fiduciary

Author Topic: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash  (Read 20283 times)

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Hi all.  A member here by the name of yossh made a saber with a SaberSD sound board and a LEDEngin 10W RGGB LED that utilized a flash of light from the blade, occurring upon a clash of the blade (for the rest of this post I will refer to that feature as "Auxiliary Flash" or "aux flash" for short).  He was nice enough to post a wiring diagram for that setup.  For that I thank him as without it, I wouldn't have a clue on how to make it all work.

Anywho, being a wiring noob I tested yossh's wiring diagram (as is) for aux flash, using a LEDEngin 10W LED and a SaberSD board and found out this... it's wrong (no offense intended yossh).  It took me awhile to figure it all out and get everything working but I did and I have an updated wiring diagram to share with everyone.  I definitely got my feet wet wiring this bad boy up.  Here's a link to the original diagram...

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j473/Yossh55/SaberSD-.jpg

Here's my changed version of the diagram (pic is clickable)...

I corrected the polarity colors for the wires connecting the DPDT 5V relay to the vibration moter pads (the DPDT 5V relay does not have polarity but I made the change anyways as the pads do have polarity), moved the blue wire for the deflection switch to the proper lead on the soundboard, removed the green wire splitting near the LED that originally connected to both negative leads (now it only connects to the negative for the two main die), changed the yellow wire turning to purple that connects to the aux flash negative LEDs to all yellow, removed the jumpered positive line on the LED that connected the main dies with the aux flash dies and seperated them into two wires coming off of the LED, connected a purple "wire" from lead 4 to lead 11 on the DPDT 5V relay, added a 1 Ohm resistor to both the main LED positive and aux flash positive wires and changed and added some text descriptions.

Here are some pics from the SaberSD PDF manual that show what each lead/pad is for...

Note:  The "clash output signal" lead on the soundboard is NOT used.  That is for the Hyberblade driver unit that drives the Hyperblade LED string.

Normally for the Red and Blue dies that are wired in series for aux flash, you would want to use a 2 or 2.2 Ohm resistor on the aux flash positive wire.  However since they are not on for very long (they are only on when a clash is triggered) a 1 Ohm resistor should suffice.

For this particular setup, the settings for the vibration motor pads in the mode.txt file should be as follows...

vibenabled=1;
vibclashinten=0;
vibswinginten=43;
vibhuminten=43;
viboninten=43;
vibwhilehum=1;

The main LEDs and the aux flash LEDs work great.  The only problem is the deflection feature.  When activated by a seperate momentary button, the proper sound plays and the two aux flash LEDs come on... but then they stay on until a swing or clash sound is activated the normal way.  This happens everytime when using deflection.  This can also sometimes occur during normal aux flash usage (same fixes apply).  The purple wire I added on the relay does not affect this issue as I tried it both with and without it so my fix is not the issue, lol.  Anywho, just thought I'd share this with everyone.

EDIT:  I updated the diagram again as it needed more changes.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:11:16 PM by ARKM »

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
Re: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:45:52 PM »
Here's another way to wire it all up that achieves the same results.  The benefit of doing it this way is that you only need an SPST 5V relay instead of a DPDT.  Of course you can still use a DPDT relay and just not use one side of it (as in the diagram below).

NOTE:  The vibration motor settings in the mode.txt file need to be changed for this setup in order for it to work properly.  Also, the aux flash LED dies do not light up when using the deflection button when wired this way.  Since the aux flash LEDs do not shut off properly when using the deflection button in the previous wiring setup, this should not be an issue as deflection really can't be used either way... at least for lighting effect.

Here's the diagram...

