fiduciary

Author Topic: what ever happend to goodman?  (Read 26916 times)

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
Re: what ever happend to goodman?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »
This is interesting....
On a side note, I find it very notable that instead of anger, a lot of sadness is being shown at his leaving.

That is because the people that got taken has already let their anger out and really would rather just forget about it than get angry all over again.  Several has just written the money off.  I know I have.

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2011, 06:16:45 AM »
Some of us are playing nice and hiding our anger.
I intend to see criminal charges filed, if he turns up again.

/turns stove down to simmer .:.:.:.:.:.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
This is interesting....
On a side note, I find it very notable that instead of anger, a lot of sadness is being shown at his leaving.

As for me, I can be only sad because I got what I paid for.
This said, I can understand the other people here in the forums that had business with him and got nothing.  :-\

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2011, 08:48:53 AM »
i just cant understand why hes done it he had a great reputation and was a highly respected forum member hes even completed peoples orders (salvators etc)
it just doesnt make sense to completely dissapear
something has had to have happend... i mean is the guy alive??
he has an address right, someone is bound to know him on here personally

it makes me feel really suspicious now about sending large sums of money off on "projects"

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
  • I once wore the robes...
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
Has anyone actually met this guy in person? If so, then maybe the authorities could be contacted and a sketch made of his face could get made. Might help in tracking him down...just a suggestion.
Member of the Lost 10

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2011, 09:57:22 AM »
Addresses do not pan out.  Cell phones are registered to other people.  Believe me, a lot of people have tried to track down John Goodman Enos.  Short of harrassing possible family members, he has disappeared off the face of the earth and, all contacts we had for him were in other people's names.  It is a strange situation.

Yes, there is a lot of sadness as well as feelings of anger and betrayal.  Then there is also the very real financial loss some of us have had to deal with. 

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 10:00:59 AM »
i just cant understand why hes done it he had a great reputation and was a highly respected forum member hes even completed peoples orders (salvators etc)
it just doesnt make sense to completely dissapear
something has had to have happend... i mean is the guy alive??
he has an address right, someone is bound to know him on here personally

it makes me feel really suspicious now about sending large sums of money off on "projects"

Quit feeling sorry for Goodman.  He is a crook.

He has an email address.  Repeated emails sent by many parties always go unanswered.
He has a phone number.  Repeated calls to it by many parties always go unanswered.
He has an address.  I have had a California Sherriff's Deputy with the robbery division look into it and there is another tenant living at that address and the landlord has no recolection of a John Goodman living at that apartment.
Tracing his phone number leads to a different person in another state.
Records searches with his name yeild little usefull information.

Trust me, members of JSSDC have spent quite a bit of time looking for him.   By my math, I estimate John has taken members of JSSDC for over 10,000 dollars.  Now, adding in what we are finding out was lost by FX-SABERs members, that number could likely double. 

Now, as to you feeling suspicious about sending money to other forum members.  That is something you will have to deal with and educate yourself about.  You will have to look at that person's 'track record' and see if you are willing to take the gamble that your deposit/payment will yield the product you wanted.  I have been a member of FX-SABERS for many years - my feedback thread is populated with high feedback scores from all the satisfied customers I have had.  I would hope people feel safe dealing with me.  Now, if I was a new member who post-whored my way into the Trade Federation section and posted a run thread and started asking for huge somes of money via deposits, I would like to think people would step back and ask what the risk might be in dealing with me.  In the end, it's your decision.  Will this happen again?  Who knows.  We all thought John was a good guy.  He was active on many forums, posted pictures of his work, and had a good following of members who liked his work.  Then something happen and he really hurt a lot of members of the community.  All you can do is trust your gut when you deal with forum members.

Offline Jedi Exile

• Experienced Force User
  • I once wore the robes...
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:40 AM »
Agreed, at this point I think it's pretty safe to not feel one bit sorry for this guy. I had NO idea that any of this was going on, I like many others, just happened to notice that he wasn't around anymore. Glad I wasn't the one who started asking about him first, because I thought to do so from time to time.

From what I've read, it seems to me at least, that this was something premeditated and highly planned for. After being the saber hobby for a while, he probably saw great potential to scam people out of their money, so...

