fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN'S Brass Saber 10 (BS-10)  (Read 24103 times)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: QUI-GON-JINN'S Brass Saber #10 (BS-10)
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
Sure!  I use this one:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:54:42 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
Re: QUI-GON JINN'S Brass Saber 10 (BS-10)
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »
Ressurecting this old topic for an update...I took this saber back in on trade earlier this year when I built my buddy Scott from the Rebel Legion his Derelict style MHS sinktube hybrid saber,  "Remnant."

I have decided to return the saber to it's original color scheme,  using a 20guage brass tube for the main sleeve,  and also improving it (I think) by removing the sink-tube threaded end cap in lieu of an MHS pommel.  I think it's turning out okay so far:

I have numerous extra pieces of brass that were leftovers from the many, many sabers I have built that used "grip window" cut-outs on them,  and will add some of these to the rear grip section,  after some more Dremel work on them,  to give the saber more depth and a layered look:

I'll also try and fix the broken links in the topic,  since I did some re-organizing in my photobucket account a couple of years a go,  and forogt it would break all of these links.  ;P

EDIT:
All pics working again...too many pictures in this topic!  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:55:27 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2014, 09:10:55 AM »
Finally got some parts for this that I had been waiting on at TCSS to come back in stock:

I put a brass insert in the pommel:

Still a bit unsure of what to do on the rear grip area....the pieces I had cut to go here didn't look right to me,  so I took them off:

now,  of course,  the miss-alignment of the grip marks is visible.

I have a brass switch mounting ring:

And this is obviously,  the location of the aux button...I'm still leaning towards a Crystal Shard 2.0 for this one,  or possibly a Prizm. I still need to figure out where to put the recharge and RICE ports,  but that will be fairly easy.  This will be a simple and slow rebuild as I have a couple of other projects as well.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »
Qui Gon, I like it!

I drew a little 'control bar' on one of your pictures here:

A place for your recharge port, RICE port and AUX button.
Just an idea I had for this saber I figured I'd sketch it out for you to see if you liked it. You could fashion it out of a piece of brass or MHS sleeve and coat to brass or black.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
Interesting idea....might work if there's enough room in there with the battery pack I had planned for it.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #95 on: December 30, 2014, 02:50:10 PM »
I finally made a decision on the battery for this,  and where I'm going to locate things like the RICE & recharge ports,  and did some work to it yesterday.

I drilled a hole for the recharge port in both the brass tube and the MHS threaded section that holds the pommel:

Also shown there is the speaker mount I made for this.  There is very little room between the speaker and the recharge port,  so I will not be able to use a bass style speaker in this one.

I cut,  drilled,  and tapped a pvc c-clip for the recharge port and fit it inside the MHS section:

Once installed,  irt will line right up with the hole in the main body tube:

The c-clip was also drilled and tapped for 8-32 threads in corresponding holes to the CT button screw and the opposing brass button head that secure the MHS section inside the brass tube.

Since my plan is to drill the brass mps insert to house the RICE port,  I need to be able to get wires past the speaker.  I have found it is easier to to do that by mounting the speaker on the backside of the pvc mounts I make:

More on that later....

This is the battery I chose to try out in this one:

It is a Tenergy 26650,  3.7v, 4000mAh unprotected cell.  I'll add a pcb and it'll be good to go!

I soldered the pcb to the battery terminals,  added the necessary wiring,  and put a piece of thin rubber material underneath to prevent shorting should the solder points manage to gouge or otherwise damage the battery's pvc jacket:

I then wrapped it in polyolefin tubing (this is the rubberized heatshrink,  not the pvc type I usually use on smaller packs.) 

This battery is going to fit snugly inside the brass sinktube and I wanted to make sure there was no chance of it possibly shorting against the sidewall of the tube. There is plenty of room between the cell and the I.D. of the tube for wires to pass by,  and probably enough gap that some foam lining may be in order to prevent the battery from moving.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
Did some more work to this one earlier this week and again tonight!

On Monday,  I used my Dremel and a sanding drum to create a channel in the pvc speaker mount I made up a few weeks ago,  so that the speaker will sit partially inside the mount:

The speaker is attached via hot glue.  This is one the few times I used it in building a saber.  It works well for holding the speaker and is removable should the speaker need replacing.  The pvc mount was necessary due to the close proximity of the recharge port,  as a standard TCSS speaker mount v2 would extend too far into the MHS sinktube adapter and be stopped by the recharge port.

I also cut a channel to allow wires to pass by:

Those wires will be for the RICE port.

Which I drilled the MPS insert for today:

Lots of "stuff" in this little MHS sinktube adapter now:

With everything wired and heatshrink wrapped,  I decided to go ahead and install the assembly in the brass tube:

One thing I didn't get pics of was the c-clip for the recharge port...I also drilled and tapped it for 8-32 threads with holes that correspond to the ones in the sinktube adapter and the hilt,  so when the CT button and brass button head screw are installed,  they will thread into the c-clip and secure it.

The assembled rear grip:

Moving on,  I installed the switch after adding a ground wire that was missing for some reason:

Next up,  I need to modify the sound board cradle chassis disk,  make the chassis and get started on installing the Crystal Shard I have for this one. I still need to get an RGB led for the main blade,  too.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2015, 12:26:38 PM »
I finished this one up a while ago,  and never got around to posting it!  Here's the finished pictures:

During the re-assembly process, I had the emitter and ribbed extension pieces assembled and bumped them,  knocking them over,  and watched them roll off the edge of the bench before I could catch them...so it has some of it's first new weathering:

Recharge port near the end of the saber:

RICE port in the pommel:

YouTube video: Jay-gon Jinn's Brass Saber 10 (BS-10) v.4 - YouTube
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:28:45 PM by QUI-GON JINN »

retrousse