For this particular setup, the settings for the vibration motor pads in the mode.txt file should be as follows...

vibenabled=1;
vibclashinten=43;
vibswinginten=0;
vibhuminten=0;
viboninten=0;
vibwhilehum=0;
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:11:53 PM by ARKM »

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
Re: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Flash on Clash
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:48:38 AM »
Hey dude. Im dying to try this since I have two.... I was planning on using one for when he restocks LED blades and the other for a corbin driver but it seems like it wont be anytime soon that he'll restock. Anyway I might try this also so thank you for showing this. BTW how do you get the lockup sound? All I can get is the blaster deflect sound but not blade lockup. I saw this with Yosh's video and was just wondering if you can get that also. Hey once again thanks man!!

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »
Hey dude. Im dying to try this since I have two.... I was planning on using one for when he restocks LED blades and the other for a corbin driver but it seems like it wont be anytime soon that he'll restock. Anyway I might try this also so thank you for showing this. BTW how do you get the lockup sound? All I can get is the blaster deflect sound but not blade lockup. I saw this with Yosh's video and was just wondering if you can get that also. Hey once again thanks man!!

Your welcome.  I'm glad someone besides me can make use of this.

The reason the deflection sounds sound like clash sounds is that the stock deflection files are practically the same as the clash files.  I noticed that too so I played the deflection wav files on my PC to check them and noticed that they are really just clash sounds.  Sadly, there is only one font template on the CD that has deflection sounds.  As such, your best bet would be to acquire some true blaster deflection or blade lockup sounds on your own from ripping sounds from one of the many PC Star Wars games or from buying a Novastar CD and changing the appropriate sound files from RAW to WAV.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:12:15 PM by ARKM »

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
Wonderful, thanks for sharing this info and the diagrams.
This will come in very handy if I decide to do this with a Saber SD in the future. Thanks for doing all the grunt work! :D

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:18:50 PM »
Your welcome.

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you use a different LED or different voltage battery pack, the resistors must be updated accordingly.

Also, if you want to reduce the voltage going to the LED by a lot without using a lower voltage battery pack, Do-Clo mentioned that a good way to do that is to use diodes to step it down as it causes less heat than a voltage regulator.  With the RGGB, there is no need to reduce the voltage as both of the GG dies wired in series normally require 8.4V and they are only getting 7.4. with the above setup.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:12:34 PM by ARKM »

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »
very handy that..
would it be possible to do a diagram of just a simple single led set up with out foc?
just battery main led etc and which wires go where?

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
With both of the wiring setups I previously posted, the main and aux flash LED dies are being driven straight from the battery pack.  The relay is only there to allow aux flash to work.

If you are using a single LED with no aux flash, you can use the second diagram.  Just remove the relay, remove both yellow wires, remove the wires leading from the vibration motor pads to the relay (unless you want to connect those wires to a vibration motor) and remove the aux flash positive wire from the LED (which removes the aux flash positive resistor as well).  Obviously the LED would look different and have less pads to solder to.  As such, the two little red wires you see on the LED itself would also be gone as they are just there to each wire two of the four dies in series.

The vibration motor pad settings in the mode.txt file would then not matter what they are set to unless you connected a vibration motor to it.

Alternatively you can run a low current main LED off of the vibration motor pads.  You would have to use the vibration motor settings that are for the first wiring diagram but change some of them in the mode.txt file to put out the proper amount of voltage that the LED requires.  However... the driving transistor for those pads is only rated at 600mA and most low powered LEDs have 700mA as the recommended current.  The pads can probably output 700mA but it will probably shorten the lifespan of the vibration motor pads driving transistor.  As such, you may want to use a resistor that will lower the mA to 600.  However doing it this way means that you are underdrivng the LED and as such, it will not be as bright.  The upside to doing this is that you can now use a SPST momentary switch instead of a DPDT latching switch to turn the saber on, if you so choose.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:12:49 PM by ARKM »

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
Sorry to necropost... just wondering if anyone's tried this yet.

I know the SaberSD has a clash output lead.
To me, when I saw this, I thought of the clash output pad on the CFV5 that I just finished wiring up.

My question is this - did anyone try wiring up the clash output to a powerextender to see if that would work for FoC?

