fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 12 (BS-12) Build for Khrysaor  (Read 13130 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
QUI-GON JINN's Brass Saber 12 (BS-12) Build for Khrysaor
« on: January 26, 2009, 04:28:10 PM »
This topic will follow the build process for a saber I call Brass Saber #12...it is the 12th one I've built that has brass tubing for sleeves or parts of the hilt.  This is being built for FX-Sabers member Khrysaor's son,  and looks like it should be nice one!

It will consist of a style 8 blade holder,  a ribbed extension,  a 5" double threaded female extension and an MPS pommel style 3 v2,  with insert style 6. It will run an Ultrasound 2.1 (after they come back from programming,  of course),  2 Li-Ion Trustfire batteries,   a premium speaker,  and will have a green Lux V to light up an Ultrasabers UltraEdge blade.  It will also feature some powder coated parts!  Here's what I'll start with:  

The blade holder was pc'd up to the top of the neck...it looks good like that!
Tim also did the ribbed extension,  and the double threaded female,  too.  I plan on using the brass tube to create a sleeve for the saber,  but I have something else in mind for the rear grip than the usual scribe lines from my tubing cutter.  more on that when I get to that point!

The first thing to do was cut the brass tube to length.  I'll use a metal cut-off blade on my compound miter saw for that.  I started by removing the flange on the tube:

Now to cut it to the proper length:

I decided to do my usual angled cut on the end,  and set the blade angle to 22.5deg. and cut the tube:

I cut this nice and slow,  with out forcing the blade through it,  so there are no burns on the tube.  

Yeah,  that'll do!  Next step,  cutting the grip window!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:54:58 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: QUI-GON-JINN's Brass Saber #12 (BS-12) Build for Khrysaor
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
That is gonna be sa-weeeet,

ya know, ....I kinda like the burned edge look on some of the previous ones, ...it may have been accidental, but it was cool looking.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:18:15 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:46:09 PM »
Yeah,  the burned edge looked great on bS-8, didn't it?  This one won't be close enough to the emitter for the look to really work,  I'm afraid.

So the next thing to do is de-burr it:

I'll use an 120-grit sanding drum on my rotary tool to start with.  I started with the angled cut first,  and made sure to get all of the edges:

Done:

I flipped it around and did the other end as well:

Next,  I hit by hand with a piece on 220 grit paper:

Smooooth!!

Just a quick check of the length:

And I was ready to start on the grip window for the ribbed extension:

I put on the pattern that I made a while ago,  and took it to the vise....
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:18:31 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:47:15 PM »
That's one lucky kid. Can't wait to see more! I love watching your build threads!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:18:46 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
Okay,  with the part secured in the vise,  and the pattern line up where I wanted it,  it was time to start cutting!  I'll be using a heavy-duty reinforced cut-off wheel to do the cutting: 

when I do this,  I always cut about 1/16th of an inch above the pattern...that way i have some extra material to work with if I don't get a very straight cut.  Take it slow,  and move the cutter in the direction it's spinning,  as this will make it easier to control:

I start with the shortest cuts first....for no particular reason,  I guess....I do the longer cuts on the sides next:

I rotated it in the vise a bit to do the other side:

I made sure to stop short of the corners,  because I want rounded,  radiused corners....i'll use the cut-off wheel to remove the extra piece by cutting across the corners:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o141/Jay-gon_Jinn/Brass%20Saber%2012/5eb2bc80.jpg
Be careful not to go too far with these cuts...you don't want to get into the edges and leave a nick that you can't get out later.  After you do all of the corners,  it will fall right out:

I used the cutting wheel to remove some more of the excess material from the corners:

Here's a better view:

I did all four corners,  and then changed the cutting wheel out for the sanding drum!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:19:00 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 05:33:13 PM »
With the sanding drum,  I can get a near-perfect radius in the corners:

I make sure to use a slow oscillating movement when doing this to spread out the wear on the sanding drum.  Take your time and don't force it,  or you may have the sanding drum junp out of the window and skitter across the tube...I know,  I had that happen to me when I did the tube for my BS-2 saber.

