fiduciary

Author Topic: Luke ESB Replacment Grips  (Read 2360 times)

Offline MaulFan77

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Luke ESB Replacment Grips
« on: October 13, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
So I just got a Luke ESB signature edition and I'm very disappointed. The grips are completely sticky and have bubbles appearing in them, and one of the grips is warped and is cracking at the end. I really don't know what to do here. Is there any was to replace the grips or something?  I would want something autheintic to the original MR product
that is a gallery with pictures

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
Re: Luke ESB Replacment Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:10:33 PM »
There are several vendors out there that sale quality T-track grips fir your saber... Blast-tech is one vendor for example.  Use thinner to clean up the sticky residue before reapplying the new grips. Good luck my friend .

Offline WEDGE ANTILLES

• formerly known as Cobalt60
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • May the LAG be with you
Re: Luke ESB Replacment Grips
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:09:48 PM »
there's all kinds of threads about this on rebelscum.   basically, the MR sabers were made in china with questionable plastics -- "not entirely stable", this plastic seems to be decomposing over time.  this is pandemic to the entire MR line,  FX and LE sabers alike -- it seems they will all break down over time and turn to 'black goo' like this.   humidity and sunlight seem to be accelerating factors... although... I live in a very dry climate, and I've had the same problem with mine.    (for example last christmas, I gifted a brand new Luke eSB FX, 'new in the box', to my wife's cousin as part of a 'secret santa' gift exchange.  the grips on the saber were tacky, and this one had never been exposed to sunlight nor humidity.  it was 'mint in sealed box', and it was still decomposing over time). 

in the end, there's not a lot you can do about it -- it's a known issue in the collector' community -- if anything, it proves the saber you bought is an authentic MR and not a counterfeit :P hehe.   you could try to replace the grips as suggested, but this will effect the resale value -- and you;ll probably find that the grips are not glued on, as you might like/expect; IIRC, the plastic grips include molded anchors that go through holes in the hilt to hold the grips in place -- this will be a major PITA to remove :(
"The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story.
Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned, and Luke doesn't get married..."
- George Lucas

retrousse