Thanks,
-C

EDIT:

YES IT WORKS!!!
So, the clash output lead goes into Erv's powerextender just like it would for a CF card (which kinda makes sense since it's basically a transistor)

This is cool cause it now allows you to use an LED driver (i.e. the TCSS one) to get your blade flicker effect, and also frees up the motor pads for use with a vibration motor or other low current accessory ;)

I'll post up a vid to prove it in a few minutes...

EDIT2:  video link (click on image):

Ok sorry I think I need to increase the sensitivity settings of the board later, but at least you get the idea.
It's a brief flash, but it works great so far (I've got it hooked up to two dice on that LED)

-C
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:12:17 PM by cannibal869 »

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 07:47:22 PM »
Hey thats cool beens! Please keep us posted. I have all the parts but babysitting comes first  :)
Okay would this only be for the clash you think? Or for the deflect and lock up also? Thank you sir!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:59:56 PM by dj2rbo »

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
Cannibal, NICE!  I happen to have one of Erv's power extenders.  I'll have to play around with this one of these days  Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:13:03 PM by ARKM »

Offline cannibal869

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:21:39 AM »
Thanks!
The cool thing is this: I had the SaberSD board powered by two Li-Ion 14500's and the clash to powerextender circuit was hooked up to two dice on a 10W LEDEngin Amber LED.   Clash Flash was bright! :D

wiring diagram of what I'm talking about FYI

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 09:24:51 AM by cannibal869 »

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 10:44:27 AM »
Very cool.

Hmm.  That got me to thinking. I wonder if the 5V relay used in yossh's/my method can be activated by the clash output lead and work the same way it does when connected to the vibration motor pads.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:13:38 PM by ARKM »

Offline cannibal869

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
Very cool.

Hmm.  That got me to thinking. I wonder if the 5V relay used in yossh's/my method can be activated by the clash output lead and work the same way it does when connected to the vibration motor pads.

If I'm not mistaken, and if I'm interpreting your diagram correctly, you're basically using the 5V relay to direct drive the main blade LED during normal use AND do the FoC thing, right?

I mean you can achieve the same thing by using your DPDT switch - one side activates the board and the other turns on the main blade LED as a direct drive.  Wire the Clash circuit directly to the FoC LEDs as above with the powerextender (or transistor).   As far as I can tell, the powerextender really is just a transistor anyway....  And if you use the powerextender, then you no longer really need the relay (saves some physical in-hilt space).

The only real advantage of using the powerextender is that it allows you to drive the main LED with something like the TCSS LED driver so that you get the gradual on and off as well as blade flicker effects.  It also frees up the motor pads so you can also get the vibration effect if you have a small motor.

The other cool thing is that you don't actually need to resistor the FoC LEDs if you use two dice off of a 10W LED... since the driving voltage for that should be "close enough" to the 7.4V battery pack that it won't make a long term difference, especially since the clash effect only lasts for like a second.   (you might still want to though if you want to save the 10+ extra hours of LED life  ;) )

-C
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:15:58 PM by cannibal869 »

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
In my first wiring diagram, the main LEDs negative goes through the relay so in that case yes.  However in my second more competent diagram, the main LEDs negative does not go through the relay, only the aux flash LEDs negative does.  Therefore in the second diagram, the main LEDs and the board are being activated by the DPDT switch as you just suggested.

The only reason I stated that I wonder if the relay can run off the clash wire and the battery pack negative is this... what if I didn't have a power extender?  What if someone else can make use of wiring it that way using a relay so that they can now use a vibration motor as well?

As far as resistoring LEDs when the voltage needed to run them is the same as what the LED/s require... I did that in my diagrams to regulate current in case of a current spike, not to lower voltage.  Better safe than sorry.  Also I didn't want more experienced forum members coming down on me for not including resistors on the LEDs.  ;)  From what I read on the net, unless you are providing less voltage than what the LED is rated at for normal usage, it's always a good idea to use a resistor.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:13:50 PM by ARKM »

retrousse