me,  not a business,  and unless I had another use for a mill or lathe,  it's not something I'm interested in doing so I will continue to work with the drill press and the hand tools.  After all,  it only adds to the realism of the sabers being hand built by actually building them by hand. ;)

Offline DarthRaevus

• Master Force User
  • Friendly neighborhood machinist...
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
This may surprise both of you,  but I actually was employed by a machine shop about 15 years ago. worked there for three years running,  wait for it....Manual milling machines so,  yes I know making the slots in a mill will make them much more accurate and perfectly shaped than doing them by hand will.  Would a mini-milling machine cost me a mere $500?  Not really.  Not once you factor in the costs of the machine,  the tooling required,  and the freight charges to get it all.  I'd probably be looking at more towards $900-$1200 for a good set up.  Believe me I've looked,  but really it comes down to one thing....do I build enough sabers to justify that kind of cost? No.  This is a hobby for me,  not a business,  and unless I had another use for a mill or lathe,  it's not something I'm interested in doing so I will continue to work with the drill press and the hand tools.  After all,  it only adds to the realism of the sabers being hand built by actually building them by hand. ;)

haha, figures! you know too much about laying out lines and holes.  And yeah, I just threw $500 out there...you're right, it looks like they want over 800 for the nice one from little machine shop...and then there's tooling...ya gotta admit though-it would be nice to have a bridgeport wouldn't it?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:18:34 PM by DarthRaevus »

Offline RoHan Solo

• Force User
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
Had a meeting with a couple of my architecturally minded buddies today, typically they use CAD programs for designing airports and restaurants etc... I was talking to them about using their CAD design skills to design lightsabers. Initially they were making the usual jokes "you know, lightsabers aren't real mate..." but after I showed them the CS-39 build log and Jay's CS-39 video it is amazing how fast a bunch of early 40s dudes eyes lit up and started saying, "...and here I was thinking my life was complete... that is awesome... I NEED one of those!... maybe we need one each for the boardroom wall..."  ;D  :D

retrousse