fiduciary

Author Topic: 2007 Vader (ANH) review  (Read 5417 times)

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
2007 Vader (ANH) review
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
I read a few reviews here saying the new Vader was brighter and louder and overall much better than previous Vader swords - this is not entirely accurate.

I compared my brand new 2007 Vader with the 2005 version side by side.  The new Vader does have a slightly different hilt (it's a bit heavier and of course has several minor cosmetic changes), but the light and sound are basically identical.

The blades are exactly the same - there IS NO BRIGHTNESS DIFFERENCE.

The sounds are exactly the same, although this new one might be a little bit louder - maybe 10% at most - and that is if I really heard a difference (it could be my ears playing tricks on me).

As far as Vader sabers go, this new one is definately the best so far - but if you already own a Vader and was hoping this one would be a good "upgrade," in my opinion it's not.

Offline Darth Matth

• Master Force User
  • You think I'm mad? Guess what,... I'm Darth Matth!
Re: 2007 Vader (ANH) review
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 06:34:53 AM »
Thank you for this.
I was planning for selling my ESB saber, but was not sure.
The smaller hilt is always a good thing, and louder sounds and brighter blade sounded very good but the looks of the ESB I like more.
But since this is not true, I think I keep the ESB.

Sorry for the bad English

Signature teleports you to my lightsaber collection

Offline Sora Skywalker

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 07:13:42 AM »
I read a few reviews here saying the new Vader was brighter and louder and overall much better than previous Vader swords - this is not entirely accurate.

I compared my brand new 2007 Vader with the 2005 version side by side.  The new Vader does have a slightly different hilt (it's a bit heavier and of course has several minor cosmetic changes), but the light and sound are basically identical.

The blades are exactly the same - there IS NO BRIGHTNESS DIFFERENCE.

The sounds are exactly the same, although this new one might be a little bit louder - maybe 10% at most - and that is if I really heard a difference (it could be my ears playing tricks on me).

As far as Vader sabers go, this new one is definately the best so far - but if you already own a Vader and was hoping this one would be a good "upgrade," in my opinion it's not.

Man yours might be defective then cause every one else compares it to there Esb Or 2003 Anh and say its brighter and louder and the ESB vader has wires sticking out correct and long grips  so the vader anh 2007 is way better it is loud i have never heared how loud a vader esb is but thats my oppinion

Offline Jedibum

• WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING
  • Force User
    • Hyperdyne Labs
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:59:48 AM »
I have to agree with Mojo.  I do not believe his is defective.  I saw MANY new 2007 Vaders at C4 and I also recently purchased one, and while I really like the hilt and would say it's one of my favorites so far ... it's not because it's significantly brighter or louder.

What I noticed was the diffusion is top notch.  I compared it to a stock Vader ESB and a stock Maul and the diffusion is the best so far.  The blade is completely smooth, can not see any dark spots or individual leds ... but as far as brightness goes it appears to be about the same.  When I compared the brightness level I used brand new duracell batteries for all sabers.

As far as sounds go, it does seem to be a little louder ... but it could be a trick (as Mojo pointed out) because the new Vader has a slightly different pitch than the others which may be making me think it's louder when it's just different.  I would say, if it's louder it's not by much ... just slightly as Mojo also pointed out.
Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Offline Hamill82

• under review
  • Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 12:21:58 PM »
Well I owned the Vader ANH 2003 and I always loved the Vader ESB more. Back then it was the same case, ANH was a bit louder, but horrible to play with and not that nice in your hands. Vader ESB beats ANH any day for me  ;), no matter if it's 2003 or 2007 version...

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 12:21:09 PM »
What I noticed was the diffusion is top notch.  I compared it to a stock Vader ESB and a stock Maul and the diffusion is the best so far. 

The ESB Vader I compared it with (side by side) was just as evenly lit.

Keep in mind blade uniformity can vary from saber to saber IN THE SAME MODEL as a result of "luck of the draw" manufacturing.  Others have confirmed that not all MR sabers are exctly the same, and since the LEDs are glued in place by hand, somtimes it turns out better than others.

Also, if you  play with your MR (i.e. duelling, practicing spins and inevitably dropping it now and then), even if the LEDs remain intact, they do get jostled around and I have seen perfectly even blades become slightly less even.  Thus, comparing ANY used blade with a new one will most likely make the new one seem perfect.

It's probably not a cooincidence that my freind's ESB I used for the comparison just sits on display.  He never touches it.

retrousse