fiduciary

Author Topic: Xi-Kara: A JYN ARTS Illustration  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
Xi-Kara: A JYN ARTS Illustration
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
So Link approached me to do an illustration of his popular character N.I.C.O.L.E .... the female Artificial Intelligence voice found in his N.I.C.O.L.E font for Igniter(tm) and Spark (tm) boards...

Well... she isn't just an AI... she turns out to be a real person in the SW universe.

Link's background for her and the font demo can be found here: PLEASE WELCOME.... Jedi Master Nicole Xi-Kara

Now he had specific things he wanted for her....  I tried to oblige all of his requests.

Listed below were his requests... and how I approached each of them and applied it to the illustration:

The hair style: Red... with bangs... an up do... a pony tail...my tribute to the beautiful ladies of the Skywalker family... Padme and Leia.... with some very cool braided designs... but in a "tactical" do.

Facial features: Extremely cute... could be a model... huge green eyes to drown in... cute freckles... smaller pointier nose that is almost anime like...

The outfit... she's a master smuggler... yet a Jedi as well...  so in line with keeping her in the "New Jedi Order" timeline... I gave her an arm band with the Rebel Alliance symbol.... her outfit is reminiscent of a few canon characters: Luke with ROTJ bib tunic with a Mandarin collar that is cut short to show off her amazing abs (as per request.... think Lara Croft as a Jedi)... a leather jacket.... short sleeves... so it is sort of smuggler/scoundrel like in the nature of Han Solo... and the shoulder guard... influenced by Kyle Katarn.
The boots... brown with three straps... similar to Obi-Wan's TPM/AOTC boots... but more brown than reddish brown... The belt... NJO era like with the hexagonal buckle.... pouches for communicators... med packs... air breathers, etc...Tighter pants.... but I through in a tactical thigh multi-pouch strapped band.

It all starts with the pose... and this went through a few roughs until I was happy with what you see.

I wanted to evoke a pose that was similar to the World War 2 pinup girls made famous by Vargas models. In addition... there are many influential artist I channeled for this: Adam Hughes, J.Scott Campbell, John Cho...

We talked about how a holocron was something that Nicole put her lessons and reflections on lightsaber combat and construction.... well.... I just so happened to design a holocron. ;)

The illustration... obviously shows her in her natural form as she's dictating to the holocron... as opposed to her "holo-projected" people would later see as she's training them when they attain this holocron. The holocron.. is naturally the one that I designed. More information on that... check my section or pm me. ;)

She's on a Space Cargo Freighter ... doing her "smuggling" thang....

And now... some pictures of the process.

It all starts with a rough sketch for approval:

Next is doing a more finished line on the features of the illustration....

The Space Freighter hallway:

Some shading:

And finally the finished version:

And this is what the beautiful N.I.C.O.L.E looks like and how we arrived to the finished product. ;)

Offline Link

• Formerly known as airframe31
  • Master Force User
  • Soundfont Artist & SIG Maker :)
Re: Xi-Kara: A JYN ARTS Illustration
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »
Amazing work Ray!! I couldnt be happier !! :) Thank you!

Knight50

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 07:41:19 AM »
Awesome work, Ray....you never cease to amaze folks with your talent

Offline KAO CEN DARACH

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Force Relics co-founder, Formerly Ki-Djowac
    • Force Relics
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:48:18 AM »
GREAT work there !! On my way to the nearest starship as we speak to meet this lovely lady ;)

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
Thanks guys.

This was a pleasure to do for Link. He crafted and created such an unbelievable and fun font... when he approached me to do the illustration... with a particular vision with specific details of how he envisioned her..... or at least elements of what he wanted her to look like... the challenge was too hard to pass up.

I thoroughly enjoy doing these illustrations, specifically doing character design (which is why I teach it at the colleges)... and this was a fun one to do as I was able to draw on so many elements for inspiration from different genres while doing this up. ;)

Offline theta03

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »
Very nice Yar Nala. I had a drawing done of the Jedi I created, from someone on another forum I was on. I may put up a bigger picture eventually, but if you want to see a smaller version that would be my avatar.

Offline Jedi Yar Nala

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
Very nice Yar Nala. I had a drawing done of the Jedi I created, from someone on another forum I was on. I may put up a bigger picture eventually, but if you want to see a smaller version that would be my avatar.

Thanks. :)

Very cool... pretty small so I couldn't see the details.

Post it on this board when you do:
Member Illustrations and other Artwork

Would love to see it. :)

Offline tron

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
I love it Ray, you are wicked awesome.. 
Disregard for the rules, disrespecting staff, threatening legal action or inferring it via informing staff of various laws.
Created duplicate accounts to circumvent ban.

retrousse