fiduciary

Author Topic: How do you make smoothswing fonts?  (Read 2379 times)

Offline possum

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
How do you make smoothswing fonts?
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »
I've been looking up a ton of things trying to figure out how to make them but there seems to be barely any information or tutorials.

Offline ded99

• No Force
  • Look ma, no life.
Re: How do you make smoothswing fonts?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »
Smooth swing fonts for what kind of board?

Offline Lolwel21

• No Force
  • Bridging mechanical and organic
Re: How do you make smoothswing fonts?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
Not sure how to format for things other than ProffieOS (I am a first-time font maker as well), but it may be helpful to download and investigate the sample (default) SD card found on the ProffieOS website (ProffieOS). You can download it using one of the links near the top (labelled "sound fonts and/or tracks").

Some additional information on creating sound fonts can be found under "sound effect file names" and on the smoothsw.ini documentation (https://github.com/profezzorn/ProffieOS/wiki/smoothsw.ini).

Personally, I create (or at least export) my sound files from Audacity, as it gives you pretty good control over the exact export parameters. For the best compatibility / highest quality, export as 16-bit Wav with a 44.1khz sample rate and no extra metadata (when a window with a bunch of text fields appears as you export, make sure they are all empty).

Extra notes:
Since SmoothSwing is polyphonic (multiple sound files can play at once), make sure all of your accent sounds are clean (they do not have the hum mixed in). Things can sound weird if this isn't the case.

Background info (just in case):
SmoothSwing is structured as a looping hum, which is dynamically mixed with pairs of looping swing sounds, and with accent sounds played on top.
swingl is the low-sounding part of the swing, and swingh is the high-sounding part of the swing. These sounds must come in numbered pairs, but you can have as many swing pairs as you like.
Additional sounds like clashes, blaster sounds, activation/deactivation sounds, etc. are played on top of the hum and swing sounds.
More in-depth information can be found in the SmoothSwingV2 description linked on the ProffieOS homepage (under SmoothSwing V2 - Demo, Thexter's description)

retrousse