fiduciary

Author Topic: TFU II STARKILLER CONCEPT TRAILER SABER RUN  (Read 44987 times)

Offline Starwinder

• Master Force User
  • I don't like sand...
Re: TFU II STARKILLER CONCEPT TRAILER SABER RUN
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »
This is going to be one awesome looking TFU II version. All I can say is WOW! On a side note, was there ever a consideration for doing a small run of the "in-game" version as well or strictly just the "promo" version? Definitely not knocking the promo saber at all. The detail on this is fantastic! Looking forward to it! Way to go VV!!  :D

We have :) and will definitely get to it one of these days :)).  We'd like to do the whole "TFU Collection".

That is really awesome!  The TFU saber i'd love to see someday is the rarely-talked-about ceremonial Jedi robes saber (the light side ending bonus costume).

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:23 AM »
How do you guys find the time to answer all my question when you are working on awesome detailed stuff like this?!?!?!
oh woops just asked another one  ;D

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »
Looks awesome! If I didn't already own VV's "Modi" (with same emitter) and similar design cues, I'd be all over this!

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »
  We'd like to do the whole "TFU Collection".

Awesome!!!! ^-^

Offline Master Elenos

• Force User
  • Jedi Exile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »
OMG !

That is awesome, a bit out of my league though, but one can only dream...

Absolutely amazing VV, congrats and good luck with the run.

Offline Obi_Dar

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
Wow, that's a nice looking saber !  I fell in love with this one when I first saw the trailers.

Now, excuse me while I go rob a bank.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Thanks! I just wish they would have used them in the game, and had different hilts that you could 'collect' rather than based on the costume. The in game hilts did grow on me, but I still like the trailer sabers better ^-^

Offline Dark Navel

• Master Force User
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 07:28:30 PM »
Stunning!!

Offline Sanjuro

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Sanjuro Systems
    • Sanjuro Systems
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2014, 07:47:05 PM »
These are stunning.

And too tempting.

Respectfully,
Sanjuro
SANJURO SYSTEMS - Custom Lightsaber Stands, Custom Chassis Disks for Lightsaber builds, and other related items.

My Business - Home

Japan Lightsaber Dueling Guild, Founding Member

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
Thanks! I just wish they would have used them in the game, and had different hilts that you could 'collect' rather than based on the costume. The in game hilts did grow on me, but I still like the trailer sabers better ^-^

I like the "in game" version better BUT these are nothing to frown at!  Great stuff as always :)

Offline Vercify

• Master Force User
  • rawr
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2014, 08:47:52 PM »
What color are the pommel greeblies? The light is playing tricks on my eyes, I cannot tell if two are black, all are black, or all are just bare aluminum lol.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:29:09 PM by Vercify »

Offline Turgon

• Master Force User
  • Epic Bear sez " Can I haz two?"
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 09:19:55 PM »
These are great looking sabers.  I love the chatter about accuracy.  It really tickles me for some reason considering that the artwork varies, is inconsistent, and only exists in digital reality.  How tall is Starkiller?  How big are his fingers?  Enquiring minds want to know. LOL

Seriously, nice sabers.  I like the pommels.  Are those inserts miller or printed?

I've broken Juggers in half, smashed their bones, left the ground behind me wet with brains. There's nothing I wouldn't do to win. But I never hurt anyone for any reason other than sticking a dog's skull on a stake.

Offline STARKILLER

• Lord of the Strings
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • VADER's VAULT MFG
    • Vaders Vault
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
What color are the pommel greeblies? The light is playing tricks on my eyes, I cannot tell if two are black, all are black, or all are just bare aluminum lol.

In the mock-up pic two are indeed bare aluminum, and the other two have been dipped in alumiblack to see what the finish would be. Those have since been stripped down and I will be powdercoating them black and then weathering them from there. The frame by frame and even concept promo shots show more of a shine to the pommel greeblies than would have been present if I just merely blackened the parts. I am not sure whether I will be using anodizing or powdercoating on the final product for the run though.

These are great looking sabers.  I love the chatter about accuracy.  It really tickles me for some reason considering that the artwork varies, is inconsistent, and only exists in digital reality.  How tall is Starkiller?  How big are his fingers?  Enquiring minds want to know. LOL

Seriously, nice sabers.  I like the pommels.  Are those inserts miller or printed?

To a point, I can agree about the accuracy of a game render or even screen prop as there are so many inconsistencies and without a real world prop in front of you with calipers, it will be impossible to get every little detail down to the .001". However, with just a bit of effort and creativity you can get pretty darn close. For example I didn't take this shot:

..and try to guess at what the pommel looks like behind his arms and sort of make up my own thing. I took the shots shown in the first post and also freeze frames of the Malgus (since they are the same pommel) to get a good look at it.

You can get a good idea of the spline on the emitter scallop and cross reference like we did in this shot:

However you also have to keep in mind the variances that occur when translating a 2D drawn image into a 3D part, but you should be able to get it REALLY close. As far as the pommel greeblies, they are milled aluminum pieces. I don't yet have that kind of faith in 3D printed parts to use them....though I am really impressed with the polished brass stuff....maybe for a different project ;).

If I had to guestimate for inquiring minds :)) I'd say Starkiller is about 5'11.5" and 170lbs

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:52:20 AM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 05:43:59 AM »
You can get a good idea of the spline on the emitter scallop and cross reference like we did in this shot:

However you also have to keep in mind the variances that occur when translating a 2D drawn image into a 3D part, but you should be able to get it REALLY close.

I believe most information "extraction" from reference pics (or lost+found pics) to (re)built high quality props go this route. High road. Or High Way. Like they do it on the RPF  :)
(this reminds the recent mind blowing research on the DL44 or the HAL9000 panel). It's paying at the end and it's amazing what you can extract from unfocused or sub resolution / pixelized pictures, when you put some work into it.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:14 AM »

It is our job to study that digital reality and try and bring it into 'our' reality as best as possible. We have a love for the source material and it is important to us.  This isn't just a product that we want to sell.  Any time we pick a saber to do for a run or to replicate from source material, it is because we actually have a love for that source material.  If it was a game, we've played it (and probably are still currently :))), if a movie, we've watched it until we wore it out.  If it is a trailer, we've downloaded and done frame by frame caps.  We would never pick a product to replicate unless we were invested in the source material.  We look forward to welcoming folks with that same love of the source material into our TFUII Concept Saber Family :)).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:27:31 PM by LUMINARA UNDULI »

Facebook: VVFB

retrousse