fiduciary

Author Topic: Wiring HELP Please!  (Read 9270 times)

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Wiring HELP Please!
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
So I'm trying to get this saber I have to work with a new sound card. Short background story (I posted another thread on here about this thing): I got a replica graflex on ebay not too long ago, thinking it was only a shell... well it came with a Cyan LED luxeon type, an old Corbin LED driver, and graflex shop blade holder.

So I got some parts from an awesome smith here who's been super helpful thus far and am trying to get it to work.

The Corbin driver fires up the LED with Aux perfectly with a 4 AAA battery pack plugged into the tamiya connector that was already soldered to the Corbin driver.

But now that I've gone through the pains to carefully follow what I am interpreting the Hyperdyne Saber SD instructions and the wiring diagram I got I cannot get this thing to work.

I've got

- Hyperdyne Saber SD sound board

- The Convenience cable for the Saber SD

- Premium Speaker

- 2 Trustfire LION AAs (7.4V)

- the dual AA holder

The most I've got it to do with the Trustfires 7.4V pack is make the speaker crackle a little like static. IF the saber SD cable is plugged into the Sound board I cannot get the LED to fire.

IF I plug in the 4 AAA pack, it lights up just fine... but if I plug in the cable to the Saber SD board, the LED dies immediately. Take it out (while still using the 4 AAAs) and it works.

IF I plug in the 7.4 V directly into the tamiya connector soldered to the corbin driver, I get nothing. No LED fire. And after doing that and I plug in the saber SD cable now the speaker won't even crackle again.

I'm not sure what I'm missing... here's the diagram and then what I've done...

Anyone with ideas on what I'm missing????

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
Re: Wiring HELP Please!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:45 AM »
Update:

While I'm stupid and completely forgot the SD card needs to be in there (waiting on the newegg shipment), I still can't figure out why the 7.4v won't power the Corbin and LED alone?

What am I missing there?

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »
I've been exactly where you are a few years ago when I played around with a hyperboard.  I'll try and see if I can find anything useful to maybe help out picture wise later tonight, as I'm coming up blank in the memory banks on advice at the moment.  

what kind of switches are you using, momentary?  Have you tried latching?  Seem to recall getting both of them to work together was the biggest issue without using their other driver board.  I do remember using the ribbon cable from the hyperboard and cutting/splicing off that cable the additional components.  

EDIT

I think anything useful I may have saved was on a pc that crashed way back when, so that sucks.  However I found 2 diagrams that you could maybe compare to your setup and see how it fares.  Just replace your corbin board with puck/relay (depending on what pic you're lookin at) and you should be good. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:14:06 AM by Gil Gamesh »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:07:32 AM »
Thanks so much so far. Where an I view the pics?

I'll report back when I can see what I can find. I'm perplexed as to why even with the saber Sd out of mix, why won't the 7.4 v setup light up the led?????

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:27:05 AM »
oops, sorry, here's 2 links

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hyperdyne%20soundboard%20wiring/Evil-Henchman/SaberSD%20wiring/Aux_Flash_with_SaberSD_soundboard-LEDEngin_10W_RGGB_LED.jpg

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hyperdyne%20soundboard%20wiring/rotsman09/11HyperdyneBoard.png

If you've got the hyperboard out of there and nothing is connected to it and you're still not getting a response from the corbin board, I'd double check wiring and the pack, make sure it's fully charged.
Support our Font Makers!

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:43 PM »
ok I did some exprimenting and found a few things.

With power soldered to the Corbin... neither work reliably. The switches do nothing, etc. as before

I took the power off the corbin and the saber SD still has power, but the on/off switch does nothing.

I then desoldered the on/off switch from the corbin, and now the saber SD works perfectly. Sound, on/off swing, etc.  all good.

BUT, the aux doesn't do diddly squat. So I gotta retrace and figure out what I'm doing wrong there, or if the switch is dead... It was spotty when just on the corbin and that all worked, so that's a possibility. The only problem is I don't have another right now.

So... the corbin is the problem? Any clue what the problem is with its inclusion into the equation?

I have no problem ordering something to drive that LED as long as I know it'll work. You said a buckpuck, but which one? It would drive the LED?

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:22 PM »
I definitely remember being where you are now.  I honestly can't remember what I did, but I know the way I got it to work was simply trial and error.  You're definitely on the right track, as I mentioned earlier I remember it was the switch dilema.  a DPDT latching switch is what I THINK i wound up finding as the solution but I'm almost positive the issue is in the switch wiring. 

It sounds like the corbin board may be a momentary switch versus a latching possibly?  I know I tried momentary switch hookups to no avail but eventually got it setup working off a latching.  Sorry wish I was more helpful!
Support our Font Makers!

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 09:31:47 PM »
Would swapping out the corbin for the buckpuck fix that? If so I'll just sell the corbin to someone who can use it and get what I need. While I want to learn, I don't have the time or the ultimate patience to do 50 variations (exaggeration) of wiring setups. I only have so much hair to yank out. ^_^

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 09:45:07 PM »
I'll try and help, if I can. You will most definitely need a DPDT , IF your corbin driver is latching. What type of switch did you use to activate the corbin driver on its own?

