fiduciary

Author Topic: My Luke ANH review - it stinks!  (Read 22642 times)

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
Re: My Luke ANH review - it stinks!
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2007, 01:00:09 AM »
I can't believe reviews like this are being posted..  perhaps there are some 'duds' out there.  I've owned every blue-bladed FX created by MR, and the new Luke ANH is by far my favorite.  The blade very bright, does not creak when swung, and appears lighter in hue than its predecessors.   The the sounds are loud, crisp, and play in the familiar accelerated/high-pitched fashion that only the Anakin AOTC sounded like previously.  My only dislike is the plastic collar where the blade emits - had this been the same functional piece used by the Luke ESB, we'd have a 10/10 product here.   This complaint aside, I give this FX a 9.5/10, awarding what appears to be MR's final FX with the 'Best Yet' title. 
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline Mojo_LA

• Force User
  • "Stormtroopers are weenies"
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 02:22:45 PM »
The blade very bright, does not creak when swung, and appears lighter in hue than its predecessors.   The the sounds are loud, crisp, and play in the familiar accelerated/high-pitched fashion that only the Anakin AOTC sounded like previously. 

The sounds and blade are EXACTLY THE SAME as all other blue MRs.

Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them.

And I don't like ragging on MR, but it will be a cold day on Dagobah before this saber gets any "best of" award.  Just comparing it side by side to the Anakin shows that the Luke is obviously inferior in every way (not counting the resemblance to a grafflex).

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »
The blade very bright, does not creak when swung, and appears lighter in hue than its predecessors.   The the sounds are loud, crisp, and play in the familiar accelerated/high-pitched fashion that only the Anakin AOTC sounded like previously.

The sounds and blade are EXACTLY THE SAME as all other blue MRs.

The sounds are the same, but the tone is different from my Obi & Anakin.  This could have been achieved by increasing the voltage to the board, or maybe nothing was done at all, but I know the pitch is different.  I'm not trying to sell this as "new sounds," as I assure everyone they are not, but it is a difference worth noting.

As for the blade, yes, it is also nearly identical, but this blade has a lighter blade diffuser than my other blue's.  It's not much, but the blue comes out a tad bit lighter in hue when ignited. 

If the Luke you received is the dud you've described, then luck was not on your side this time around.
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline Darthmischief

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2007, 10:12:07 AM »
 Todd

You're review is giving me "A NEW HOPE" that the saber might be worth getting! :-)  Especially if I can return/exchange a few times to get a non-creaky one.

Offline Andy Anonymous

• Master Force User
    • Andy Anonymous
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2007, 05:00:01 PM »
And I don't like ragging on MR, but it will be a cold day on Dagobah before this saber gets any "best of" award.  Just comparing it side by side to the Anakin shows that the Luke is obviously inferior in every way (not counting the resemblance to a grafflex).

I think we've established that some people got sabers that were made somewhat better than yours. To those people (and I'm one of them), this saber may absolutely be among MR's best. To me, the Anakin was inferior.

Offline coLUKEtor

• Force User
  • "experience outranks everything"
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2008, 04:15:25 PM »
I agree with todd, this saber's cool!!!  :D or may be I just got lucky in picking a creak-free Luke ANH at TRU. The ONLY downfall of this saber is the line at the plastic emitter.  :-\

Offline jpbeck

• Master Force User
  • "Always run the same direction EOD are running"
    • http://snipersparadise.com/sniperchat/index.php?
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2008, 04:24:18 PM »
I like it------ It's cool and and it feels nice in my hand. It'll  be even cooler when I convert it to LUX III Cyan though. I had a blade holder machined for it, I just have to find the energy to break it down.

Offline Ketme-Hamje Traya

• Experienced Force User
  • "Our path brought us here for a reason..."
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2008, 07:39:24 PM »
...I had a blade holder machined for it, I just have to find the energy to break it down.

More like you have to build up the courage to tear the baby down...I'd never do that to mine, my Luke is staying in it's protective shroud of foam and cardboard.
*Pets the box and in a motherly voice*
Yes honey...no one will ever hurt you...you're perfect the way you are to me...
"...there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
-Darth Traya

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
I blue the LEDs out of my first one and torn it down. I converted the TCSS's Graflex holder in it. It'll be a stunt saber with sound. At the moment, it is on hold. I have an "older" idea that I am in the midst of working on. ;)

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

retrousse