fiduciary

Author Topic: Ben kenobi's Luke anh saber review.  (Read 18337 times)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: Ben kenobi's Luke anh saber review.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:16 PM »
I got my first ever saber last week and its Luke's ANH too! Yeah it does creaks and the plastic holder's unsightly. I too, have desire to convert it at a much later stage!

Good review, makes me appreciate my ANH Luke ever more now but the speaker on mine are very staticky, darn!

B

I'd change the speaker when I converted it my friend!!

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
  • I like my lightsabers too bright, too loud!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »
That I will deinitely do! :D I just hope there are louder speakers out there tho.

All in due time, this is why I didn't bother that the blade is slanting on sided and seems to be getting worse daily for some unknown reason.

B

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
That I will deinitely do! :D I just hope there are louder speakers out there tho.

All in due time, this is why I didn't bother that the blade is slanting on sided and seems to be getting worse daily for some unknown reason.

B

When you convert it I'd take out the sound board from that plastic shell and hook it up to a speaker like they sell on the custom saber shop and make a small sound chamber out of a piece of pcv pipe!! ;D

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »

When you convert it I'd take out the sound board from that plastic shell and hook it up to a speaker like they sell on the custom saber shop and make a small sound chamber out of a piece of pcv pipe!! ;D

Heyyyyyyy, now, I really don't know about that at all! Thanks for sharing! I hope TSCC will have a pictorial instructions like they did on their Vader and Mace. I saw something like you mentioned on the Mace but I didn't know what for, therefore, my question in my last post about louder speakers. :D Yeah, maybe that will make the sound even louder.

Right now, I just cup my hands on the end of the hilt and the sound sort of amplified at least 50% louder but I would prefer it coming from the speaker instead. :D

Btw, whose upgrade kit will you recommand? Ultra or TSCC?

Thanks!

B

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2007, 09:48:23 AM »
 ;D

Hard to say I think they both rock;but,the ultra sabers one has the led put together already so if you don't have a whole lot of saber building experience that's where I would go. 8)

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2007, 10:17:04 AM »
Thanks Kenobi!!! :D I am not too familiar with the TCSS stuff as yet. Their parts all looks pretty confusing to me at this moment but I think that I will go with the Ultra's. Yes, I noticed that TCSS stated that I have to buy this and that to complete the upgrading. Ultra looks easier and comes with a CD even!

But no upgrading anything for me for now coz I am saving to get my 3rd, 4th... and 5th saber! :D :D One at a time of course!

B

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2007, 10:26:15 AM »
I agree with Ben I would choose Ultra but they are both great and get the job done.  As far as gutting it and making your own chassis.  The MR problem with sound besides a cruddy speaker is that the speaker is out on the end.  Ideally you want the speaker about 3/4 - 1 inch up the pommel with about the same area open on the opposite side.  Resonance chamber.  You are doing the same thig by cupping the speaker.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2007, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks Kenobi!!! :D I am not too familiar with the TCSS stuff as yet. Their parts all looks pretty confusing to me at this moment but I think that I will go with the Ultra's. Yes, I noticed that TCSS stated that I have to buy this and that to complete the upgrading. Ultra looks easier and comes with a CD even!

But no upgrading anything for me for now coz I am saving to get my 3rd, 4th... and 5th saber! :D :D One at a time of course!

B
Good Luck on that when you do it and if any problems come up pm me and I will do what I can to answer your questions or direct you to an expert who can!! ;D

Offline lowandheavy

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2007, 10:32:18 AM »
I've had mine for a month and the screw head broke off the control box so my switch is expose but otherwise I love mine.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2007, 10:36:11 AM »
I've had mine for a month and the screw head broke off the control box so my switch is expose but otherwise I love mine.

Just find you a tap in the hardware store and put you another new screw in there and it should be fixed my friend!! ;)

Offline lowandheavy

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Yeah, I just need to find the right size and thread tap, oh and a screw that will look good on there I was suprised it broke in the first two hours I had it ( dropped it trying to hang it up fell on the control box surprisingly) but no big deal no scuff or such.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2007, 10:50:29 AM »
Yeah, I just need to find the right size and thread tap, oh and a screw that will look good on there I was suprised it broke in the first two hours I had it ( dropped it trying to hang it up fell on the control box surprisingly) but no big deal no scuff or such.

Pm Master yoda  he is an expert on the luke saber!!he can tell you your screw size!! ;D

Offline lowandheavy

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »
Thanks, I shot him a pm. I swear this is the best forum I have ever been a member of all of you are so nice and helpful!

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2007, 11:30:22 AM »
Man, I do agreed with Lowandheavy. This is seriously the best forum ever for me!

Thanks, Kenobi, I really appreciate your offer and I will do just that when I have the Ultra kits should I encounter any problem. Many thanks in advance!!! :D

TK421, man, that too is another valuable information. So the speaker should be around 3/4 to an inch from the end. I do not know if this is possible if upgrading the FX but when I come around to making my own hilt. That will be what I want dp.

One question guys. Its embarrassing! I used to work as a carpenter for car stereos and sometimes, the guys will put 2 speakers..., ok sub-woofers facing one another in a constructed box. They did this for additional low bass or something like that, I can't remember coz its some 20 years ago! :D But, would using 2 speakers facing one another inside the hilt make any difference at all in this case?

Thanks!

B

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
Yes this forum really rocks.

Not sure about the duel speaker issue.  I know someone tried something like that over at TCSS.  And not sure exactly what distances you want for the resonance chamber.  Those are ballparks.  I would guess it depends on the ID of the hilt.  And any MR conversion except the Yoda should have enough room for that IMO.  maybe not a full inch but a bit.  Yoda's graflex' don't have any chamber and they are louder than an MR IMO.  I am very please with what he did.  To be perfectly honest there is a point where it can get too loud and start to be annoying.  I have heard of guys using anything from PVC to 35mm film cannisters to make their sound chambers.  TCSS sells a little ring you can use on the MHS to hold the speaker in the hilt.   I just got one and it should work out great.

retrousse