fiduciary

Author Topic: QUI-GON JINN'S Brass Saber 10 (BS-10)  (Read 24142 times)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: QUI-GON-JINN'S Brass Saber #10 (BS-10)
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 05:42:49 PM »
The brass is great, ...but since I can't get brass tubing, I'm gonna go for the weathered look with olive oil , but your saber here will serve as a great tutroial for me, .... I promise not to use the same design!  ;D

Really, this saber does not let you easily look away from it!! It's unique and ,.....well, I don't even know how to describe it.

from here you can.
http://www.signaturehardware.com/product418

Thanks Master Windu, ...but will TCSS parts fit in 20 gauge sinktube, ...I thought 22 was the limit??

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
These are TCSS parts,  darth_call....just email Tim and ask him to machine the outside diameter of the parts down to 1.43 inches.  They'll fit like a glove inside these 20ga. tubes.  I believe it's a $5 per part charge.

I keep saying this is your best saber yet.  :D  You continue to amaze me with your creative designs and use of the sinktube.

Why not try to add a MHS pommel to the end instead of the standard sinktube end cap.  I'm thinking the new Obi style pommel would rock this saber.  Of course it would be more cost and work but I am sure the buyer would more than make up for it.  Just a thought.  ;)

I've done that before,  Luke,  remember these two:

Those both used 5" MHS double threaded connectors inside the brass tubes so I could use the MHS pommels.  The problem with that is there isn't much space for the batteries,  so you're limited to either AAA's or the 4-AA "stick" type bettery holder.  I like the 4-AA stacked holder better,  as it fits right inside the 20ga,. tubes,  and saves space inside for the soundboard,  switch,  and recharge ports.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
I'll have to go back and look that thread up.  I forgot you did that.  IT looks like your best saber yet. lol  :D :D :D

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
Oh,  and there was also this one:

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2008, 07:14:01 PM »
Ahhh, I do remember that one.  I did forget about the pommel.  I have to say this is not your best work.  :D  Awesome looking saber but not your best.  I had to say it at some point.  ;D   

Actually it is a sweet saber just not my cup o tea.  ;)

Offline Master Jedye

• The Master of the School for the Dremel-Fu Gifted
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Master Jedye
    • Gemini Concepts
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2008, 07:15:44 PM »
Master Qui-Gon...Beautiful peices!!!!!  I saw on the site for the brass sink tube (product 420) you can get a gloss black one, amoung other finishes.  Has anyone experimented with this?  

First place winner in the 19 BBY \"Mustafar LavaRock Belly Crawl\"

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »
Master Qui-Gon...Beautiful peices!!!!!  I saw on the site for the brass sink tube (product 420) you can get a gloss black one, amoung other finishes.  Has anyone experimented with this?  

I haven't yet,  but would like to try some of the other finishes available.  Some of them look to be cost-prohibitive,  though.  The other finishes on these tubes can go as high as $45,  and that adds siginificant cost to a saber like this.

Iknow,  Luke,  the "sink drain" pommels aren't your thing,  but the owner of this is on a budget,  and he's a friend of mine,  so I'm trying to keep the costs as low as possible.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »
Since Halloween was finally over,  and I'm taking a breather before I start taking down the decorations (Halloween At QUI-GON-JINN'S House 2008),  I did a bit more work to this saber.

After a bit of discussion between myself and the new owner,  we decided to do a sanded finish for the rear grip section.  We had talked about putting a dozen or so o-rings on it for a rbbuerized rear grip feel,  but it was a little too expensive and didn't really look all that good,  either.

The first thing to do is layout where the grip rings are going to be.  I thought the smaller spaced ones would look good on this one,  so I marked off evey 1/4" for a total of 3 1/2" of grip:

Then,  using my tubing cutter,  tightened up just so it was snug on the tube,  I made the ring marks:

They turned pretty good.  Sometimes the ends of the line don't meet up,  as the cutting wheel may wander  as you turn the tube,  but I only had two of them that didn't quite match up,  so I'll call that good,  and get ready to sand the grip section for a "brushed" look:

I used simple masking tape,  and a piece of 400 grit sandpaper.   I laid the paper out in the palm of my hand,  and wrapped it around the hilt.  Then i just spun the saber in my hand unti lI got the desired finish:

I think it looks good:

It breaks up the polished brass,  almost gold look to the rear half of the saber.  Now I'll need to drill a hole for the switch.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:30:24 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 10:21:26 PM »
Nice work Jinn!! Not much else that could be said that hasn't already... ;)
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:19 PM »
Once again Master Jinn, your work with Brass is outstanding! our techniques are great lessons to all of us. Thanks

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 03:00:09 PM »
I had a few spare minutes today after I took down all of my Halloween decor (Halloween At QUI-GON-JINN'S House 2008) so I worked on the pommel cap instead of drilling the hole for the switch:

I test fit the chrome plated sink strainer that I usually use in these,  but it didn't fit in with the black and brass look (even though the rear grip sorta looks chrome now...) and used a piece of black aluminum screen from a screen repair kit instead.  I cut out the circular piece with my wife's Cutco scissors (these things can cut a penny in half!!!) and hot glued it into place:

I could still see inside the saber,  so I did what I usually do,  and cut a piece of foam to fit in behind the screen:

I think that looks good:

Maybe I'll drill for the switch next!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:31:17 AM by QUI-GON JINN »

Offline KI-ADI-MUNDI

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • "TRUST THE PROCESS"
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 03:28:24 PM »
That looks real good.... 8) I might have to try that.... :D

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
You are simply amazing. Even the dots you put down for the grip. How did you get it to line up so perfect? I think my major problem right now is getting precision. Everything I do don't line up.

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
Well,  those dots are evenly spaced because I measured them with a drafter's scale.  A simple ruler will do the trick,  too.

Offline MoonDragn

• Force User
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »
I'm talking about those dots being perfectly in the center of that tube! not the distance in between each. How do you do that? It looks totally perpendicular too.

retrousse