fiduciary

Author Topic: Cyano's Darth Vader ESB (2005) Force FX Lightsaber Review  (Read 8349 times)

Offline Cyano Khaar

• Experienced Force User
  • Feel the Force
Cyano's Darth Vader ESB (2005) Force FX Lightsaber Review
« on: November 11, 2006, 01:10:28 PM »
Yay! My second review! I love reviewing these things, they are so cool.

After getting my Luke ROTJ saber, I started to want more of them. I decided that I would want The Vader, Full Maul, and Anakin. I had to make a choice between these, so I headed over to the Bestbuy. Since I live in Canada, I got a really low stock of Lightsabers, and the ones that were still there, were insanley priced. Thay only had Maul sabers (159.99 for JUST the Battle Damaged). So I left the store. I knew that I would not find any good deals in this country, so I headed over to Detroit since I share a border with them.

I headed to the Sharper image in Michigan, and I saw a whole stack of FX sabers. There was 1 of each saber out on the floor to test out, so I tried each one. I loved the hilt of the Anakin, so pretty and shiny. The sounds of the Vader were awsome, and the double bladed maul just looked amazing. I ended up getting the Vader lightsaber, knowing that I can always come back and get the other 2 when I get the cash. Nice and cheap too, only $110.

When I got home, I carefully opened the box, and took out the saber, and put the batteries in.

The Blade

Woa, this is not the orange colour that you are used to seeing on the internet clips. The vader blade is a perfect red colour. Not as bright as my Luke, but the Red really looks nice. I mean really nice, this is what red is supposed to look like. And Lucky me, I had no dark spots. Everyone seems to complain about dark blotches on the blades, but I really cant see anything that would be of an annoyance. Just like the Luke saber, if you hold it at an angle you can see the individual LEDs riding up the blade, but it looks like a pattern, and you cant see it very well. In other words, unless you are looking for something to critisize, you will not find anything to critisize. Unlike the Luke, the blade on the Vader saber is VERY sturdy. No wobblyness, no jerking, it feels like it is super glued into the hilt, which is what I like. I dont duel with my sabers, so I could care less about how thick the polycarbonate is. All I know is that the best red saber to duel with is the maul.

Looses points for being a little on the orange side, but just a bit. The clash activation takes a good amount of force to make, which gets annoying.

The Hilt

One word, amazing. This hilt is perfect, it looks just like Lord Vader's saber from the movies. The hilt has a chrome finish which makes it looks more expensive than the Luke saber. The emitter is a very hard plastic, and looks fine. The power box has a little white bubble on/off button to turn it....on and off. I do have one complaint about the hilt. It looks AMAZING, it really does. But sadly, this is not a saber to duel with. It is very hard to get a confterable place to hold it. Forget about holding it with 2 hands. The hilt is also VERY heavy. You are still able to swing it and use it with one hand, but it is almost double the weight of the Luke saber, even though it uses half the batteries. NOT a good saber for dueling with. It does look flippin sweet though. And since I dont duel, I have no complaints.

The Sounds

The best part of the Vader saber are it's sounds. They scream evil, and suit the saber very well. The on/off sounds are deep and slow. Also, when you turn it on and off, it takes longer to go up and down like most sabers. It has a very slow, powerful feel to it. The sounds are deep, and the single clash sound is just fine since it sounds crackly and awsome. I find that the motion sensing in the Vader is better than the Luke, but maybe I am imagining things.

Awsome motion sounds. But there is only one clash sound, and the clash sound should be the activation sound in my opinion.

Overall

Overall this is faithful to the movie replica, and it is one of the best sabers on the market. But xxx, all of the sabers are the best on the market. I give a slight advantage to the Luke saber since it has a great colour, it is lighter, and it is the best to spin around. The vader has better sounds and a better hilt though.

Expect an Anakin and Full Darth Maul review in december and future 2007. Until then, enjoy.

~Cyano

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 12:31:33 PM by Cyano Khaar »

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
Re: Cyano's Darth Vader ESB (2005) Force FX Lightsaber Review
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 03:51:20 PM »
ahhhhh, we've seen it before lol
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 06:49:35 PM »
Hi Cyano! Good review! Yes I like my vader saber also. I hope you all the best with your other saber buys.I must tell you, when you get your maul double fx-lightsaber, you'l love it!! It's one cool saber. May the force be with you always. DaJoQuim

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
Another good review. I look forward to your anakin one :)

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
  • may the toast be with you "this is a quote"
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:09:01 PM »
im gonna get one of these soon i love my anakin check my review out too

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=5637.0

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 03:33:43 PM »
I remembered that review and you really did a great job! I just want to say one thing  to lord throughlou about the maul fx lightsaber. Once you have one in your hands; you'll never be the same lol!!DaJoQuim

Offline Knuckle01

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
I remembered that review and you really did a great job! I just want to say one thingĀ  to lord throughlou about the maul fx lightsaber. Once you have one in your hands; you'll never be the same lol!!DaJoQuim

oh man....i have to try that one out

Offline levelnext

• formerly known as levelnext
  • Master Force User
  • you are what you is
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 10:42:39 PM »
nice review cyano, congrats on your new saber! the vader sounds just rock!
On a mission to constantly annoy C3PO!

--:CLICK HERE TO SEE MY COLLECTION:--

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2006, 10:43:16 PM »
I have a Maul in the mail as we speak. I got it for $150(including S&H). What a steal!

But anyway, great review. The Vader Saber is my absolute favorite. It is the best saber out there hands down. The sound is so clear and acurate and that is a deal breaker for me. I just can't abide the ripping cardboard sounds when you swing the Jedi sabers. I really have no trouble weildng the Vader and it doesn't seem all that heavy to me. Sadly, I am without it at the moment. Ultra is doing a premium conversion for me right now on account of busting an LED during dueling.

Offline Knuckle01

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »
are you going to keep the new conversion red..or are you gonna change it up?

Offline Jedi Kure

• Experienced Force User
  • And you will learn your place young one.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 10:49:30 PM »
Yes, if you are using the maul in saberstaff mode you can't help but feel the dark side of the force flow through you.

Oh, and the vader sounds are really nice indeed.

"This Weapon Is Your Life"

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 10:52:26 PM »
are you going to keep the new conversion red..or are you gonna change it up?

It would be blasphemy to have a vader saber anything but red!

Offline levelnext

• formerly known as levelnext
  • Master Force User
  • you are what you is
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 10:54:27 PM »

It would be blasphemy to have a vader saber anything but red!

agree (unless you own two or more)
On a mission to constantly annoy C3PO!

--:CLICK HERE TO SEE MY COLLECTION:--

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 10:56:41 PM »
Not planning on owning 2 of any particular saber(save the Maul, of course). I'm really looking forward to my Vader Ultrasaber being the end all to be all in my saber collection.

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
  • may the toast be with you "this is a quote"
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 02:08:48 AM »
im really want a maul but im gonna go for a vader instad because i cant really afford a maul lol ;D

retrousse