fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber26 (BS-26) Build for Master Valon  (Read 14031 times)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
Re: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber26 (BS-26) Build for Master Valon
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
I was just curious if you had used them before.  I'll be interested to see what you think.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
I won't know that until they get,  unfortunately.  I'll try one out in one of my own sabers first,  though.  CS-X had a battery cell decide to leak,  which required a complete tear down to fix and I'll likely have it ready for a new speaker by the time these arrive.  I may install one of the other CF5.1's in it too,  while it's apart.

In the meantime,  I have been adding wire leads and smd resistors to the cFv5.1 for this saber,  and it is nearly ready to mount to the half-chassis.

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 12:54:49 PM »
Oh, that reminds me! TCSS just got a new speaker in, I don't know if you saw it Jay. Here it is:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2w-bass-speaker-P662.aspx

I'm not saying to use it on any builds or anything, just thought you might be interested if you were in the market for some used droids! lol
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 01:41:40 PM »
Oh, that reminds me! TCSS just got a new speaker in, I don't know if you saw it Jay. Here it is:

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/2w-bass-speaker-P662.aspx

I'm not saying to use it on any builds or anything, just thought you might be interested if you were in the market for some used droids! lol
I have a couple of those on hand already,  but they do not fit the speaker and battery set up we're using for this saber.  I could fit one in there,  but then we'd have to switch it over to a fully rechargeable set up and you'd have to charge it after the battery pack runs down,  which is not ideal for trooping with the Rebel Legion.  A 14650 7.4 volt pack will fit in this saber just fine,  and could be fitted with a QD plug to allow for changing to another 14650 pack while at an event.  It would be much more expensive,  though.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:53:02 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 02:52:39 PM »
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting you to use them on my build, what we agreed on is just fine!

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 05:04:08 PM »
Here's the CF getting wired up:

Mounted to the half-chassis:

It fits in the rear hilt like this:

There's plenty of wire to add the speaker when it arrives:

I could get all of this wired up:

But I think that's enough for today on this one.  I have a Mace Windu FX to convert that will be in the Trade Federation tomorrow,  and also CS-X to work on.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:06:02 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »
Yay! Thanks for starting on it right away! "Sometime this week".... hah!  :D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
Yay! Thanks for starting on it right away! "Sometime this week".... hah!  :D
Well,  today was "sometime this week",  right?   ;)  :D  The sad thing is,  if I had the correct speaker,  I could have had it finished today.  I guess I'll have to finish off the other little things I can do in the meantime while I await the new speaker I ordered.  I still need to cut the chrome grille for the pommel insert and make up the blade.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:39:09 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
Oh, wow! So you think that once you get the speaker, the rest of the wiring will only take you like a day or so? That's fantastic, Jay! I can't wait to see this beaut in person.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2011, 07:57:24 PM »
Actually,  the rest of the wiring is just about done.  Except for one little detail....read on!

I had some free time today to work on it, and got the switch wired up:

I temp-wired the new mega-bass speaker I plan to install in my own saber,  CS-X:

Added some Trustfire Li-Ion batteries

Pulled the kill key and booted it up:

I pushed the activation button:

Well,  that speaker is LOUD.

After some tweaks to the SD card to change a few minor setting in the config files,  I found I had a problem with it.  The switch quit working....I tried soldering to the other set of terminals on it,  and it still didn't work,  although the led lit up just fine.  I've never had one of these switches quit working like that.  

After double checking the wiring,  I changed the switch back out for the green dot SPST and it worked just fine.  

The shorter switch will put less strain on the wires anyway,  so I think we'll have to go with this one.  I know you wanted the ring style,  Master Valon,  but the last two I got from TCSS wouldn't fit in this box for some reason.  I think you'll like the trade off I'm planning,  though.  ;)

I shot a short video to show how it sounds so far:

I wanted show how it might sound in the saber,  so I put it in an MHS sinktube adapter I have,  and put on the pommel:

This was loud enough that the impacts,  power on and power off actually hurt my ears!  This really sounds too good not to use it,  but it wasn't what we had decided upon,  so I took it off and got the rest of the saber together.  

This is where another problem reared it's ugly head...The battery holder/speaker assembly is just a tad too long,  and was pushing against the recharge port,  making it difficult to install the pommel.  From past experience,  I think it would be best to avoid that,  especially since this is going to have to have it's batteries changed often.  To get around this,  I will make the saber use a pair of 7.4 volt rechargeable packs that I'll make from these:

I'll add QD plugs to both packs so they can be swapped out.  

I made up a speaker assembly using another of the mega-bass speakers:

You can also see there the QD for the battery pack.  It's the same locking type I usually use for blade led's.

Here's a shot at the speaker assembly inside the actual saber:

I made up a test battery holder for this set up and plugged it in:

Added a blade,  pulled the kill key,  and started it up:

Not too shabby!  

I'll need to get the batteries charged before making the packs and will do that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:10:00 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
Not too shabby, indeed, Master Jay! I, once again, will say how blown away I am at this saber. That video was so loud, I thought I had blown the speakers on my computer! ;D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
I did the final touches on this one this morning.  This saber is pretty well finished.  The blade retention screw has been drilled and tapped:

I also cut the speaker grille and installed it in the pommel:

Done:

I also finished one of the battery packs last night,  and a test pack made from the 14500's I took from CS-X to ensure it'll work.  I will not include the used battery pack, but will make up another brand new pack using the greenish colored batteries seen here:

The new pack is in the saber already.  These will be 7.4v,  800mAh each.  The loose recharge port is an adapter that can be used to charge the packs out of the saber....I may still cjhange that to a difffernt type though.  I'll need to look through my parts to see what I have.  The charger this will come with is like this one here:

I'll also include the adapter wire from TCSS.

All that's left now is font and feature selection for the SD card. 

Final Pics coming later today. ;)

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
*Squeal* This is so fantastic Jay! It came out better than I could have possibly imagined. So, as far as charging goes, I can either charge in hilt if I'm just chillin' at home, or I can take the pack out and with that adaptor, charge the pack out of hilt, or on a troop, just swap the pack out for the replacement one?

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 11:48:51 AM »
*Squeal* This is so fantastic Jay! It came out better than I could have possibly imagined. So, as far as charging goes, I can either charge in hilt if I'm just chillin' at home, or I can take the pack out and with that adaptor, charge the pack out of hilt, or on a troop, just swap the pack out for the replacement one?
Yup.  I thought it would be helpful if you're at a troop to be able to charge the depleted pack while you're still troopoing.  It might take a couple of hours to charge,  though....maybe less.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
This is a great setup for those that troop.  Trooping needs a removable battery solution and you have both.  That's perfection.  ;D

retrousse