fiduciary

Author Topic: Joker (non-spoiler)  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Brad1981

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Joker (non-spoiler)
« on: October 05, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
Has anyone here seen Joker yet?  If so, what did you think?  To me, that was the most psychotic, uncomfortable, and dark movie I have seen in a long, long time.  The soundtrack/score was superb.  One thing for certain: I'll never hear Rock and Roll #2 by Gary Glitter and not think of Joker again.  The film was phenomenal but certainly, as it is pretty obvious, not a family film. 

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: Joker (non-spoiler)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
a problem I had with this movie was the idea that the joker gets his strength from his own "victimhood". 
the more he is portrayed as a victim in this film, the more support he gets from the community.
this support from the community, empowers him to become The Joker.

there's a great scene in ST:TNG where Picard is captured by the Cardasians ("I. See. Four. Lights!")
at one point, after torturing Picard by every means possible, the Cardasian Warlord feeds Picard an "egg",
as he tells Jean Luc a story:  this fearsome warrior was once a young child, who had been bullied by older boys.
these bullies end up stealing his food (an egg) and leaving him to go hungry in the streets.

Picard laughs at him.  'from now on I will NOT see a fearsome warrior, I will only see a six year old boy'
and even as the cardasian steps up the torture, as Picard is writhing in pain from the torture device,
Picard says: "you are six years old and helpless, you cannot hurt me!" -- this infuriates the villain.

--> I can't help thinking, that from now on, when I look at the Joker,
I will NOT see a diabolical criminal mastermind who is capable of taking on The Batman;
instead I will see a helpless victim.
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: Joker (non-spoiler)
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »
Only 3 and a half months late. :angel:

I had a similar reaction as Wedge: I don't buy it.  Criminal Empires and the concoction of elaborate schemes of doom require effective leadership & management skills, practiced ingenuity, and fearlessness.  Poor Arthur had trouble managing his own life.

While other versions of the Joker showed varying ranges of "insanity", they seemed like mostly surface or personality traits.  They all still demonstrated a high level of competency regarding personal (and personnel) management, rational decision-making, and critical thinking. 

I mean, he would HAVE to in order to be considered Chief Rival to BAT-EXPLETIVE-MAN! 

retrousse