fiduciary

Author Topic: This Guy Has The Right Idea  (Read 10816 times)

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
  • Luminous beings are we...
Re: This Guy Has The Right Idea
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:29 PM »
Yeah, I get what you're trying to do. Good luck with it. Lol. I don't like the changes, but I don't really complain about them unless someone asks my opinion. I don't think there would be as much backlash about them if they were simply offered as an extra on the DVD or bluray, where u could choose to watch the original version or the special edition. To change it and make it the only version available to buy for the last 15 years or so is somewhat foolish I think. I think offering both versions would make the changes more palatable.
In wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself.

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
Oh, and the dl44 is the blaster Han uses in the movies, and all 3 movies are in fact listed among the sources for the wookieepedia article. To me, that makes the information canon, as well as the fact that the website endeavors to only present canonical information, as pointed out in the quote I mentioned earlier. You should read the wookieepedia canon policy. It's very interesting. It states that they will only present information that is approved by lucasfilm as canon. That tells me that the technical info found in the article about Hans dl44 is in fact considered to be accurate. I think we can all generally accept the articles found on wookipeedia to be canon. Also gl has stated that all previous eu information should be considered source material for technical information for all new canon. To me, we are now splitting extremely thin hairs lol. I think we're getting a lot nit- picky.
All of this was simply a footnote in onlin wons comment regarding the type of character Han was at the beginning of the story, and how he changed dramatically by the end of the story. The simple change of having Greedo shoot first actually does, in my opinion weaken Hans character development. It shows that his development from scoundrel to hero was not as drastic as we all remember from the original cut of the movie. It actually makes his evolution slightly less significant. It means that he was already a pretty good guy at the beginning, so he didn't have far in his personal journey to go.
You've never seen the original movies in their original cut, but those of us that grew up with those movies do have a strong opinion of the changes. For many of us, these small changes combine to result in a fairly different experience when watching the movies now. The main story is there, but the pace and overall experience is different than the movies that we fell in love with. U may say that different does not mean worse, but for many of us, in this case the "improvements" do make the experience worse. But you are right, complaining about it won't get us very much lol.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:59:10 PM by Mr. Joshua »

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 06:27:24 AM »
Disney is LEGALLY free to make a new Star Wars movie with a Jedi from the planet Rodentia.

But we are free to think that Jedi Master Mi-ki Maoz is as stupid an idea as Jar-Jar, or Han not shooting first.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Nicholas.slaydon

• Experienced Force User
  • “Ours Is The Fury"
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 10:05:21 AM »
Oh, and the dl44 is the blaster Han uses in the movies, and all 3 movies are in fact listed among the sources for the wookieepedia article. To me, that makes the information canon, as well as the fact that the website endeavors to only present canonical information, as pointed out in the quote I mentioned earlier. You should read the wookieepedia canon policy. It's very interesting. It states that they will only present information that is approved by lucasfilm as canon. That tells me that the technical info found in the article about Hans dl44 is in fact considered to be accurate. I think we can all generally accept the articles found on wookipeedia to be canon. Also gl has stated that all previous eu information should be considered source material for technical information for all new canon. To me, we are now splitting extremely thin hairs lol. I think we're getting a lot nit- picky.
All of this was simply a footnote in onlin wons comment regarding the type of character Han was at the beginning of the story, and how he changed dramatically by the end of the story. The simple change of having Greedo shoot first actually does, in my opinion weaken Hans character development. It shows that his development from scoundrel to hero was not as drastic as we all remember from the original cut of the movie. It actually makes his evolution slightly less significant. It means that he was already a pretty good guy at the beginning, so he didn't have far in his personal journey to go.
You've never seen the original movies in their original cut, but those of us that grew up with those movies do have a strong opinion of the changes. For many of us, these small changes combine to result in a fairly different experience when watching the movies now. The main story is there, but the pace and overall experience is different than the movies that we fell in love with. U may say that different does not mean worse, but for many of us, in this case the "improvements" do make the experience worse. But you are right, complaining about it won't get us very much lol.
When the movies are put in the sources it means that did in fact use a DL-44. And George has always said that the ONLY thing that is canon is his movies an the clone wars series. So anything outside of those is non-canon. Now Wookiepedia uses several types of canon there is the EU and marketing canon and then there is G canon witch stands for George-canon. "There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe."
And I agree that you have a right to not like the changes.

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 11:18:52 AM »
Lol. I'm not stupid. I am fully well aware of what it means. I was simply pointing out that you were mistaken when u said that the only canon sources for the article are 4 clone wars episodes. I was stating that there were in fact more canon sources than that. That is all.
I accept that wookieepedia is only giving canon information. Read their canon policy. They don't break it down further than that, and I think it would be ridiculous for us to, especially since the new canon material continues to be added to every time an approved author writes a story.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
well me personally I don't hate lucas, I just think he was a bit foolish messing with something so good.
why did he really feel the need to add all the extra crap? ( it was public knowledge he used the original trilogy as a test bed for next gen special effects for his up coming prequels and no other reason, so thank the prequels for all the extra stuff added ) .
my favourite version of the films are the digitally remastered versions from the 90's thay have no added scenes but great picture quality.

my gripes:

ok the jabba scene in epIV that was a complete joke!

taking out the happy we have won ewok song from jedi and putting in some morbid dirge in its place was what the xxx!

then putting in whiney boy Anakin at the end, i mean we all knew he was making ep1 at that time so there was no need, plus he should of been old not young! and don't give me the old well he reverted to his old good image crap. lol some things should just be left alone.

pretty much every thing else I could live with apart from those big mistakes.

I just wish instead of the 4.3 original theatrical release version in the extras on the Blu-ray box set he gave the rematered version of them instead.
the world would be a happier place and we would not be having this discussion hahaha
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »
Oh I most definatley agree. I don't hate him either, I just think maybe he's a bit of a perfectionist? Always trying to make some improvements to something when it was just about perfect the way it was. I love these movies, but these changes, for me anyway, are kinda distracting lol.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 05:53:03 PM »
There is another thread here somewhere where "Wedge Antilles" points out in a very detailed fashion that the entire reason the SE exists was so George could mess over his ex-wife when they got divorced. I won't try to explain that in detail because Wedge does it so much better than I ever could but it is such a LOW base motive behind the SE that only proves the SE in UNWORTHY of any artistic respect; it is NOT any "perfectionism" on George's part to actually 'improve' the film, he was just trying to mess-over someone he now hates and was willing to mess with his own work to 'get' someone...that's not artistry that's cheap personal pettiness and SITHY malice.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Darth Solace

• Master Force User
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Yeah, I was just offering a guess lol. But I can see that happening.

retrousse