When you're done,  it'll look like this:

Ta-Daaa!  a nice,  radiused corner!  I did the other three and put away the rotary tool for now.  To square up the straight cuts,  I prefer to use a hand file:

You'll have a bit more control over how much material you remove this way,  as opposed to using the sanding drum on the rotary tool.  I did all four edges:

And then smoothed them out some more by hand with some 220-grit sandpaper:

Now to test fit it and make sure it all looks good:

I looked it over,  and it needed a bit more straigthening out.  I did it by hand again,  to be sure not to take off too much.  Here's the finished window:

So,  with all of that done,  I need to do something with the back of the hilt....now,   I had TCSS powder coat the 5" extension for a reason...I had planned to do a second window to give the saber the look of having a rear grip like this:

But now that I've thought about it,  I think I have a better idea....I was thinking it might look cool with brass rings for the rear grips...something like this:

I can cut off the sleeve about 1 1/2" below the front grip window,  and then cut it into 1/2" sections or maybe even 3/8" sections,  and then secure them to the saber using brass socket head screws:

What say you,  Khrysaor?  A second grip window,  or the brass rings?  I might be able to also cut two 1" wide grip windows,  too....the choice is yours.

There will have to be some screws somewehere on the saber in order to secure the sleeve since there is no Covertec wheel to do that with.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 05:44:06 PM by QUI-GON-JINN »

Offline Darth_Baleful

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 06:36:25 PM »
deffinatly going to be one sick saber when it's finnished :o
Praise be the order brought forth from the very edge of chaos.

There is only one return. And it's not of the King, it's of the JEDI

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
After a day of discussion through pm,  it was decided to go ahead with the brass rings for the rear grip section,  taking inspiriation from,  and paying homage to this saber creation by our very own Judgesabersmith:

That saber I believe,  is currently owned by Corbin_Das,  creator of the Corbin Film blade diffusor sold through TCSS.

I drew up a quick pattern:

and after Khrysaor,  told me to "go for it" I took it out to the saw:

And cut some pieces off:

The first piece I cut off was about 1" wide...the next two were each 1/2" wide.  I also removed a piece that was about 7/16" wide,  but that will not be used.

After that was done,  I de-burred the pieces and test fit:

These will look good when polished up,  I think.  The plan right now is to have them held in place by a single stainless steel screw on the "bottom" of the saber.  I'll need to drill and tap for those sscrews,  and also drill for the recharge port...unless I can get it into the pommel....the insert is the recharge port type....but it's a pain to get the wires around the speaker....and then the insert has to be attached some how to the battery pack....i'd prefer to do the recessed recharge port like this:

It will be held in place like so:

The white pvc will snap the recharge port in place when it drops into the hole for it.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
Looks great Jay.  I am always curious about fixing the brass on.  Have you ever tried gluing them in place.  If you glued the rings on they would not have the screws sticking out.  Of course they would be there to stay.  With the tight fit I would think epoxy or jbweld would hold them nicely.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »
Looks great Jay.  I am always curious about fixing the brass on.  Have you ever tried gluing them in place.  If you glued the rings on they would not have the screws sticking out.  Of course they would be there to stay.  With the tight fit I would think epoxy or jbweld would hold them nicely.
I have considered that,  Luke,  but I can't guarantee that they'll stay on,  and would rather not have to have it sent back for repair every time one comes loose...I glued a piece on the bottom af BS-8,  and when it came back for the US 2.0 upgrade, that piece actually came loose.  I re-glued it,  but it might come off again.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
That is a bummer.  It would add a new dimension to the sinktube overlays.  Maybe your personal saber so you wouldn't need to worry about a return.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
That is a bummer.  It would add a new dimension to the sinktube overlays.  Maybe your personal saber so you wouldn't need to worry about a return.
That might be a possibilty,  as I have it torn down right now...I tried working on a way to get the recharge port for this one into the pommel,  and was testing it out on BS-2,  and somehow,  I broke off the main power switch's negative lead in doing so.  So,  that saber will have to be taken apart again to fix it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 08:23:33 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »
It's a sign.  You deserve it.  ;)

Offline gundamaniac

• Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 12:40:37 PM »
The nod to Judge is a nice touch. This should be an interesting BS, considering quite a bit of the MHS base seems to be PC black.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 12:48:34 PM »
Don't mean of get off topic, .....but Master Jinn, ...there is a 2 part epoxy that is called, ...2-ton epoxy. I think Locktite makes it. It is also clear, so it blends nicely.

If there is enough surface for it to spread out on, ....once it's there, ...its permanent!

The silver piece on my Heritage is fixed in place with it as well as the center green ring on SentiXamas' saber, the Mark1. It's really good stuff, ...especially for when u want no holes drilled.

The more I see you use that pvc recharge port fixture, ...the more I like it.
These BS series of yours are great, .....just great!

retrousse