fiduciary

Author Topic: Stringblade and In hilt LED Discussion  (Read 11921 times)

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
  • You cant have a droid Phil
Stringblade and In hilt LED Discussion
« on: January 11, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »
cfls is the way of the future, may scorpion and i have empties so we can add cfls boards;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:05:03 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Offline Modern-Day Warrior

• Force User
Re: Re: Accurate Obi ROTS anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 02:50:12 PM »
Might not make a difference, but just throwing out my interest for a CF-LS version as well. Blade would not have to be included.

But don't worry. I'll be pouncing on this regardless. As long as it doesn't stretch my wallet too wide...

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
You guys do understand it isn't as simple as using a different soundboard right?  The machinework has to be totally changed to account for the din connector instead of an led, and, the connector from the blade to the din connector also has to be made.  The purpose of a run like this isn't to have 3 different sets of parts made, nor is it to have them all made the same, and then manually machine all of these extra pieces. 

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:58:11 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
To be honest I didn't consider the LS when we started working with this design.  Right now it is too late in the game to try and change the design to accommodate the LS...sorry guys I just didn't think about it and really wanted to stick with one thing anyway to keep cost lower.

I am also not that familiar with the LS and thought I remember there is an issue getting foam inserts for the 7/8th blades.  That may have been solved since I read that though.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 03:22:23 PM »
There is only one saber you can get the 7/8" foam from, that's the problem.  For 1", you can use any of the mr blade foams but 3 of them (yoda, windu, and maul). 

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:24:05 PM »
yeah the male din will go where the led,heat sink and lens go,we can fit the female din to the blade ;) be grand :)

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
But what will hold it there?  The air? 

If you want to buy a fully installed one and gut it to put a cf ls in, you can do that. 

Also, a din connector takes up more space than a tri cree/rebel led, so it can"t go in the same spot regardless of where the led is in the hilt. 

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 03:45:04 PM »
Not to rain on anyone's parade here, but CFLS is hardly "the wave of the future".  You do realize that string blades have been around since the very beginning?  Not just with MRFX, but Hyperdyne was a huge player at one time.  Makoto moved into the vacuum he vacated.  There was a demand for Plecter quality sound with a stringblade and so CFLS was born and it is a great product and an excellent option for someone who wants primarily a showpiece.  But, the tech that sells overwhelmingly is in hilt LEDs.  There have always been stringblade solutions and they have their place in the hobby but because of the fact that people like to smack around their sabers ^-^ it will always be just a segment of the hobby. 

As ANAKIN mentioned, different space considerations have to be taken into account during the design phase.  This saber is designed to be as close to screen accurate as possible and the neck is very thin just like the prop.  Without a redesign or major modification I do not see how you would fit an LED blade in there.

This is going to be the definitive Obi ROTS to date!  I think it is going to be more than grand just as it is  :)).  I look forward to seeing these come to life!

Facebook: VVFB

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 04:01:01 PM »
ah we'll make it fit,check out hotwingz00 obi etc,its awesome,its accurate and its cfls, in hilt led is useless if the blade is any longer than 2 ft long, if you like a huge flare at the botton and bit of colour in a tube at the top for dualing thats cool but i like the flare at the bottom that continues to the top, anyone wanna go in on a hilt, you can have the internals haha ;)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 04:03:37 PM »
I don't know what blades or sabers you have but that is simply not true of all blades and all sabers.  Base flare is characteristic of certain manufacturer's products not all sabers ;).

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 04:07:48 PM »
it doesnt have to be a din it can be done with a small quick snap connector that would sit inside the blade
similar to how mr did it,
id say if you want to go for cfls it will need installed after we receive them
i too would have liked the option but its cool

on the brightness side of things will the led be in the emitter or behind the neck section?

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
ive a gladius with pc2 done by GG,obi tpm with cfv6 done by LB,shock le with ignitor n z6 by IAC and many others but my cfls's and makotos are much better brightness wise;)

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 04:20:26 PM »
It depends on the type of LED used and the blade.  The X-4 that comes with the Gladius and the z6 both have central LEDs that go under a single lens not designed for that purpose.  That can cause base flare and dimming as you go up the blade.  You might try some other LED options because I promise you it is possible to have a bright even 3 foot blade with an in hilt LED.  I do agree though that LED Stringblades can be incredibly bright and I do love the scrolling effect :).

I have complete confidence that MH, LDM and Orbital machining will produce a saber that is a must have, that will have a bright even blade that will be a cherished item in any collection :).

Offline JediWizard

• Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 04:57:22 PM »
i dont think general grievous uses the x4 when he put in the LEDEngin 10W RGBW

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Vader's Vault
Re: Stringblade and In hilt LED Discussion
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 05:12:55 PM »
Split off so this can have its own topic and not clutter someone's sale discussion. 

String blades will obviously look different than in hilt LEDs as they are different things.  However it is completely possible to have a bright even blade with an in hilt LED. 

Quick example of one of our Combat Class, 32" blade on these:

retrousse