fiduciary

Author Topic: Christoph's Vader (ESB) Saber [UPDATED 19/10/06]  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Christoph

• Force User
Christoph's Vader (ESB) Saber [UPDATED 19/10/06]
« on: July 07, 2006, 08:56:03 AM »
My first FX Saber review.

Introduction
The Vader ESB was my first Master Replica lightsaber so it had to undergo several days of research in my spare time before I decided whether to buy an MR saber (this site greatly helped). I came to the conclusion that I would either buy an Anakin ROTS or Vader ESB and after deciding to indulge in the dark side to begin with I put in the order for a Vader ESB.

Delivery

-The delivery itself was the easy part even though it did come through parcelforce (probably one of the worst companies in the world). No, the worst part was the wait, the anticipation of it… hoping that somehow it would be delivered a day early… wondering if it was as really good as it looks in the pictures.  That is the problem with the force FX lightsabers, the anticipation and the hope that nothing is wrong with it… it torments you every day until you finally get it. Another big concern for me was would I be disappointed with it not living up to my expectations?

The Hilt

The hilt of the Vader ESB is very detailed, with lots of little things that make it beautiful to display but still comfortable to use. The black grips that run halfway up the blasé are comfortable to grip if being used to ‘steer’ the saber with your other hand being further up supporting the weight of it although it can be uncomfortable to tightly grip on it.  The activation switch has a nice effect with the six ‘bubbles’ to it although it can be hard to switch it on by sliding it from the middle I find pushing it from the back of the first bubble works well.  The upper part of the hilt has the little wire effects which add to the complexity of the saber and make it take upon the look of a weapon to kill not concerned with beauty (although it does look amazing), the wire details can get in the way of placing your hand but I can always find a comfortable position.  At the very top of the hilt there is a textured plastic ‘guard’ where the blade comes out of, which also has very nice details on the back of it, however find it can move up and down ever so slightly if it is pushed.  The hilt is both great for displaying and getting the ‘wow’ factor and comfortable for using the saber and seems to be very sturdy.

The Blade

The blade of the Vader ESB is a deep bright red, with a good colour consistency along the entire blade. The Vader will look pinkish in the daylight and only really works best in dark conditions… late dusk and night time when the true colour shines brilliantly. The Vader ESB may not be the brightest out of all of the Force-FX’s but it has it’s own unique glow to it... an oppressive red glow that would bring out the sith in anyone, it gives the room or the area you are in a ‘dark atmosphere’.  If used in conjunction with another force (that is not the same colour) FX the Vader ESB blade is a great contrast.

The Sounds

The sounds of the Vader as everyone knows is one of it’s biggest assets, the menacing electronic  hiss of the saber in idle mode sets the mood for lightsaber battles and the using of the saber.  The one clash sound is distinctive compared with other sabers and again makes this the ultimate weapon of a sith (no not the death star or the force) although the lack of variety may put people off the many other features of the Vader ESB really make up for it.  The movement sounds all maintain a degree of the electronic feel to it and the hostile feel of this saber and are usually accurate although can slip up once in a while on complex spins and moves.  The ignition sound is a short and sharp hiss compared with the switching off sound which is more of a prolonged hiss. The sounds are a true asset to the Vader ESB and help complete the feel of the saber already shown by the blade and hilt.

Conclusion

Did it meet my expectations? No... It blew them away. The Vader ESB is an excellent force FX and is a great first saber for anyone interested in buying one. The impression I get from the Vader is a solid construction that is not only great to display but also to use.  This is my favourite saber because of those reasons and the fact that it was my first Force FX.

Update

I have now had the Vader ESB for almost half a year and it still remains my favourite Force FX-Saber, as you can see by the updated pictures it needs a good polish which i will give it shortly after writing this update. The red is still as deep as ever, the sounds still as sinister and the blade is as sturdy as the day i got it. Despite now having the Anakin ROTS and Luke ROTJ this remains my favourite saber. The red blade on the picture may seem a little washed out but thats just the camera effect, in real life it does look alot better and the hilt looks alot sleeker. I would not hesistate to recomend this saber to any first time buyer or FX collector.

Thank you for reading.
-Christoph.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 09:16:50 AM by Christoph »

For Corbantis, For Had Abbadon, For Empires Elite <EE>, For the Empire!

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
Re: Christoph's Vader (ESB) Saber
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 09:00:06 AM »
Awesome review. I too like the Vader.

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline djforce

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 12:09:20 PM »
Wow! that's my story of how I got mine kind of and good review

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »
Great Review dude. It was very helpful.
EEEE[]#>//==================
       ''''''

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:57:22 PM »
As everyone knows the Vader is my fav saber
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Lord Throughlou

• Master Force User
  • may the toast be with you "this is a quote"
Re: Christoph's Vader (ESB) Saber [UPDATED 19/10/06]
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 10:03:08 AM »
  ;D  i relly like these still dont have one though i managed to test swing one of these at my local borders i nearly melted  ;D

Offline Darth Tryanas

• TOTAL JAR JAR
  • No Force
  • BANNED.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 06:47:22 PM »
i agree with you i am curently waiting on mine and the anticipation is horrible but the wondering if its broken in anyway is the worst...

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 06:54:47 PM »
Once again... Topic locked...

OLD TOPIC

Please go see the rules and regulations thread...

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10747.0

retrousse