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
It was one of these: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SPST-Momentary-tactile-switch-P261.aspx

Which worked. It was only much thicker and then I got a newer slimmer one like the one pictured from LDM which has four prongs vs two on the old one, and it worked with just the corbin by itself for a little while until the saber SD was wired up. Now that same switch works with the SAber SD, but the older fat one no longer works on the aux.

Ugh...

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 11:52:14 PM »
Assuming that 7.4V is enough to power the Saber SD and Corbin driver, and assuming both are setup for momentary configurations, It would have to be either a switch issue, OR a connector issue of some sort. I personally never use connectors, and do wire testing using alligator clips before I install. What my brain tells me you need is a DPDT Momentary. I was in the middle of doing a hyper Saber SD install a couple of years ago, it was hard to gather much info as it's sort of a "black sheep" board around here.

In your diagram you have 2 LED drivers, a Corbin AND a TCSS driver? Or do I need glasses  :D

Have you ever gotten any aux sounds out of the Saber SD ever? If not check your soundfont, I don't remember if the default one had any aux sounds, shrug.

May be there's a bad switch like you said. I have never played with any corbin/tcss driver. Just the Hyperblade.

Also, the speaker amp on the Saber SD is for 1W 4-32 Ohm speakers. Find a 4 Ohm 1W and you will have a crazy loud saber.

Take your time and triple check your wiring every time. Also, if you find yourself frustrated, put it all down and take a break. Don't rush it, and have fun. I'll try to help in whatever way I can.

Shane

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:25:24 PM »
Thanks Shane,

No the diagram was given to me, and my setup only has the Corbin, the Saber SD, the LED, the speaker, a single on/off, and a single aux.

I did play with the mode.txt file and got the aux to work finally, but it does work pretty oddly. It will work as it should 10 times in a row, and then the next time will shut the baord off and it won't come back on until I take a battery out and re-power up the card. Weird.

Right now I have an 8ohm 0.5 watt speaker (I think premium TCSS speaker) that I got fomr LDM and the thing is pretty darn loud so far. Granted I don't have anything tucked up in the graflex replica yet, but I test fitted the speaker housing with speaker in the base tube and it was painful to listen to it was so loud at close range.

Right now I'm waiting on a few parts from LDM and I will re-attempt to get this thing firing the LED and working all together. I might not use the corbin in the end, we'll see.

I'm still not quite sure what exactly a DPDT is, or stands for, and can't seem to find an explanation... can you fill me in???

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

Offline Subvirtua

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:59 PM »
double pole, double throw.

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »
Thanks Shane,

No the diagram was given to me, and my setup only has the Corbin, the Saber SD, the LED, the speaker, a single on/off, and a single aux.

I did play with the mode.txt file and got the aux to work finally, but it does work pretty oddly. It will work as it should 10 times in a row, and then the next time will shut the baord off and it won't come back on until I take a battery out and re-power up the card. Weird.

Right now I have an 8ohm 0.5 watt speaker (I think premium TCSS speaker) that I got fomr LDM and the thing is pretty darn loud so far. Granted I don't have anything tucked up in the graflex replica yet, but I test fitted the speaker housing with speaker in the base tube and it was painful to listen to it was so loud at close range.

Right now I'm waiting on a few parts from LDM and I will re-attempt to get this thing firing the LED and working all together. I might not use the corbin in the end, we'll see.

I'm still not quite sure what exactly a DPDT is, or stands for, and can't seem to find an explanation... can you fill me in???

Double Pole Double Throw... ah nevermind lol. check this out it will explain it better then I can

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch

Also, check the sequence you have the mode.txt set to on the aux sounds. Set it to random or something maybe the sequence you have it set to isn't matching the number of sounds you have saved on the card causing it to flip out on you.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
Ok so I got in a core pulse simliar to a buckpuck to replace the corbin, and a new Cree Blue LED (didn't like the Cyan) in from LDM to use with this.

Well, I got he LED working perfectly, but since I already had the one switch wired up I tried to use it, and it only momentarily has an effect (hence I assume the reason it is called a momentary switch). I have a couple of other switches and one I think is a six prong DPDT but they're all too large to be used on this graflex, all except the tiny grey ones, but their buttons are flush and I'm not sure how I'd trigger it... that is IF they are the right thing I need.

Here's what I have wired up now, and the others I have to use for now:

other switches I have, but none but the tiny flush grey ones would fit:

Also, everything was working sort of... but when I got everything clipped together to test the switches (I use alligator clips now), I couldn't get the switch to function correctly, so I switched the leads to the battery to see if I had crossed them backwards. Then the Saber SD board didn't like it, and now I get no power on LEDs on the board. I can hear static from the speaker, so I know power is flowing... but nothing.

I'm hoping it has something to do with battery power level and I'm recharging the trustfires now and will check again later...

but do you think I screwed something up or killed the board? I checked and re-checked all my connections, testing 4-5 times, and all are good power wise...

I can't figure out why that now I cannot get the board to work at all (hoping battery).

.... ????????

MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka

retrousse