1. Establish fake phone numbers and addresses accordingly to keep from being tracked down. *Check*

2. Make up a personal life that would take away suspicion from being gone weeks/months at a time. *Check*

3. Use fame and recognition in the saber community to gain many followers and potential clients. *Check*

4. Make build logs for clients and actually complete a few transactions to further gain trust. *Check*

5. Post clear build log to take on as many orders as possible. *Check*

6. Take as many orders and money from clients as possible during time allotted. *Check*

7. Disappear, enjoy the fruits of my labors (All the mad money I stole) and plan my next scam. *Check!*

Maybe it didn't happen quite like that, but it certainly seems that this whole thing was either premeditated from the beginning or at some point after entering the hobby.
Member of the Lost 10

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »
Well, the phone numbers and emails worked at one time.  Many of us had email correspondence with John and several of us had phone conversations with him.  The address also had to be real.  I know I sent him two or three packages.  I am sure everyone who sent him something used the same address (an apartment in Santa Monica).  Could be the apartment was in someone else's name and he was just living there.  At first, I was hoping it was just that he was really stuck in China on business as he claimed.  But when he started using the excuse he was in the rural parts of China and internet access was very limited that I started to suspect something.  He maintained he was an investment banker.  How would he be able to do his job investing without internet access?  I doubt very seriously that he was using carrier pigeons.  After my emails and phone calls stopped being returned, I started to feel used.  The more I thought about it, the more I become convinced I (and others) had become victims of 'the long con'.  I don't know if that was his original intent by joining the community or if he just found a way he could make some fast money.  Doesn't really matter now anyways.  He left the community with a lot of other people's money and property.

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
nah i dont feel sorry for goodman at all... far from it
its the people who has lost out big time i feel for i count myself lucky as i was planning on doing buisness with goodman some time based on his work logs

its just i cant beleive hed do this thats all and i am genuinly shocked and also at the fact that this has been kept so quiet iv been on here for yrs and new nothing of this
all the people i have done buisness with on here has been based on exactly the same format goodmad used (post pics, pms sent, deal made, money sent, goods arrived)
i have to admit i almost went through with sending goodman a few hundered £££ worth of hilts for conversion a while ago

dont get me wrong wat tambor i am shocked saddend and angry for whats happend
but i guess we can learn from it

i was actually awaiting goodmans return so i could do buisness with him.... man would i have been the biggest idiot!!!
at least this thread has highlighted the subject so everyone knows about it now

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
So... can we please lock this thread now?  I believe it has run its' course...

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
Actually it will stay open, in case someone has news to report. I will be moving it to the inactive manufactures area shortly.

Since the damage on this goes farther than JSSDC, it should be a cautionary tale. Perhaps he would not have gotten so many if we had shared info a little sooner.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »
 Perhaps he would not have gotten so many if we had shared info a little sooner.
[/quote]

nailed it

OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Salvatore1971

• Master Force User
  • "Yes, I know, I have a toupée on my head!"
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2011, 12:21:55 AM »
In light of what you wrote and I learned here in this thread, I'm obliged to correct and clarify my position.

I'm not really sorry for Goodman himself, but for the whole situation. It's always sad to be betrayed by someone you considered a good and honest person.  :-\

In addition, now I realize there's a huge money loss in this nasty business.  :(

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  :-[

I'm Italian. Sorry in advance for my bad english! :D

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
Has anyone actually met this guy in person? If so, then maybe the authorities could be contacted and a sketch made of his face could get made. Might help in tracking him down...just a suggestion.

I did meet him once, two years ago when I visited the LA Jedi (he spent some time with them for a bit in 2009). I only spent about two hours with the group teaching them, so I didn't have too much interaction with him.

However at the end of the class when we took some group photos, he did pull his beanie over his face for every shot we took. Otherwise, I would have a clear photo of him.

Maybe I can contact some of my LA saber peeps who hung with him a bit more and see if they have any more pics. (not sure how much good it can do but I can certainly try).

EDIT: I just received a message from one of my friends that I contacted after explaining why I was wanting pics.

Hm- that explains a lot.
He always refused to show his face in pics.
He pulled his beanie down over his entire face for all the group pics.
I see now there was a reason.
You know what?
I never liked that guy.

And there you go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:24:27 AM by Caine »

retrousse